PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Ozarks

EuGene Smith
30-Mar-2008, 12:41
Hi! My name is EuGene Smith. I live in North Arkansas, and got my first non-brownie camera, a 4x5 B&J Watson Press (cost me $22), when I was 13 . . . paid it off at $3.00 per week while working as a shoe-shine boy. Lost it in a fire and didn't have a LF camera until about 30 years later, about early 1990's, when I bought a B&J commercial view in a yard sale in Alexandria, VA for $50.

I played at being a LF photographer for about 4 years, and even formed a DC area club, C.A.L.F. (Capital Area Large Format Club) that had about 65 members when I moved back to Arkansas in 1995. Don't know what ever became of C.A.L.F.?

I just recently unpacked from storage my various 4x5 up to 8x10 cameras (B&J Commercial Views), about 40 or so classic lenses (many in dial-set Compurs, my favorite shutter), and assorted other stuff (also bought a Cambo on the unmentionable site). Cleaning it all up, and getting ready to play again after all these years.

Do I know what I am douing? Doubtful, but I always had fun being a photography duffer.

Eu

Eric Biggerstaff
30-Mar-2008, 12:44
Welcome to the forum, I look forward to reading your posts.

Wayne Crider
30-Mar-2008, 12:57
Ahh the Ozarks; I remember going there and swimming in the cold cold water when I lived up Missouri... Sounds like you have quite a collection and of course a nice area to shoot in. I look forward to seeing some photos and welcome to duffers anonymous.

Ralph Barker
30-Mar-2008, 14:59
Welcome to the LF Forum, and back to large format photography, EuGene.

EuGene Smith
30-Mar-2008, 15:05
Thanks, folks. Now I've gotta re-learn all the skills that I have forgotten over the years . . . fortunately, I didn't have much knowledge back then to be fogotten, so the re-learn process shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

Eu

EuGene Smith
30-Mar-2008, 15:08
P.S. I wonder what ever happened to C.A.L.F.? Maybe there are some folks on this forum from the DC metro area who were involved with that group and can give an update. Eu

BarryS
30-Mar-2008, 19:33
Welcome Eu(gene). I've only recently gotten in to large format, but I've never heard of C.A.L.F. If they still exist, perhaps they've gone underground.

Vick Vickery
30-Mar-2008, 19:51
Welcome to group therepy! :)

Hector.Navarro
30-Mar-2008, 20:44
Welcome to the forum EuGene. Greetings from Mexico.

EuGene Smith
30-Mar-2008, 20:45
Barry, I guess LF is rather reactionary in this age of fully automatic P&S digital stuff, and of course DC being the HQ for the PC Police, I suppose C.A.L.F. may well be meeting underground, in the sewer catacombs or one of the unused metro subway side tunnels.

On the other hand, C.A.L.F. may have evolved into a LF club in the area that continues under another name. I found a lot of LF folks when I started putting flyers and newsletters in all the metro area camera shops.

Interestingly, although we reached between 65 - 70 members within one year, none of them knew of the existence of more than 3 or 4 other LF folks in the area. LF folks just weren't networking very much it seemed, but I assure you, there are a lot of them in your area.

Maybe there is an underground club!

Eu

BarryS
30-Mar-2008, 21:04
I thought I'd seen bellows fragments in the metro tunnels--the rumors are true then. :) We have a new LF/alt process group meeting at a new arts center in Rockville and I know some of the APUGers get together sometimes, so there are definitely a few folks around. Scott Davis, a participant here and on APUG may have a better handle on DC area groups because I think he's been involved in LF for a while. I'm also trying to organize some LF/alt process workshops with a few arts groups, so we can get new photographers involved. Sadly, I seem to meet a lot ex-LF photogs.

EuGene Smith
30-Mar-2008, 21:44
I'll check around the house . . . I still have the C.A.L.F. membership list with names, addresses, and phone numbers. From 1995, but even 13 years later a lot of those folks are very likely still around the area. It might make a good "prospect" list for your club, or a newly forming LF group.

Also, I have a two page article I wrote for the Dec. 1994 C.A.L.F. Newsletter entitled "Pre-1940 'Classic' Lens Data". It listed 40 lenses by 14 manufacturers giving their focal length ranges, apertures, and angle of view. Each lens was keyed to a set of diagrams of the lens "formulas". Then at the end was a listing of the required image circle sizes to cover each size film up to 11x14 and a chart showing the image circle factor for each angle of view. This factor, when multiplied by the focal length of a lens, would give the image circle for that lens so you could see if it would work with the film size you are using.

If you want a copy of either, or both, send me an address via PM.

EuGene

John Kasaian
31-Mar-2008, 08:48
Welcome aboard, EuGene!