PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Philippines

ari velazco
22-Mar-2008, 05:28
Hi, I am new to large format photography and I currently have a pacemaker crown graphic and a friend is restoring a 5x7 deardorff for me.

We are still lucky that LF film (ilford mostly) is still available and there is one more remaining custom lab that still process and prints from LF negatives here.

I'm very interested in the whole process and would like to print my own photos soon.

Looking forward to learning more here.

Ari

John Kasaian
22-Mar-2008, 07:56
Welcome aboard, ari!

Doug Dolde
22-Mar-2008, 10:58
Have a nice Easter. Just be sure you don't participate in the crucification rituals.

Capocheny
22-Mar-2008, 11:10
Hi Ari,

Welcome to the club... you'll surely get lots of good, solid information and advice from the folks on this forum.

Start by going to the Large Format Homepage.

Then, do some reading... 3 very good books are:

1. Using the View Camera - Steve Simmons

2. Large Format Photography and Landscape - Jack Dykinga

3. A User's Guide to the View Camera - Jim Stone

A bit of a learning curve but well worth the effort.

Cheers

ari velazco
22-Mar-2008, 18:41
Thank you for the warm welcome guys. Ive stayed up late lastnight browsing on the threads. Very informative.

Will try to pick up those books you mentioned Capocheny. Thanks

Ari

Uri Kolet
22-Mar-2008, 21:06
Welcome from Vancouver in the Canadian Rockies, Ari; glad to have you here.

ari velazco
13-Apr-2008, 08:53
I finally got the 'dorff' yesterday. thanks to my friend for making it happen. Re-plating and re- finishing the wood for me. One minor set-back though, I couldn't screw in my tripod quick release plate onto the baseplate,the male screw could not reach the groves. Any suggestions to go about it? Using a manfrotto 3way head.

Thank you

Ari
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3148/2410104380_8e8a466451_m.jpg
production #155

Ralph Barker
13-Apr-2008, 10:56
Welcome to the LF Forum, Ari.

John Kasaian
13-Apr-2008, 19:38
Perhaps there s a longer 1/4-20 thread available for your quick release plate? Does your tripod head screw "catch" the female thread?

You've got one gorgeous camera, btw!

Donald Miller
13-Apr-2008, 21:56
Hello Ari,

I last visited the Philippines a year ago...Manila and later Laog City...I love the islands.

Now on your question, I have had three Deardorff cameras at one time or another...one of the cameras, had an insert in the tripod thread casting and if this were missing, it would prevent your tripod from attaching to the camera. You should have a 1/4 20 female thread showing...another thing would be if the starting threads are worn and stripped...if that is the case, I would opt to drill and tap the casting to 3/8 and install a bushing to bring it back to 1/4 20...a camera store would be most likely to carry this bushing.

ari velazco
14-Apr-2008, 05:42
John, Ive tried going to the manfrotto store but they have one size only...:(

Donald, you are right, I think the problem is with the starting threads..

By your suggestion, does it mean that i drill a bigger openning and insert a bushing with an openning of 1/4 20?

Thank you very much guys

Ari