PDA

View Full Version : Gnassgear ripoff

dom
20-Mar-2008, 07:47
I ordered a product Sept 07, he charged my Visa, he won't reply to emails and his phone is disconnected. Most Credit card companies won't let you file a dispute after 60 days, mine made an exception. Maybe they will have better luck tracking him down. As far as I'm concerned the guy is a thief.

SAShruby
20-Mar-2008, 08:19
I'm not gonna comment on your post but I will make an observation.

This guy is very strange, he has an excellent product everyone likes, but very lousy management. Obviously he needs to hire a professional.

Steve Feldman
20-Mar-2008, 08:30
Ron Wisner?

Heh heh.

John Schneider
20-Mar-2008, 09:25
I bought two Gnass lens cases (4x5 and 8x10) from Photomark last week; they still have a couple if anybody might be interested.

dom
20-Mar-2008, 16:34
Strange is OK, but take my money and run is another story.

Eric James
20-Mar-2008, 20:53
Strange is OK, but take my money and run is another story.

It's called theft. I returned a camera case to him once because it was grossly over sized for its intent. It took four phone calls for him to reverse the charge - this after I was told it would happen automatically upon the items return.

Justin Black
20-Mar-2008, 21:48
The way your situation is being treated isn't right, and I agree that you have a right to be upset. However, I would be very surprised if Gnass was being deliberately dishonest. In my experience, I would bet that he is just being a bit flaky, but that he will come through in the end. All of my orders have been flawless.

Andrew O'Neill
20-Mar-2008, 22:11
I've heard a lot of complaints about this guy...enough that I wouldn't take the risk.

Daniel_Buck
20-Mar-2008, 22:21
That's a shame, I have a gnass 4x5 film holder velcro 'folder' that holds 8 holders I believe, on loan to me from a family member. It's such a great product! I would like to have one more for myself, and something similar for 8x10 holders! Are there any other comparable products to his that are still in production?

Dave Jeffery
20-Mar-2008, 23:21
Try http://www.photobackpacker.com

Nice strong light cases. I have no affiliation with them.

Brian Ellis
21-Mar-2008, 08:14
The way your situation is being treated isn't right, and I agree that you have a right to be upset. However, I would be very surprised if Gnass was being deliberately dishonest. In my experience, I would bet that he is just being a bit flaky, but that he will come through in the end. All of my orders have been flawless.

A bit flaky when he hasn't returned money sent to him last September? There comes a point where it's just a matter of semantics whether someone is a bit flaky or a bit crooked - the end result is the same for the buyer. There are some people about whom you never hear a complaint - Keith Canham, Dick Phillips, and Jim Andrecki come to mind. Then there are those fortunately few about whom you hear constant complaints. Deal with the former, avoid the latter. This guy is one of the latters.

Ron Bose
21-Mar-2008, 08:49
Something out of the ordinary must have happened to Justin Gnass.

Just wish we had a way of knowing what.

I don't know if I was just lucky, but each of the four orders I placed with them (2 or 3 years ago) went through without a hitch and I received my stuff quickly.

The quality and design of this stuff is second to none ...

John Z.
21-Mar-2008, 09:40
When I ordered a case a few years back it took a long time, and there was something going on about him moving and the phone was disconnected, etc., but I finally got the case after a few months. I would suggest hanging in there.
His cases are top notch quality.

dom
21-Mar-2008, 12:20
If he's slow OK, but maybe he should charge the CC when he ships, not when he accepts the order. I posted the info as a heads up for anyone thinking of ordering from him.

Capocheny
21-Mar-2008, 12:36
I don't know if I was just lucky, but each of the four orders I placed with them (2 or 3 years ago) went through without a hitch and I received my stuff quickly.

The quality and design of this stuff is second to none ...

Have to agree with Ron's comments above... however, I agree with the idea that sellers should NOT post a charge until the item is ready to be shipped.

It also makes good business sense to keep people informed as to production/delivery issues (much to Dave Parker's credit) since buyers "look forward to" receiving their purchases. If there is a creditable explanation, people tend to be more forgiving. Few people will deliberately choose to deal with sellers who have bad reputations!

When I ordered my cases... Justin promised they'd be delivered by a specified date. In spite of the package having to cross the border (and being subject to the routine Customs treatment) the cases arrived right on schedule!

Cheers

vann webb
21-Mar-2008, 12:41
"Due to unforeseen circumstances, the GnassGear online store has been temporarily suspended."

Something is afoot. Dunno.

Ash
21-Mar-2008, 12:47
Some may have said the same about Dave Parker recently when tragic circumstances forced a halt to his business. He was vocal of everything that happened, maybe this guy isn't so forthcoming with the bad news.

We'll see. Don't hang him before the jury's say so.

Dave Parker
21-Mar-2008, 13:31
My Business has not come to a halt....let me make that clear, I am still producing glass virtually every day, we ended up behind a power curve with the many things that have happened over the last 3/4 of a year(I just recently was released from the hospital again, due to surgery to repair my back that was broke in September), and yes, I have refunded some orders..I agree, the customer needs to continue to be informed about what is going on, but understand that sometimes, depending on circumstances can be difficult, when you have personal problems, situations or tragedy happen in your life, that is one of the last things you think about. One thing many people don't realize, many of us that continue to support the community, do it on a shoestring and prayer, we are the same people as you are, we were simply a person, that couldn't find what we wanted when we went looking and decided to try and find a solution to the situation, and figured somebody else could use that solution.. Most of the time, we are one or two person shops...and like in my case, all products are done by hand...We don't have big bank accounts behind us, we have to charge when an order is taken, in order to help continue the pace of supplies to keep the business running..but again, most of us, didn't start this out as a business...

I agree, Justin, should probably update things a bit more frequently, so people know what is going on, I can say from my own personal experience, the community is very forgiving and understanding, but I can also tell you, it is difficult to disclose personal matters to a group of people that you really don't know except for a few emails and posts on a chat page..I am not making excuses, but I am willing to see what is going on before I condemn someone as a thief, or a crook, or a scam...

I do hope, what ever is going on in his life, continues to get better and he can get back on track...

Dave Parker

Ash
21-Mar-2008, 14:54
Sorry Dave, didn't meant to misrepresent. :)

Capocheny
21-Mar-2008, 14:55
...(I just recently was released from the hospital again, due to surgery to repair my back that was broke in September), and yes, I have refunded some orders..I agree, the customer needs to continue to be informed about what is going on, but understand that sometimes, depending on circumstances can be difficult, when you have personal problems, situations or tragedy happen in your life, that is one of the last things you think about.

I agree, Justin, should probably update things a bit more frequently, so people know what is going on, I can say from my own personal experience, the community is very forgiving and understanding, but I can also tell you, it is difficult to disclose personal matters to a group of people that you really don't know except for a few emails and posts on a chat page..I am not making excuses, but I am willing to see what is going on before I condemn someone as a thief, or a crook, or a scam...

I do hope, what ever is going on in his life, continues to get better and he can get back on track...

Dave Parker

Hi Dave,

You're absolutely right about how difficult it is to self-disclose. However, I wouldn't request, or expect, a disclosure of ALL of the intimate, personal details involved.

My point was that it's important to just let buyers know the very superficial details of what is holding up delivery of their orders such as, "I'm having some personal issues so I can not be as attentive to details as I normally am."

Or, "we've run out of x-materials so this is holding up our production line."

Or, "we've had a key piece of equipment break down on us."

That's the sort of explanation I was referring to... :)

Anyway, I hope your recovery is on-track and moving forward successfully...

Best wishes

Cheers

Kirk Gittings
21-Mar-2008, 15:46
"Due to unforeseen circumstances, the GnassGear online store has been temporarily suspended."

Something is afoot. Dunno.

That has been up since last October as I remember it and never updated.

Dave Parker
21-Mar-2008, 15:51
Sorry Dave, didn't meant to misrepresent. :)

No Problems on this end Ash!

:p

Dave

Michael Kadillak
21-Mar-2008, 16:16
I feel fortunate that I only lost $90. I am completely perplexed as to how easy it is to just communicate (as did Dave Parker - thanks by the way) as we are a very forgiving and understanding group. Yet these jokers decide to do nothing like they expect that ignoring their responsibilities as business owners will make the problem go away.

He had a good gig going and he pissed it away. Wonder what happened and what he is doing to make a living?

Onward!

buze
21-Mar-2008, 16:43
Well, I only lost $37.90 to Dave Parker's business, and I've been out on the internet long enough to have to snigger cruelly when I read personal stories about sellers failing to deliver the goods.

I had /everything/ from sellers; from "the dog ate the lens" to multiple accidents, rare illnesses, dreadful family troubles and various other personal ailments (or any combination of these, depending on the week). However the Dog one is personal favourite.

Yeah and yes, I asked a couple of times -- I expected to wait after all, after the previous order--, and he asked for the payment details about 2 month ago after I mentioned it here, and I never heard anything again afterward...
Oh no it's not a lot of money, but I understand the OP feelings very well. Note that I don't throw large stones any way either, I've got a very long turnabout too, but at least I don't claim to be a business... :D

Date: 06/05/2007 18:23
Payment Details
-----------------------------------

Transaction ID: XXXXXXXXXXXX
Item Price: $24.95 USD
Total Postage: $12.95 USD
Total: $37.90 USD
Order Description: 8 X 10 Satin Snow(TM) Ground Glass Inter
Item/Product Number: GG8x10I
The following options were included with this payment: Clipped Corners: Clipped Corners-Yes
Clip Corner Size: 1/2 Clip

Buyer: Michael Pollet
Message: Hi! I'm very happy with my 4x5 SS glass (even if it took.. errr... many months to arrive!) on my Crown Graphic.
In any case this glass is for my Tachihara 8x10 double-bellows.
I think the cut corners are 1/2", but being metric myself, I'm only partly sure about it...
Please keep me posted as to when this one could ship... I hope it's not another multi-months wait

Dave Parker
21-Mar-2008, 17:26
Well, I only lost $37.90 to Dave Parker's business, and I've been out on the internet long enough to have to snigger cruelly when I read personal stories about sellers failing to deliver the goods.

I had /everything/ from sellers; from "the dog ate the lens" to multiple accidents, rare illnesses, dreadful family troubles and various other personal ailments (or any combination of these, depending on the week). However the Dog one is personal favourite.

Yeah and yes, I asked a couple of times -- I expected to wait after all, after the previous order--, and he asked for the payment details about 2 month ago after I mentioned it here, and I never heard anything again afterward...
Oh no it's not a lot of money, but I understand the OP feelings very well. Note that I don't throw large stones any way either, I've got a very long turnabout too, but at least I don't claim to be a business... :D

Buze,

I did send you a PM back, apparently you didn't get it, I will refund your purchase, and I am sorry, you feel this way. By the way, your message was sent to me on the 6th of February, not two months ago..

Now one question I would like to ask everyone, WHY in the hell is it always the sellers fault, I have lost so god damn many orders due to the various postal services around the world it is not funny, but most don't want the "Excuse" that something may have happened..I sell a product at about $12.00 on average, and the 8x10 costs $25.00 and the shipping with insurance and tracking to just England can be $30.00 and I always get WOW that is to much, then I am expected to make another screen and ship it, because many customers don't want to pay the price to have the product shipped to them in a manner that will ensure we can figure out what the hell happened to it if it gets lost..

Again, Buze, I will send you a refund, and you will BE out nothing.

Dave

Dave Parker
21-Mar-2008, 17:31
Michael, a refund has been sent in the amount of $37.90 US, you should receive an email letting you know that, so you have lost nothing, but a bit of your time.

Good Day..

Dave

buze
21-Mar-2008, 17:53
Thanks Dave, got the notice etc. Note that I wasn't particularly pushy on you -- as I said, I just can't be the one to throw the first tone on this topic --; I waited about 6 months to get my first SS order, so I was already half-disillusioned when I ordered that one 10 months ago as my message pointed out...
I'm certainly glad I ordered an Ebay-seller glass and it arrived in the same week tho, "just in case"... Otherwise I'd have my 8x10 sitting glassless up to.. well... now.

I mentioned before, a long time ago, that your product was too cheap. Now I understand why of course but well, you'd make more money /out of the same amount of work/ if you just got a local kid keepping track of that persky ordering thing for you....

Dave Parker
21-Mar-2008, 18:04
Buze,

I am glad you got the notice...Where I live, there are no local kids to take care of anything.

In the future, I will NO longer ship any international shipments with out Insurance and tracking, period, I have had so many tell me they never got there order, that it is getting ridiculous, I can't believe that 6% of my international orders don't arrive at their destinations, that is unacceptable, I have sold 35K screens in the last 4 years, 46% of them have been to international destinations, and 6% of them have claimed to never arrive..That is close to 1000 screens that are claimed to be "lost" I have a very difficult time accepting that, I have never once questioned anyone, either domestic or international, I make a new screen and ship it, period..But I can no longer do this, If you don't want to pay the shipping costs from the US with insurance and tracking, then I would suggest you get a hold of Geert in Belgium, as this may be an easier way to go, with less costs involved.

I am sorry to everyone that I said the "Dog ate my homework" But I have to draw a line somewhere..

Dave

Dave Parker
22-Mar-2008, 07:41
Just wanted to post an apology to anyone that I may have offended last evening, I did get a bit irritated and reading back through this, I imagine, I might have offended some, again, I am sorry.

Dave

Joseph O'Neil
22-Mar-2008, 08:06
Hi Dave;
I do not think you need to apologize at all. I have a mail order business too, and my experience is EXACTLY the same as yours. Unless you ship expedited/express/whatever, about 10% of my shipments get "lost" outside USA or Canada.

Or damaged. Always damaged, and then people want a full refund or exchange or whatever. The shipping company, regardless of insurance, provides proof they were not reponsible, so I am stuck in the saddle so to speak.

not fun at all.
joe

Gary Beasley
22-Mar-2008, 08:13
Don't be hard on yourself Dave. That was an intelligent move on the insurance and tracking, and there will always be cheapskates out there who want everything for nothing. I for one believe in your integrity and hope others can see the same in you.

Rakesh Malik
22-Mar-2008, 09:13
Just as an FYI, I wandered into the Outdoor Research store a couple of weeks ago, and saw that they have some pouches similar to the lens pouches that PhotoBackpacker sells. OR makes some pretty good gear, so that might be a good choice also.

I'm planning to head back over to their store sometime with my 720mm lens so that I can make sure that I get a pouch that fits it properly :)

jeroldharter
4-Nov-2008, 11:31
I have several Gnass products and they are all excellent. However, > 1 year ago I ordered a focusing cloth. The item was charged to my credit card immediately. I knew it sometimes took awhile to get the merchandise so I waited and then forgot about it for some months. Then I sent an email... Nothing has ever happened, the website is down, and I am out of my money. Too bad. I wish someone would copy his design for for the bag that holds 4x5 film holders.