David A. Goldfarb
18-Apr-2008, 22:33
Looks interesting.

Rory_5244
18-Apr-2008, 23:25
I wonder what the price would be like?

Mattg
18-Apr-2008, 23:53
Looks like an exact copy of the Arca head. hmmm.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like they've yet taken the opportunity to equip it with adjustment knobs any bigger than those on the AS.

Despite the ethical considerations I have to say I might consider one if the price was right (<$400) and the quality was reasonable. It does seem a shame to see someone's design work so blatantly ripped-off though.

Aender Brepsom
19-Apr-2008, 01:36
These guys in Toronto are selling ballheads from the same manufacturer:

http://www.boothphoto.com/home.cfm

I have just send them an email asking for further information about the Multiflex head.
If I'll get an answer, I'll let you know.

Jorge Gasteazoro
19-Apr-2008, 01:52
I never understood the cube, what does it do that any good pan head does not do if you have camera levels?

Andrey Donchev
19-Apr-2008, 02:32
I never understood the cube, what does it do that any good pan head does not do if you have camera levels?

It is geared and permits much finer adjustments of the position of the camera. I use a ball head with the Rolleicord and Manfrotto 410 geared head with my 4x5. The 410 is much more precise and easy to point and straight the camera.

Jorge Gasteazoro
19-Apr-2008, 02:45
I understand that, but how precise do you need to be? I don't know if it has happened to you, but here in Mexico sometimes the buildings are out of plumb. You level everything, you look on the GG, and the lines are all wrong, you actually have to move the camera off level to get it to look right. I always thought the cube was a nice idea but overkill in most situations.

Frank Petronio
19-Apr-2008, 06:08
I think its main application is for digital cameras Jorge... ;-p and to extract money from wallets.

It looks cool but I'd worry about dirt and knocks outside a clean room.

Bill_1856
19-Apr-2008, 06:34
Has anybody translated the weight?

gregstidham
19-Apr-2008, 07:49
Funny how photographers will fight to the death over their copyright, but when a company reverse engineers a product and offers it at the "right" price, the photographers all line up to buy it.

David Karp
19-Apr-2008, 08:09
Is the Cube patented? If yes, is it patented internationally? If no, then why would ARCA or anyone expect that their product would not be copied?

Rory_5244
19-Apr-2008, 08:15
Funny how photographers will fight to the death over their copyright, but when a company reverse engineers a product and offers it at the "right" price, the photographers all line up to buy it.

You're right. I just rescinded my interest. :o

Frank Petronio
19-Apr-2008, 09:26
I don't think a geared stage with a three-way axis is that unique -- the value is in the machining and engineering it takes to make one -- but similar items have existed for other industries for decades (lasers, optics, machining, anything that requires micro-posistioning).

Jeff Keller
19-Apr-2008, 10:31
Google translation doesn't add much ...
<http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ko&u=http://www.monthlyphoto.com/news/news_view.asp&#37;3Fm_seq%3D1%26s_seq%3D373&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=7&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522multiflex%2Bhead%2522%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4DMUS_enUS210US210%26sa%3DG>

evan clarke
19-Apr-2008, 10:48

Instant, precise adjustments..no messing around..EC

evan clarke
19-Apr-2008, 10:50
Is the Cube patented? If yes, is it patented internationally? If no, then why would ARCA or anyone expect that their product would not be copied?

Everyting Arca makes is patented, they will not sell a product until they have a patent.. I have begged them to sell me a couple items..no way..Evan Clarke

evan clarke
19-Apr-2008, 10:53
I think its main application is for digital cameras Jorge... ;-p and to extract money from wallets.

It looks cool but I'd worry about dirt and knocks outside a clean room.

I have used my Cube for 2 years, at Stovepipe wells and on the Northshore of Lake Superior in February (-10 deg. F and it has not missed a move..Evan Clarke

evan clarke
19-Apr-2008, 10:54

Probably not reverse engineered, more like knocked off..EC

Daniel_Buck
19-Apr-2008, 11:04
just about everything is reverse engineered. Look at all the cars we drive, think all those companies came up with the internal combustion engine on their own? :) Or mass manufacturing? Or rack & pinion steering? Look at all of our cameras, don't they all function 90&#37; the same?

mdd99
19-Apr-2008, 16:32
I like the double level, rather than a circular level. Does this mean it has a built-in leveling base for panning?

Kirk Gittings
19-Apr-2008, 16:48
I don't know if it has happened to you, but here in Mexico sometimes the buildings are out of plumb. You level everything, you look on the GG, and the lines are all wrong, you actually have to move the camera off level to get it to look right.

New Mexico too. Sometimes even on new buildings. Must be that spiritual vortex effect which throws levels off, or plate techtonics, or....

Jorge Gasteazoro
19-Apr-2008, 20:34
New Mexico too. Sometimes even on new buildings. Must be that spiritual vortex effect which throws levels off, or plate techtonics, or....

Or the photo gods messing with you... :)

George Kara
20-Apr-2008, 13:33
I recently purchased the cube and had the ability to return it if I didnt want it. The price is so high. Well its the best piece of kit I have purchased in along time. I would never use another head in the studio.

This Korean product is a direct rip off. It looks exactly like the arca. The only question is does it work like the swiss head. The arca cube is as well executed as any swiss watch.

snuck
20-Apr-2008, 16:09
Having had one of these 'swiss watches' I have my doubts as to whether the vaunted quality exists anymore.

Bob Salomon
20-Apr-2008, 16:55
Having had one of these 'swiss watches' I have my doubts as to whether the vaunted quality exists anymore.

Besides Arca is a French company and no longer a Swiss factory.

jb7
20-Apr-2008, 17:40
all my Swatches worked great-

snuck
20-Apr-2008, 20:11
I see your swatches and raise you a swiss army lancer watch that sort of just died..

While it was still alive it had a great deal of trouble actually keeping the time...

Schaubild
21-Apr-2008, 00:04
Does anybody have some information about where to get one of these heads? I'm wondering what they charge for it....

vonstauren
21-Apr-2008, 02:13

Playing with words? How about Ford being a Spanish company and no longer an American factory?

Emmanuel BIGLER
21-Apr-2008, 02:35

Is HP Marketing a US company or a Swedish company ? ;)

----

As of 2008, Arca Swiss has 3 divisions as listed below (this is the publicly available information about companies that anybody can have acces to )

Arca-Swiss Phototechnik AG
http://zh.powernet.ch/webservices/inet/HRG/HRG.asmx/getHRGHTML?chnr=CH-020.3.901.780-5&amt=020&toBeModified=0&validOnly=0&lang=1&sort=0
Einsiedlerstrasse 535
CH-8810 Horgen (Switzerland)
Telefon: 01 725 61 60
Fax: 01 725 64 37
Gesch&#228;ftsvertreter: Herr Philipp Vogt
Beschreibung: Fotografische optische Ger&#228;t Entwiklung Herstellung Handel

--------------------------

ARCA - SWISS International
29, Quartier de l' Europe, Espace Valentin,
F-25048 Besan&#231;on (France)
T&#233;l&#233;phone : (33) 3 81 85 40 60
Fax : (33) 3 81 85 40 69
Activit&#233; : Fabrication d'instruments d'optique et de mat&#233;riel photographique
--------------------------

ARCA Swiss Inc.
532 West Grant Place, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
phone (773) 248-2513

vonstauren
21-Apr-2008, 02:51

----

snip

ARCA Swiss Inc.
532 West Grant Place, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
phone (773) 248-2513

I see... the Arca Swiss is an American company! Thanks, Emmanuel;)

Bob Salomon
21-Apr-2008, 03:23
[QUOTE=Emmanuel BIGLER;341557]Besides Arca is a French company and no longer a Swiss factory.

Our parent company is headquartered in Zug Switzerland. Our parent companies factories are in Sweden and Germany. Our parent company was founded in Sweden, Our company was founded and is established in the USA.

ljsegil
21-Apr-2008, 04:09
So can you get us a deal on Euros so we can afford some of your products?
LJ

vonstauren
21-Apr-2008, 04:46
[QUOTE=Emmanuel BIGLER;341557]Besides Arca is a French company and no longer a Swiss factory.

Our parent company is headquartered in Zug Switzerland. Our parent companies factories are in Sweden and Germany. Our parent company was founded in Sweden, Our company was founded and is established in the USA.

Your parent company is then Swiss, not Swedish, right ?:)

David A. Goldfarb
21-Apr-2008, 04:54
[QUOTE=Bob Salomon - HP Marketing;341562]

Your parent company is then Swiss, not Swedish, right ?:)

Founded originally in Sweden--

http://www.gepegroup.com/index.asp?mainID=62

Bob Salomon
21-Apr-2008, 05:03
[QUOTE=vonstauren;341576]

That is what I said.

"Our parent company is headquartered in Zug Switzerland. Our parent companies factories are in Sweden and Germany. Our parent company was founded in Sweden, Our company was founded and is established in the USA."

vonstauren
21-Apr-2008, 05:20
[QUOTE=David A. Goldfarb;341578]

That is what I said.

"Our parent company is headquartered in Zug Switzerland. Our parent companies factories are in Sweden and Germany. Our parent company was founded in Sweden, Our company was founded and is established in the USA."

And Arca Swiss was originally founded - in France...??

vonstauren
21-Apr-2008, 05:25
[QUOTE=vonstauren;341576]

Do you know where was originally founded the French (according to Bob Solomon :D ) company Arca Swiss?

Bob Salomon
21-Apr-2008, 06:47
[QUOTE=David A. Goldfarb;341578]

Do you know where was originally founded the French (according to Bob Solomon :D ) company Arca Swiss?

Arca was originally Swiss. Several years ago they moved the factory to France.

Aender Brepsom
21-Apr-2008, 06:54
These guys in Toronto are selling ballheads from the same manufacturer:

http://www.boothphoto.com/home.cfm

I have just send them an email asking for further information about the Multiflex head.
If I'll get an answer, I'll let you know.

Here is the answer I got today:

"Contact manufacturer for European sales."

Great help!

vonstauren
21-Apr-2008, 07:02
[QUOTE=vonstauren;341587]

Arca was originally Swiss. Several years ago they moved the factory to France.

In your eyes, does this fact make the Arca Swiss company French now?

Frank Petronio
21-Apr-2008, 07:19
ArcaFrance just doesn't flow....

Alan Rabe
21-Apr-2008, 08:37
How old is the Arca Cube. When was it patented. Patents aren't forever. Usually on 14 years I think. Companies every where sit around and wait for patents to expire and then enter the market with their own knock off at a "reasonable price".

Bob Salomon
21-Apr-2008, 09:24
[QUOTE=Bob Salomon - HP Marketing;341606]

In your eyes, does this fact make the Arca Swiss company French now?

It makes the factory and the products manufactured in the factory French. Otherwise their products could not state that they are made in the EU which is important for some companies and meaningless to others. But Switzerland is not part of the EU.

mrladewig
21-Apr-2008, 10:43
The arca cube is as well executed as any swiss watch.

Funny analogy as the majority of swiss watches are known to be off by a bit (a few seconds to a minute per day).

vonstauren
21-Apr-2008, 12:01
[QUOTE=vonstauren;341609]

It makes the factory and the products manufactured in the factory French. Otherwise their products could not state that they are made in the EU which is important for some companies and meaningless to others. But Switzerland is not part of the EU.

Wait a moment - you said the company is now French, now you speak about the factory being French. Any difference in your eyes between the two (the company and the factory)? I enjoy your logic so far, Mr. Solomon...:)
We won't speak about the American computers being now Taiwanese because produced in Taiwan...

Bob Salomon
21-Apr-2008, 13:58
[QUOTE=Bob Salomon - HP Marketing;341762]

What I don't know is why it is so difficult for you to acknowledge you said nonsense?
And why you don't answer the question - the company is French (as you mistakenly said!) or the factory is French? Now who is more obtuse, Mr. Solomon? :rolleyes:

Why not ask them? Their business office is in Switzerland or in France where their production is.

I'll give you an example. We are a USA company. Our parent company is Gepe Management whose business office is in Zug, Switzerland. The factories whose Gepe products we sell are in Germany and in Sweden. Now what nationality is our company? Or our parent company which was founded originally in Sweden? Our company was founded in the USA.

So you decide. Are they a French company because that is where they manufacture or are they a Swiss company because they may still have an office there?

Are we a US company because we were founded and only have a single location in the US or are we a Swiss company because our corporate parent is located there? Or are we a German comany because our parent has a factory there or a Swedish company because our parent has factories there and was founded there?

Songyun
21-Apr-2008, 14:19
if the price was right (<$400) and the quality was reasonable.

The price is around $800, still decent though.

vonstauren
21-Apr-2008, 14:53

Why not ask them? Their business office is in Switzerland or in France where their production is.

I'll give you an example. We are a USA company. Our parent company is Gepe Management whose business office is in Zug, Switzerland. The factories whose Gepe products we sell are in Germany and in Sweden. Now what nationality is our company? Or our parent company which was founded originally in Sweden? Our company was founded in the USA.

So you decide. Are they a French company because that is where they manufacture or are they a Swiss company because they may still have an office there?

?

Jeff Keller
21-Apr-2008, 15:07
Songyun, did you find a website in english that provided a way to order one?
Thank you, -jeff

Songyun
21-Apr-2008, 15:09
Songyun, did you find a website in english that provided a way to order one?
Thank you, -jeff

No, I had my Korean friend translate it for me. And we are still waiting their response.

Really Big Cameras
21-Apr-2008, 21:53
I thought we lived in the age of the global economy. If so, why does it matter one iota that ARCA-SWISS moved their factory a few km down the road to Besan&#231;on? The only reason they moved the factory to France was so they could sell to EU customers without paying heavy tariffs. You see, France is an EU member and Switzerland is not. So, they moved the factory and many of the employees down the road and across the border so they could offer their EU customers more affordable prices on ARCA-SWISS gear. Nice to know they are looking out for their customers.

I have no idea why anyone would think this is a bad thing, or why there is anything deceitful about it. Most US computer companies have their products built in Taiwan, Singapore and mainland China. Does that mean IBM and Dell aren't US companies? So, ARCA-SWISS is a Swiss company that manufactures products in France. Why is that a big deal? Anyone who uses their products will be glad to tell you they a intelligently designed and the quality is second to none, no matter where they are assembled. Isn't that what's important?

Kerry Thalmann
Really Big Cameras

Mattg
21-Apr-2008, 23:12
The price is around $800, still decent though.

Not decent enough for me to buy one. Maybe I was expecting too much and maybe the quality will be better than I expected.

Struan Gray
22-Apr-2008, 00:37
There are devices called 'goniometers' which are similar to the Arca cube and are used for positioning laboratory optics. Compared to them, even the Arca is a bargain, especially given its range of movement.

For example, here's one at surplus prices:

http://www.lightglassoptics.com/OptoSigma-123-2865-Goniometer-65mm-2-axis-Top-tapped-for-Metric-Fasteners_p_13-557.html

Note, you'll have to add a rail clamp, a tripod attachment, and some kind of gross tilt to get the functionality of the photographic models.

Their stability depends critically on the quality of manufacturing. Korean companies are just as capable of making high technology goods as Swiss ones, but if they're aiming for a cheap version of the Arca there are no guarantees that it will work as well. $800 is too much for me to play guinea pig.

Bob Salomon
22-Apr-2008, 06:41
Thanks Kelly, exactly what I said. :) Just don't say it to Bob Solomon because for him Arca Swiss is a French company :rolleyes: and if you tell him he's wrong, he will start to call you - obtuse, as long as you keep proving him he's wrong.
This approach is asinine, isn't it?

Not knowing any better I have the 2006 Photokina Katalog 2006. Looking up Arca they listed the company trademark owner as:
Arca-Swiss International, 29, Quartier de l'europe, F-25048 Besancon/Frankreich. For those that don't speak German Frankreich is German for France.

So that would make Arca-Swiss a French company.

Even their email address in the Katalog (German for catalog) is arca-swiss@wanadoo.fr.

fr = France And their phone number has a country code of 33 which also just happens to be France.

Now perhaps they could have moved since the 2006 Photokina so I am open to correction.

Really Big Cameras
22-Apr-2008, 10:22
Bob,

Why does it matter so much to you? Seriously.

For the life of me, I just can't begin to understand why you've chosen to make such a huge deal of this.

You know why ARCA-SWISS moved their factory to Besançon. Due to Switzerland's decision not to join the EU, had they not moved production to an EU member nation, their products would have been priced out of the EU market due to the high EU import tariffs. It's really as simple as that.

Or, are you trying to imply that goods manufactured in France are somehow inferior to those made in Switzerland (or elsewhere)? It sure seems like that's what you're trying to do. Last I checked, Gitzo tripods are made in France. And, like ARCA-SWISS cameras and ballheads, many here consider Gitzo products the finest of their type available - regardless of where they are manufactured.

In this day and age, great products are made all over the globe. It really comes down to the company and their commitment to quality.

So, again why are you making such a big deal out of this and exactly what point are you trying to make?

Kerry Thalmann
Really Big Cameras

Anupam
22-Apr-2008, 10:31
Does anyone have any info on the quality and price of their ballheads? They look interesting.

And please quit with the Swiss-French-Timbuktu nonsense!

Once
22-Apr-2008, 10:33
Who's ballheads? The Swiss ones or the Korean ones? Ballheads? Or cubes?

Anupam
22-Apr-2008, 10:49
Who's ballheads? The Swiss ones or the Korean ones? Ballheads? Or cubes?

The Korean ones mentioned in post #5 in the thread.

Once
22-Apr-2008, 11:02
From a friend of mine who stumbled on one I heard the quality is very good. I cannot say anything about the price. Personally, I know a less heavy way how to turn my view camera - I think the cube is a studio animal, not a hiking friend.

Anupam
22-Apr-2008, 11:04
I am asking about the ballheads from post #5!

Once
22-Apr-2008, 11:21

Thank you for waking me, Anupam!:) No knowledge about the ballhead at this end of the line, though.

Aender Brepsom
22-Apr-2008, 11:31

There is a video on YouTube about the ballhead (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTPYidyUzXs&feature=related), and it really looks like a 1:1 copy of the Arca Swiss Monoball. If the copy is well made (which I do not know), the ballhead must be good. :D

Frank Petronio
22-Apr-2008, 11:35
The Markin ballheads are made in Korea and they have a good reputation, although this seems to be a different company.

Once
22-Apr-2008, 11:40
The Markin ballheads are made in Korea and they have a good reputation, although this seems to be a different company.

Maybe, just maybe - the Arca Swiss is now Korean?? :D No, I didn't say that! Forget it!;)

Anupam
22-Apr-2008, 11:41
Thanks. I have written to them but no reply yet. I was thinking about a Feisol or a Markins Q3 and this might open up the field a bit more at the right price. The Markins seems to be the most dependable - in the league of the Acratech, RRS and the Arca heads, really light and priced at $270.

Songyun
22-Apr-2008, 19:21
The geared head is a little bit different than arca cube. It has double pan.
I don't know how to define knock off, but do you consider markins, RRS, kirk ball heads all knock offs?

I only purchased a photoclam QR clamp, for my monopod. It is very well build.
I heard ppl saying that Markins ball head is slightly better than photoclam.

evan clarke
23-Apr-2008, 06:39
I have it on the highest authority that the photo of the Korean 3 axis head is an Arca Swiss with a couple Korean parts added on...Evan Clarke

Songyun
23-Apr-2008, 07:56
By the way, does anyone have information on P1 ball head? especially the weight of the ball head.

jwaddison
24-Apr-2008, 13:31
Bob,

Why does it matter so much to you? Seriously.

For the life of me, I just can't begin to understand why you've chosen to make such a huge deal of this.

Kerry Thalmann
Really Big Cameras

I don't think Mr. Salomon was making a big deal out of this, rather he was simply trying to correct to some misconceptions.

Justin Cormack
24-Apr-2008, 16:09
By the way, does anyone have information on P1 ball head? especially the weight of the ball head.

I have one, 1lb 3oz just weighed it. This is the P1s version.

I like it. Its very stable. I like having the panning at the top, and the ball action works well. I havent used a B1 or Z1 to compare though (or a cube).

Songyun
24-Apr-2008, 16:30
I have one, 1lb 3oz just weighed it. This is the P1s version.

I like it. Its very stable. I like having the panning at the top, and the ball action works well. I havent used a B1 or Z1 to compare though (or a cube).
Thanks Justin,
Z1 sp weighs 1.3 lb which is slightly heavier than P1.
I will figure out the weight of photoclam multiflex.

roteague
24-Apr-2008, 16:40
No, I had my Korean friend translate it for me. And we are still waiting their response.

I don't have the Korean language pack installed on my computer at work, but will see if it is on my system at home if you are still interested. I can read Korean, but my skills at the language are quite rudimentary.

Songyun
24-Apr-2008, 18:22
I don't have the Korean language pack installed on my computer at work, but will see if it is on my system at home if you are still interested. I can read Korean, but my skills at the language are quite rudimentary.
Thanks for the offer, my friend has translated for me already, I asked her to send a message to the factory to figure out how to order, We are still waiting the response. I will update as soon as we hear back from the factory. (They claimed to respond the message within 2 days, but nothing yet) The price is around $800 depends on the exchange rate.

Songyun
24-Apr-2008, 18:25
weight of the head is not listed on their website.

Schaubild
26-Apr-2008, 04:18
Sounds like a very good price. I'm definitively interested :)

Songyun
26-Apr-2008, 06:38
a little update, it seems that they don't like to check email. :( My friend will call them next week.

Tomaas
26-Apr-2008, 09:22
Not decent enough for me to buy one. Maybe I was expecting too much and maybe the quality will be better than I expected.

hello Matt,

You vould be surprised with quality of goods coming from Korea. We buy parts for our yachts and they vould be comparable to those from most any country in quality of material used and construction.

Their building of ocean going tankers and cargo ship is amonst best in the world.

They know what they are doing and can compete with any country if they want to.

Tomaas

Jeff Keller
5-May-2008, 09:00
a little update, it seems that they don't like to check email. :( My friend will call them next week.

Hi Songyun, did you have any luck finding out how to order one?

Songyun
5-May-2008, 11:33
Hi Songyun, did you have any luck finding out how to order one?

If you want to pay by paypal it will cost you $985+$35
If you wire Korean wons to their bank account in Korean it is 798000+40000 wons.
I don't know how to wire Korean wons oversea, I will ask my Korean friends.
If you need detailed information, send me an email, I can forward the message to you.

Songyun
5-May-2008, 11:36
Now I need a long arca type QR plate with two screws for my 810. Any suggestions? I know Kirk sells an 8" long plate, but I have doubt about the compatibility with my arca flip lock.

butterflydream
5-May-2008, 17:00
The head is not yet on the market, their local dealer is getting back order.

(Only in Korean).
http://www.ilchul.co.kr/goodview.php?good_code=02677219652

now the exchange rate is 1001 KRW/USD for receiving wire transfer.

I think I will continue to use my Makins ball head. The price seems to be OK (the price of Arca head is very high here due to strong euro) and they offer lifetime warranty here in Korea. But I think the price will go down if I wait. Or I will wait until second hand is available.

There's no data about weight. If everybody is interested I'll call to ask it.

Here is the manufacturer's site. (Also only in Korean).
http://www.photoclam.co.kr/html/product/product_page_info.htm?key=48

Songyun
5-May-2008, 17:12
The head is not yet on the market, their local dealer is getting back order.

(Only in Korean).
http://www.ilchul.co.kr/goodview.php?good_code=02677219652

now the exchange rate is 1001 KRW/USD for receiving wire transfer.

I think I will continue to use my Makins ball head. The price seems to be OK (the price of Arca head is very high here due to strong euro) and they offer lifetime warranty here in Korea. But I think the price will go down if I wait. Or I will wait until second hand is available.

There's no data about weight. If everybody is interested I'll call to ask it.

Here is the manufacturer's site. (Also only in Korean).
http://www.photoclam.co.kr/html/product/product_page_info.htm?key=48

Thanks, I forgot to mention the weight of the head is 950g.

And I have followed their ball head for a while, It seems that they didn't lower their price.

butterflydream
5-May-2008, 17:24
No, I mean the product is very new and in many cases the actual street price at the shops goes down after time, and that's what I'm waiting. To me the price on the web seems to be "price skimming" as what marketing people call.

Songyun
5-May-2008, 19:09
I have a question regarding these kind of geared head. How would you clean it up, if sand get inside the head.

Mattg
5-May-2008, 19:24
hello Matt,

You vould be surprised with quality of goods coming from Korea. We buy parts for our yachts and they vould be comparable to those from most any country in quality of material used and construction.

Their building of ocean going tankers and cargo ship is amonst best in the world.

They know what they are doing and can compete with any country if they want to.

Tomaas

Hi Tomaas,
yes I didn't mean the quality of Korean goods in general, just this piece, nor was I being disparaging about the quality of Korean goods. My wife is Korean and I've lived there for 18 months. Having worked in a car parts manufacturing firm in Incheon, I have some idea of the QC standards in that industry at least. I'm sure many Korean companies are capable of manufacturing to the highest standards but I was talking about the price/quality trade off for this particular piece of machining. I was actually hoping the price would be much lower and was willing to accept less-than-Arca quality as a result.

I guess time willl tell if the quality is up to scratch but for me the price makes it a purchase for after I win the lottery. Film and paper are more important for the moment.

Matt.

butterflydream
5-May-2008, 19:51
As a Korean, and myself in the business of manufacturing industry, I think I know the dilema of Korean products a little bit. The problem is, if they make the thing right they can do but the price is as high as european / american / japanese products. Nobody will buy Korean at the same price (me neither). So they compromise the quality at 90 - 95&#37; to cut the price, then it's no so much better than chinese or SE asian products and only the price is much higher.

This product is I think the same case. The price is not really attractive to me. I don't know yet but the quality will not be the same as Arca. For me, buying Korean product, even being a Korean and being in Korea, is nearly always a compromise - except for some electronic products. The only benefit is lifetime warranty here and availability in Korea.

I agree, the price must have been or could have been lower - at least they invested much less money to R&D thanks to copy engineering. But if I need geared head, I would buy this one. Arca is very very dear here, so I have to compromise.

dougkirk
6-May-2008, 20:15
A quick google of "Photo Clam" (the words on the actual device) yields:

http://www.photoclam.co.kr/

The price is listed as 798000 KRW, which is $791.27 at 6-may-08 22:06 cdt.

Tomaas
6-May-2008, 21:28
Hi Tomaas,
yes I didn't mean the quality of Korean goods in general, just this piece, nor was I being disparaging about the quality of Korean goods. My wife is Korean and I've lived there for 18 months. Having worked in a car parts manufacturing firm in Incheon, I have some idea of the QC standards in that industry at least. I'm sure many Korean companies are capable of manufacturing to the highest standards but I was talking about the price/quality trade off for this particular piece of machining. I was actually hoping the price would be much lower and was willing to accept less-than-Arca quality as a result.

I guess time willl tell if the quality is up to scratch but for me the price makes it a purchase for after I win the lottery. Film and paper are more important for the moment.

Matt.

Dear Matt,

Thank you for your comment, Matt. We are on the same page.

The quality:price ratio is quite important and we must always bear this in mind. Our parts from Korea are expensive but our clients demand the best and usually do not mind paying the price. The parts we receive from the Korean manufacturers have a low, low failure rate in comparison to those we buy from some other countries.

My fingers are crossed in the hopes that you shall win the lottery soon.

Tomaas

Songyun
16-May-2008, 07:16
Someone knocked my door this morning, and waked me up. When I opened the door, there is a slip from postal office. I rushed outside still be able to catch the truck. Here it is I got a package from Korean.

Aahx
16-May-2008, 11:53
I would love to know how well it is built after you have test run it for a few weeks. Photo's would be nice as well when you have the time? Also.. what was total cost including shipping and duty to your door?

BennehBoy
17-May-2008, 05:47
I'm quite interested in one of these - long term at least :D The 410 Geared head I'm using is just in no way sturdy enough for a 10x8 P2... Do you think this thing would be sufficient? I really don't want to go the ballhead route.

Peter De Smidt
17-May-2008, 19:49
For an 8x10 P2 why not get a Sinar pan/tilt head? That's what I use with an 8x10 P, and it works very well.

BennehBoy
18-May-2008, 00:49
I've thought about it, and may pick one up just to give it a try, but I've been spoiled by geared movements in three directions now.

Jeff Keller
18-May-2008, 15:03
If you can wire Korean money to their bank it will cost a little over $800. If you use PayPal it will cost a little over $1000. Hopefully the pink slip that was left on my doorstep Saturday will turn into a Multiflex head on monday.

The company selling them doesn't seem to have much support for responding to english language email. Songyun provided me enough details to order one. They basically sent me a PayPal request for payment with no other info. After sending them the money, they acknowledged my payment and told me they were ready to ship it as soon as their bank verified that they actually had the money.

Songyun posted a weight of 950g on 5/5 at 17:12

If you want to order one either he or I could provide you enough details.

jeff keller

Does anybody have some information about where to get one of these heads? I'm wondering what they charge for it....