PDA

View Full Version : Model releases when the model is a mule...

John Kasaian
22-Apr-2008, 20:45
...owned by a large corporation. Can the wrangler sign it, or the stable manager? Or does it need to be a corporate officer maybe?

"Dorothy" is owned by a guest services contractor who has the franchise for guest services within several U.S. National Parks.

What about a mules who are contracted out to the guest services franchisee by as livestock contractor? Whose signature do I need?:confused:

Couldn't I just get Dorothy's hoof print on the form? :rolleyes:

Vaughn
22-Apr-2008, 22:41
Don't know how serious you are, but don't think mules would be covered under a model release...no more than photographing a guest service provider's shuttle bus.

Vaughn

IanMazursky
22-Apr-2008, 22:54
If your serious about record keeping i would get a property release.
Most likely you will need an officer of the owning corporation to sign it.

Capocheny
22-Apr-2008, 23:01
Hi John,

LOL... this is a humorous posting! :)

There are a couple of mules/jackasses that post every so often here on the forum. You might want to ask one of them! :)

Seriously speaking, John, I wouldn't think that a hoof print would be legally binding. However, it would seem to me that getting the signature of the owner of said mule would be appropriate. If that owner is a corporation, then one of the officers (with signing authority) of the company would probably be eligible to sign a release.

Having said that... I'm not a lawyer and, therefore, the above is not to be construed as de facto legal advice. :)

Aren't there a couple of lawyers on this forum?

Brian?

Cheers

John Kasaian
22-Apr-2008, 23:05
Thanks Ian.

I hope they have a corporate officer in my time zone!

IanMazursky
22-Apr-2008, 23:12
Hi John,

If its a medium to large corp and you have a contact there. Have them direct you too the legal dept. One of the paralegals should be able to help you find the best solution to get the release signed. They may even be able to fax a signed copy.
Paralegals are some of the best people in large corporations to work with. They know all and do all.

Good luck!

John Kasaian
22-Apr-2008, 23:14
Capocheny,
Yes, I'm trying to find someone with the authority to sign a property/model release so I can include Dorothy in a photo essay on Sierra Nevada pack mules I'm going to try to finish this summer. Mom and Pop pack stations are easy to communicate with---large corporations are something else :rolleyes:

Capocheny
22-Apr-2008, 23:26
Capocheny,
Yes, I'm trying to find someone with the authority to sign a property/model release so I can include Dorothy in a photo essay on Sierra Nevada pack mules I'm going to try to finish this summer. Mom and Pop pack stations are easy to communicate with---large corporations are something else :rolleyes:

Hi John,

You might also contact the corporation's PR department... if you ask them for their help, I find most people in a PR department are more than willing to do so.

After all, that's (in theory) their job. :)

Yes, large corporations have all sorts of "doors to open." From my experience, if you need to reach a certain executive... be sure to butter up the gatekeeper (his secretary.) They can either make or break the opportunity for you to get in to see the big hondo.

Best of luck on this, John. :)

Cheers

Nick_3536
22-Apr-2008, 23:45
Is the mule of legal age? If not you'll need the guardian to sign.

Frank Petronio
23-Apr-2008, 05:01
I've had numerous dogs sign releases, but make sure they're over 18.

Louie Powell
23-Apr-2008, 07:49
A complication here is that if the mule is working for the National Park Service, the fact that it is compensated from public funds means that it already be in the public domain. Therefore, you may not need a release.

On the other hand, raising the issue of a release then broaches the subject of whether your usage is commercial, in which case you will need a permit from the National Park Service for commercial photography in a park.

That in turn suggests that you may need a lawyer to sort out the complexities. But then it will be difficult to tell the difference between the lawyer and the mule.

Barry Trabitz
23-Apr-2008, 09:52
Lawyers---Mules, don't they all look alike?

Vaughn
23-Apr-2008, 09:55
I've had numerous dogs sign releases, but make sure they're over 18.

"Old goat shoots dog. Film at 11" :p

Vaughn

Jim Rice
23-Apr-2008, 15:36
Not that this is in any way relevant, but when my parents married my uncle named a mule "Bonnie" in her honor.

cyrus
23-Apr-2008, 20:20
you may be kidding but this has come up (http://www.danheller.com/model-release.html#7.2)!

Mules have no property or privacy rights so no release is required to be signed, either by the mule owner or the mule itself - unless the particular mule is a trademark or famous brand.

Property releases are required when you're photographing ON someone else's property, not when you're taking photographs OF someone's property. If you're standing in public, no property release is required to photograph a pet. In the US, some building built after Dec 1990 may be protected but that doesn't apply to mules.

Renato Tonelli
24-Apr-2008, 08:32

You stole my line - be prepared to hear from my mule.

domenico Foschi
24-Apr-2008, 08:57

Mules have no ethics because they are incapable to have them, lawyers instead.........:confused:
Hmm......

SAShruby
24-Apr-2008, 10:57
Finally!!! there was a contribution. Pity, it was mule related. Someone has a very good experience with mules, and lawyers, but not with photography as well as using very good experience how to thread other people with lawyers threads!!!

We're getting just bettwer and better around here. LOL.

Harold_4074
24-Apr-2008, 12:10

Which end of the mule are you thinking of?

domenico Foschi
24-Apr-2008, 12:25
John, you do NOT need a release.
This is really an example of our concept of ownership.
Do we really own a pet or any other kind of animal?

How can we have a voice if someone wants to publish a picture of our pet?
A pet and the "owner" are two separate entities.

GPS
24-Apr-2008, 12:30
...owned by a large corporation. Can the wrangler sign it, or the stable manager? Or does it need to be a corporate officer maybe?

"Dorothy" is owned by a guest services contractor who has the franchise for guest services within several U.S. National Parks.

What about a mules who are contracted out to the guest services franchisee by as livestock contractor? Whose signature do I need?:confused:

Couldn't I just get Dorothy's hoof print on the form? :rolleyes:

Take it in this way -if your model were the president Bush, you would probably need it. For the mule then..?