PDA

View Full Version : Price of a new bellows......

BigSteveG
16-Mar-2008, 12:33
Wow...$319 for the Cambo SC I just bought. Rotating back is $650.....jeeezz. I took a few polaroids w/ the SC and they didn't look quite right. Upon examination, I see the bellows has a few areas which light is passing through. Also, the bellows is pretty dry as well. So the fix: I had thought and also read here afterward the rubber dip used for tools, etc might a good light proofing method so I will try that. Now what about some treatment for the bellows itself? What is good as a conditioner? Are there any cheaper alternatives for a new bellows? I'm wondering if other manufacturer's bellows' would work. Any leads? I was hoping to put the Cambo through its paces next Saturday at Joshua Tree.

Dave Parker
16-Mar-2008, 13:23
I have used the rubber dip and was not happy with the results, it sticks to itself, I use gaffers tape on the corners and have for quite a while now and been very pleased with the results...I would keep an eye on on ebay, I have seen bellows on there often over the years to replace your worn bellows..for the time being, take an extra dark cloth with you and drape over the bellows while you are shooting.

Dave

BigSteveG
16-Mar-2008, 13:29
thanks dave. great idea.

audioexcels
16-Mar-2008, 13:56
thanks dave. great idea.

Ebay has Cambo/Calumet bellows come up often. I have a leather bag bellows for one if you are interested in them;).

BigSteveG
17-Mar-2008, 09:10
Thanks Audio, I have the wide angle bellows already.

audioexcels
17-Mar-2008, 09:22
Thanks Audio, I have the wide angle bellows already.

I tried:):):)

They do come up very cheaply on Ebay. I have had some in past and sold them for like $40. I have also seen some off-takes that are very reasonably priced. I would "not" pay an independent type company to make new ones=$$$$. If it was an exclusive type camera, I would definitely pay one of these companies to make the bellows, but this camera you have is universal and bellows come up on Ebay consistently. Just do a search for Cambo/Calumet and also look at past auctions to get an idea of what they are going for. Because these cameras are so cheap as a whole, people salvage them/part them off due to being able to get more for individual parts.

Ron Marshall
17-Mar-2008, 09:31
KEH has a wide selection of bellows:

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=LF199990206080&brandcategoryname=Large%20Format&Mode=&item=0&ActivateTOC2=&ID=58&BC=LF&BCC=7&CC=19&CCC=21&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=

BigSteveG
17-Mar-2008, 12:39
Ron,
Thanks for the tip. Don't know why I didn't think of KEH.