PDA

View Full Version : Removing septums from holders

cyrus
4-Mar-2008, 15:57
I got these Linhof 9x12 glass plate holders but they have septums inside intended to hold film. I want to remove the septums so they can go back to holding glass sheets -- but I can't figure out how to remove the septums for the life of me! Anyone have any hits/suggestions? Usually, there is a part on an edge of the holder that folds down over the septum (or glass) that holds it in place, but these seem to be lodged permanently in there -- however the septums are quite obviously a later installation (they're sorta loose and move around.)

Ash
4-Mar-2008, 16:04
Can you disassemble any side of the holder? Maybe there was an 'easy' installation slotting them into grooves in the holders....

Peter K
4-Mar-2008, 16:56
With 9x12 plate holders one has to push down the septum at the cleft by the velvet until one can hold the septum with the fingertip and it can removed. But as I can see from the picture the septum is bendet. Possible one has inserted a 4x5" septum with force. In this case the holders are worthless.

jnantz
4-Mar-2008, 19:06
the plate holders i have with the septums in them
are spring loaded on the bottom where it holds the glass ..
are yours like that ? i can't tell from your photo .....
it is kind of a pain, but to remove the septums,
i pushed down on the spring loaded bit, and slid something
under the septum to popped it up. once the bottom wasn't
pressured by the spring it just came right out.
again, mine weren't linhof holders, so YMMV ...

good luck!

john

Glenn Thoreson
4-Mar-2008, 19:35
Septums should just push down toward the bottom and lift out at the top. They can be hard to get hold of sometimes. Please don't try to pry them out and bend them.

cyrus
4-Mar-2008, 22:46
So, you ended up getting those holders. Congrats. I watched them intently and then at the last moment decided against bidding. I don't know what came over me. It took me, it seems like forever to get the quantity of good 9x12 holders I have now. I feel extremely fortunate. Where these specific to linhof model cameras or would they have worked in most 9x12's? Just curious.

Dann

My Bergheil 9x12 Voigtlander camera is currently having a shutter overhaul with Flutot's so I haven't tried the holders yet but they look identical to the other 912 holders that came with the camera.

What do you use your for? I am foolig around with making my own emulsion.

cyrus
4-Mar-2008, 22:50
Septums should just push down toward the bottom and lift out at the top. They can be hard to get hold of sometimes. Please don't try to pry them out and bend them.

My God it worked! Yes one was bent -- cause of the difficulty. One neat thing about buying old cameras and parts is that they're sorta like little puzzle boxes, but this one was really geting annoying!

Kirk Keyes
5-Mar-2008, 10:31
I've got a 4x5 Technika IV - will Linhof 9x12 plate holders fit?

Peter K
5-Mar-2008, 11:04
I've got a 4x5 Technika IV - will Linhof 9x12 plate holders fit?
There was an adapter for plate holders aviable, part no. 001622, to use plate holders together with the international back.

Ole Tjugen
6-Mar-2008, 01:23
There was an adapter for plate holders aviable, part no. 001622, to use plate holders together with the international back.

I've only ever seen one of those, and it's mine. :)

That, and its brothers for 10x15cm and 13x18cm plates. :D

Peter K
6-Mar-2008, 02:07
I've only ever seen one of those, and it's mine. :)
That, and its brothers for 10x15cm and 13x18cm plates. :D
What about the forth brother for 12 x 16 1/2 cm plates? :)