PDA

View Full Version : dodgy dealer or no?

jimi-the-jive
18-Mar-2008, 12:56
i jus found this place on the web that has a particular lens i'm looking for. www.ritzcam.com has anyone ever dealt with them before? If so how was your experience?

Ralph Barker
18-Mar-2008, 13:08
Thread moved as the dealer has nothing to do with large format.

David Luttmann
18-Mar-2008, 13:22
Thread moved as the dealer has nothing to do with large format.

Really???

These look large format related:

http://www.ritzcam.com/catalog/index.php?category_id=350

as does this:

http://www.ritzcam.com/catalog/index.php?category_id=351

and this:

http://www.ritzcam.com/catalog/index.php?category_id=352

Honestly,

Maybe some research before a reaction would be appropriate!

Oh, and yes, they are a decent dealer.

Doug Dolde
18-Mar-2008, 13:40
Ralph Barker is not a real person, just a dog named Ralph.

Ralph Barker
18-Mar-2008, 13:46
Ralph Barker is not a real person, just a dog named Ralph.

Is that lke a potential former member named Doug?

Insulting the moderators is not a wise strategy.

Ralph Barker
18-Mar-2008, 13:49
Really???

. . some research before a reaction would be appropriate!

Oh, and yes, they are a decent dealer.

Their home page lists nothing in the way of LF gear - just small format. We don't always have the time to spend finding the nooks and crannies of a dealer site. Sorry about that.

Dave Parker
18-Mar-2008, 14:09
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Frank Petronio
18-Mar-2008, 14:26
Perhaps Ralph thought of Ritz Camera the mass market consumer retailer found in many malls... this is a different Ritz Camera. Very confusing.

(But Doug's still a dork lol)

I've bought Leica stuff from Sandy Ritz and it was a fine transaction with accurate descriptions. It's a professional operation, small business.

Ralph Barker
18-Mar-2008, 15:22
I moved it back, although it's not clear Jimi had more success in finding the LF gear than I did, or whether he was really looking for small format gear.

Frank - I'm familiar with the company for Leica and similar gear, too.

jimi-the-jive
18-Mar-2008, 15:40
I was looking at the large format section but i should have mentioned that, my mistake. not the moderators.

Brian Schall
18-Mar-2008, 17:53
I've dealt with this shop before. Very straight up. One of the best to deal with. They are not associated with Ritz Camera found in every mall in the country.

Vick Ko
18-Mar-2008, 18:37
I've bought from them.

They are a fine outfit, and knowledgeable about what they sell.

...Vick

jnantz
18-Mar-2008, 20:09
about a year ago i bought a pen ft from them.
they noticed a problem as they
inspected it (again) before shipping it to me.
they decided to give me a better
one for the same price.

i would not hesitate to buy from them again.

john

rls
18-Mar-2008, 20:22
Insulting *anybody* is not a wise strategy.

But if a subtle attempt at humor is grounds for account termination, go ahead and remove mine now.

Lighten up....

Back on topic, no problems with Ritz, and I'd recommend them.

Cheers, Rob

Is that lke a potential former member named Doug?

Insulting the moderators is not a wise strategy.

Oren Grad
18-Mar-2008, 20:29
I purchased a quarter-plate Graflex from Sandy Ritz and received excellent service on the transaction.

He's obviously not primarily a LF dealer, but there are separate pages for LF cameras and lenses in his online catalog, and he usually has at least a handful of interesting items in stock.

Bill_1856
18-Mar-2008, 21:25
If he's so honest, why is he using the ritzcam.com name?

Frank Petronio
18-Mar-2008, 21:39
He is named Ritz and has been in business for many years. Hopefully people should be able to tell the difference between a photography collectibles business and a mass-market retailer. IDK but it is very likely he bought the domain in his name before Ritz Photo tried, or Ritz Photo never wanted ritzcam....

Tomaas
19-Mar-2008, 01:20
Insulting *anybody* is not a wise strategy.

But if a subtle attempt at humor is grounds for account termination, go ahead and

Cheers, Rob

You do need to understand big differences between "insulting somebody" and a "subtle attempt at humor."

In your world this may be same but it is different in most civilized encounters between civilized people. You can introduce subtle attempt at humor without being insulting.

David A. Goldfarb
19-Mar-2008, 07:58
I bought a folding MF camera from Sandy Ritz--I forget which one--and something else, and as I recall, it was a positive experience.

Steve Hamley
19-Mar-2008, 08:22
I have two experiences with ritzcam.com. The first was a Sekonic light meter that i still use, bought several years ago. The second wad a Deardorff reducing back described as something like "excellent" or 9 (something like that). The pictures were deceiving and the back had structural and cosmetic problems. They took it back without problems and refunded my money.

I also had inquired about a lens they had described similarly, and the person I contacted actually went out and looked at it and informed me that it had a scuff on the rear element. I did not buy the lens.

I would say they are a reputable dealer, but reading between the lines, maybe they don't have a dedicated LF guy that's evaluating all the LF wares. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them if they had something I really wanted. They communicate well and accept returns and resolve problems.

Cheers,

Steve