PDA

View Full Version : Getting noticed - shows/competitions

cyrus
15-Apr-2008, 13:19
A younger and sickeningly more ambitious friend asks how he can find photography competitions or shows to enter into in order to get noticed. I don't know since I don't even have my own photo website yet. Any suggestions? O fcourse we're interested in legit competitions.

Martin Miller
15-Apr-2008, 14:43
www.visitcenter.org/resourceCenter.cfm?task=cat&cat=5
www.photolucida.org/
www.artshow.com

Naturally there is some overlap in the listings.

Jon Shiu
15-Apr-2008, 14:47
Mary Virginia Swanson has a blog that announces call for entries.

Jon

Ralph Barker
15-Apr-2008, 23:24
A good question to ask is, "Noticed by whom?" If the objective is gallery sales, shows are probably essential, competitions perhaps less so. If the objective is commercial clients, shows can certainly help, but the approach and the work displayed may be different. Markets also seem to vary somewhat by geography, so what works in one area may not in another.

Gordon Moat
16-Apr-2008, 18:41
If interested in getting more commercial attention, he should check out CommArts, PDN, Lürzer's, and Surface magazines. Each have annuals, and a couple of these have frequent opportunities. However, the level of work is quite high, and getting published in one of these is not easy.

Using juried shows or exhibits to push commercial work is more indirect. More art directed endeavors can valid the creative commercial work you do, though it becomes sort of advertising for your approach. It is less likely to lead more commercial clients your direction, though that can happen. The juried exhibits and invitational exhibits I have done impress my commercial clients, but I get the feeling that if I did not promote those things (the news of them) to those clients, they would not be that likely to just find out by visiting somewhere my images are hanging.

Art photography, strictly for art photography, is another realm. If you want to make a small fortune in this, I suggest starting out with a large fortune.
:D

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

NER
16-Apr-2008, 19:58
The Society for Photographic Education publishes calls for entries and submissions: see
http://www.spenational.org/opportunities/submissions.html

N. Riley
http://normanrileyphotography.com/

Preston
24-May-2008, 07:20
Gordon wrote: "Art photography, strictly for art photography, is another realm. If you want to make a small fortune in this, I suggest starting out with a large fortune."

Ain't that the truth! :D

Shows and direct marketing will certainly help in the "art" realm. I have found that personal contact and referrals garner the most sales. My website has generated some sales, and is a nice adjunct to the other methods, but it is certainly not a be all-end all solution.

-PB

steve simmons
24-May-2008, 07:42
There are many contests, portfolio review situations, etc. all over the country. Getting out to some of these is always helpful. Magazines can be another good source. American Photo has an annual, I think, 50 new and upcoming photographers piece and Aperture is always looking for new talent. Many large format photographers, well known and lesser known, have felt that View Camera was a good place to be seen as well.

Any way to choose, you have to be out there and get seen.

steve simmons

mccormickstudio
27-May-2008, 18:59
I subscribe to a free email from art deadlines list (artdeadlineslist.com). I just received this national call for entries for photography:

Artists Wanted is proud to announce EXPOSURE
(http://www.artistswanted.org/exposure/): a nationwide open call for
photography! All photographers will have their own online portfolio &
receive a complimentary copy of JPG Magazine.

The Top Photographers will be selected by New York Times Photo Editor
Patrick Witty, Supermodel and Fashion Icon Tiiu Kuik, and NYC Gallery
Owner David Kesting for the following award opportunities:

- The Grand Prize: The Top Photographer will have their work presented
in a massive scale photo show on buildings in the top New York City
Art Districts: Chelsea, Dumbo and Williamsburg. Their work will also
be featured at an Opening Event at the Leo Kesting Gallery in
Manhattan on August 9th and they will receive: $2,008 cash, a
full-press promotional campaign and a feature in our upcoming
publication, "The Annual".

- Student Award: The Top Student Photographer will receive a $1,000
scholarship; a feature in "The Annual" and their work will be
presented at the Opening Event.

- Educator's Grant: The Educator of the Top Student Photographer will
receive a $500 discretionary grant and a feature in "The Annual" for
Teaching Excellence.

- People's Choice Award: The public will vote on all the portfolios on
our site and select their Favorite Artist. The People's Choice
Photographer will receive a $500 grant; a feature in "The Annual" and
their work will be presented at the Opening Event.

The Deadline is June 17th.

Submit your best work at:

http://www.artistswanted.org/exposure

Jim Jones
30-May-2008, 09:20
I am sickenly unambitious and lazy. Showing at local art and craft shows and ocasional other venues gets me noticed by the people who really matter: friends and neighbors. It also saves me from the hassle of inflicting my photos upon entrepreneurs who are seeking new sources of renenue.

Photographers more interested in fame and fortune can find better advice in above posts.