PDA

View Full Version : New 7x17 Film Holders

Barry Young
6-Mar-2008, 13:19
We are proud to announce that Young Camera Company is now accepting requests for 7x17 film holders.

Our film holders are of the highest quality with the following features

Made in the USA on computer controlled machines
Made from the finest quartersawn American Cherry milled to our
specifications from certified renewable plantations
Cherry is one of the most dimensionally stable woods on earth
Our craftsmen have over 20 years experience in the aerospace industry in
quality control, inspection, toolmaking, and process engineering
End user serviceable and replaceable light traps
Finet quality beryllium copper fingerstock and velvet used in the light traps
Our dark slides are made from stable, tough, impact resistant black phenolic
Dark slide handles are riveted in place with custom made large diameter
tubular brass rivets rather than nails to eliminate teraring the dark slide
blade
All of our holders comply to the new 2008 industry standard for size, rib lock
location, and T dimension

The price for 7x17 holders is currently $400.00 each. For a limited time, if you buy four at regular price we will give you the fifth for free. This makes the price $320.00 each if you buy five. Shipping is not included in this price. Email for shipping cost.

We will not accept payment or deposits until your holders are ready to ship. We will ship within two business days of your payment clearing our bank. We will never accept payment for something that is not ready to sell.

We have a queuing system set up for film holder requests. When we receive your email requesting film holders your request will enter the queue. As film holders become available the oldest request in the queue will be satisified first. When your film holders are ready, we will contact you requesting payment. We will reserve your holders for five business days awaiting a response from you. After five business days, if we do not hear from you, the film holders go to the next person in the queue.

We will have photos available within the next two weeks.

Please email requests to: barryjyoung@yahoo.com

Thank you,

resummerfield
6-Mar-2008, 17:47
....All of our holders comply to the new 2008 industry standard for size, rib lock location, and T dimension......I wasn't aware of this standard. Would you give the specs, so I can compare to my current AWB holders? Thanks!

Barry Young
6-Mar-2008, 21:52
I wasn't aware of this standard. Would you give the specs, so I can compare to my current AWB holders? Thanks!

Hello:

I would be happy to. What format? 7x17?

Good luck.

RichardRitter
7-Mar-2008, 06:38
You have to remember the new standard will not fit all cameras. The older banquet cameras require a narrower holder about 1/8 and the rib lock has to be in a different position. The longer flap can also be a problem. But these little problems can dealt with if you have an older camera.

The main thing did you solve the light leak issue at the flap end? The reason I ask is I have worked with just about all the different holders made and at different times of the year different holders leak light.

MenacingTourist
7-Mar-2008, 11:21
Barry,

Great to see things moving forward for you. Best of luck :)

Alan.

steve simmons
7-Mar-2008, 12:48
In the Jan/Feb 08 issue of View Camera there is an extensive article about ULF film holders and the problems with them.

steve simmons

Barry Young
7-Mar-2008, 17:17
Barry,

Great to see things moving forward for you. Best of luck :)

Alan.

Thank you Alan. I appreciate that.

Turner Reich
7-Mar-2008, 19:22
You have to remember the new standard will not fit all cameras. The older banquet cameras require a narrower holder about 1/8 and the rib lock has to be in a different position. The longer flap can also be a problem. But these little problems can dealt with if you have an older camera.

The main thing did you solve the light leak issue at the flap end? The reason I ask is I have worked with just about all the different holders made and at different times of the year different holders leak light.

Well, did you?

Barry Young
9-Mar-2008, 02:17
Well, did you?

Was this directed towards me? I believe our holder has features that will avoid light leaks due to humidity change throughout the year, yes.

I didn't realize that there was a question asked of me. It seemed like a rhetorical question to me. I thought it was simply Richard Ritter providing information. I solved that problem two years ago or I would not be selling holders.

Richard Wasserman
9-Mar-2008, 08:46
Barry,

I'm a bit late, but I want to wish you the best of luck with your new endeavor. I'm sure these holders are beautifully made and will be a joy to use.

Richard

Barry Young
10-Mar-2008, 00:48
Barry,

I'm a bit late, but I want to wish you the best of luck with your new endeavor. I'm sure these holders are beautifully made and will be a joy to use.

Richard

Thank you Richard, nice to hear from you again. I hope things are going well for you.

Mike Castles
10-Mar-2008, 05:20
Wow Barry, congratulations. It is good to see another maker of filmholders out there. Good luck, and keep us posted. Those of us using ELF (Exotic Large Format), rather than ULF welcome any new source - these would be those odd formats like 4x10,5x12,7x11,10x12, etc. Not ULF, but not standard formats either.

Barry Young
11-Mar-2008, 01:41
Wow Barry, congratulations. It is good to see another maker of filmholders out there. Good luck, and keep us posted. Those of us using ELF (Exotic Large Format), rather than ULF welcome any new source - these would be those odd formats like 4x10,5x12,7x11,10x12, etc. Not ULF, but not standard formats either.

Hello Mike:

Currently 5x12, 7x17, 8x20, 11x14, 12x20, 14x17, 18x20, and 20x24, are standardized enough for them to be made more as a commodity than as custom items. The price that would be required for custom film holders in the sizes you mention except 5x12 would be very high indeed because rather than benefitting from the savings to be had by mass production techniques, they would have to be made in small lots for each specific camera. On the other hand, if ELF users can stimulate the kind of agreement on a standard like has recently happened with the formats I mentioned, I would be happy to make them at a reasonable cost. After I have inventory of the common formats. I very much shy away from custom work.

Thanks for your interest and good wishes.