PDA

View Full Version : Who needs a changing bag?

domenico Foschi
2-Mar-2008, 22:15
Has anybody tried to load and unload film in the trunk of the car?
Not a joke, I actually think is possible, provided having a big enough trunk.
European cars probably are not suited for this, but AMerican cars usually have very spacious trunk areas, excluded SUVs.

Kirk Keyes
2-Mar-2008, 22:23
And trunks nowadays are supposed to have those safety latches on the inside of the trunk so that when the mafia tosses you in the trunk on the way to the river, you can get yourself back out. That would help with changing your film in the trunk as you would not need to use the buddy system to get back out.

domenico Foschi
2-Mar-2008, 22:37
And trunks nowadays are supposed to have those safety latches on the inside of the trunk so that when the mafia tosses you in the trunk on the way to the river, you can get yourself back out. That would help with changing your film in the trunk as you would not need to use the buddy system to get back out.

In fact, Kirk, what gave me the idea was the scene in Pulp Fiction where Harvey Keitel puts the bodies in the trunk of what I remember to be a Kadillak.

Brian Ellis
2-Mar-2008, 23:11
IIRC Edward Weston loaded film in the car itself on his Guggenheim trip. I think he draped a blanket over the car windows.

PViapiano
3-Mar-2008, 00:30
Oh, this thread is going to get really good when someone tries this...

ljsegil
3-Mar-2008, 03:53
I think a Harrison Pup Tent is cheaper than a car, even a Cadillac off the Pulp Bay.
LJS

Walter Calahan
3-Mar-2008, 04:39
Why?

domenico Foschi
3-Mar-2008, 14:22
one less thing to bring with you.

eddie
3-Mar-2008, 14:31
if they have a get out of the truck release lever they usually glow in the dark. you may have various light leaks through rust hole and, maybe through the lights.

but if any of you want to try it i will gladly close the lid! :)

eddie

Michael Graves
3-Mar-2008, 14:33
one less thing to bring with you.

My light tent folds up nicely and fits in the trunk of my car. If I've got the trunk of my car to load film in, I've got the trunk of the car to pull my light tent out of.

Greg Lockrey
3-Mar-2008, 14:55
If you were a really dedicated photographer, you'd drill a couple of arm sized access holes on the trunck lid. ;) ;) :D

Vaughn
3-Mar-2008, 15:01
I use to change 8x10 in the shell of my Mazda pick-up. A couple blankets over the windows to keep the starlight out. I had a bedsheet to put the film boxes and holders on. It was nicer than working with a tent.

What one needs for a car trunk is a large piece of material such as they use around a kayaker to keep the water out of the boat. Find a way to stretch it around the trunk opening and have two arm holes in it -- turning one's trunk into a big changing tent.

Vaughn

PS...but Greg's idea is simpler!LOL!

domenico Foschi
3-Mar-2008, 15:22
if they have a get out of the truck release lever they usually glow in the dark. you may have various light leaks through rust hole and, maybe through the lights.

but if any of you want to try it i will gladly close the lid! :)

eddie

Rust holes?
I am not driving one of Jim Galli's trucks, you know?
Well, kind of....
I had thought of the light leaks and I am not saying that the changing bag or tent are not great solutions, but for sure is cheaper, one less thing to remember and the thrill of the uncertainty of getting out is priceless.
Also, this is a solution that I would try only at night, to minimize light leaks.
By the way, I would carry my cellphone with me.;)

Hollis
3-Mar-2008, 16:37
what happens when the cell rings and the light comes on while loading film???

Jim Galli
3-Mar-2008, 16:54
Rust holes?
I am not driving one of Jim Galli's trucks, you know? ;)

I beg your pardon...........???? :rolleyes: My brother in law's dad had a '63 Merc Marauder when we were kids. We could get 4 extra people into the drive in theatre in that trunk. Now the Merc and the drive in are long gone.

darr
3-Mar-2008, 16:56
If you were a really dedicated photographer, you'd drill a couple of arm sized access holes on the trunck lid. ;) ;) :D

OUCH !!

Steven Barall
4-Mar-2008, 08:02
If the place you're that trying to load your film in isn't quite dark enough all you have to do is close your eyes then it will be pitch black. I just love a quick and simple but affective solution to a problem.

Geert
4-Mar-2008, 08:11
what happens when the cell rings and the light comes on while loading film???

Same thing as when your cellphone is lying on the counter of your darkroom when loading film :D

The trunk idea sounds risky too me, what if the part fails? I find the private showers at truck stops convenient for loading film. There everywhere, cheap ($2-5), give you a towel which you can use at the bottom of the door, and you can take a shower if you want after loading the film. Besides, the trunk can get really hot.

It would be better to shower before loading films, it will keep down the dust.

G

false_Aesthetic
4-Mar-2008, 18:33
While driving across Argentina last summer I had to change film in the trunk of a Peugot. First time was fine. 2nd time my bud Guillermo decided to keep me in the trunk for 10 extra minutes. Fun times!

John Kasaian
5-Mar-2008, 00:15
Domenico,
Try to get a hold of a Panavision changing bag. These things are huge! 8x10 is no problem in one of these. Since you're in the moton picture capital of the world it might be worth looking around for one :)

Don't get in the trunk if you're in Fresno--some one will probably steal the car!

robert amsden
7-Apr-2008, 09:54
Good to have if a tsa goon wants to inspect boxes of sheet film by opening in light.

Brook Martin
7-Apr-2008, 10:26
I have always found a harrison tent well worth the space taken up, but that said, I am thinking about rudy lithing the windows of my truck topper and making a dark shroud off the tailgate for wetplate work.