PDA

View Full Version : A Different Verito

wfwhitaker
18-Apr-2008, 10:11
A Wollensak Verito I recently bought is marked f/4.8. The catalogs at Cameraeccentric show the Verito to be an f/4 except for the two shortest focal lengths which are listed as f/6. But this one's marked f/4.8 on both the face of the barrel and on the aperture scale. Does anyone have any ideas?

I can't help but wonder if Wollensak produced some lenses outside of their usual catalog range. Another lens I picked up quite some time ago has all the earmarks of a Verito. The construction looks identical. The mechanicals look like Wollensak of that vintage even though there are no markings. And the image behavior on the ground glass sure looks like a Verito. But this one measures out to be about a 13 inch focal length and that's not a focal length I've ever seen listed. Yes, I'm sure it's not a 14 1/2 inch FL. It's shorter and the lens is physically smaller than my 14 1/2" Verito.

Curiouser and curiouser....

Jim Galli
18-Apr-2008, 10:22
Was the 4.8 a 4 that was ordered perhaps by some customer that wanted a particular shutter that has necked it down to that and the factory faithfully marked it that way? A one off for some customer. Or perhaps similar some customer wants a next smaller barrel size so all his barrels use the same flange and the factory builds and marks it that way for him. I think Wolly would have done that in the 1920's and especially the 1930's when depression had them slowed way down.

The 13" could be...............who knows. My 12" P+S IV is in Wolly barrels interchangeable with an 11 1/2" Verito. It focuses around 13" and in fact someone long ago scratched 13" on the barrel even though the catalog says it's a 12" lens. All the info is on the long front barrel so if it had ever been lost, no one would know what that lens is. When you're focused at infinity and meausre your effective focal length, what would the aperture be, ie. width of glass divided into the fl? Probably get your blood pressure all worked up wondering if it's a Pinkham :D:D If it was it'd have doublets both ends and the finest oof redition you've ever witnessed.

Send me some snap shots. J

wfwhitaker
18-Apr-2008, 11:01
...Probably get your blood pressure all worked up wondering if it's a Pinkham...

It's OK. I'm on my meds... ;)

The 13" is at the house. Might be able to get to it next week to take a couple of photos. I seem to recall that it was slightly slower than f/4 based on my measurements. That was the only thing about it which seemed "non-Verito".