PDA

View Full Version : pyrocat hd and softened water

gbogatko
2-Mar-2008, 18:11
Just had some negs come out pink and faint. I'm sure I mixed A and B, and not 2 of the same. The A is faint brown. It's always possible I didn't shake up the B enough.

One difference between good and bad development is that in the meantime I refreshed my water softener's brine tank with Morton's softener rock salt -- that was about a week ago.

Anyhoo, is there a link between soft water and problems with Pyrocat HD? Sigh... I threw out the remainder (about 1/3 bottle left) and cracked open some fresh bottles just in case.

Thanks,

George

John Bowen
2-Mar-2008, 20:05
I always mix my Pyrocat HD with distilled H2O. Takes any variables related to the tap water out of the equation. I also mix my other film related chemicals from developer to fix to photoflo with distilled water. Compared to the $3/exposure for the film, $.89/gal for the water seems pretty cheap.

scott_6029
2-Mar-2008, 22:03
Hmm, have not had a problem with soft tap water and pyro. I use the pyro MC. I use a lot of it, so I order the larger bottles from Photographers Formulary. Towards the end of the bottle, the A formula will pour a dark brown/black. But works fine. The new bottle A pours more orange/brown.

But, I have not had a problem with tap water. I once got a very small amount of B into the A and the negs came out really thin....

Hope you solve your problem as I know it can be very frustrating.

Salty
3-Mar-2008, 15:16
I'd wonder how old your Pyrocat HD "A" solution was.

I've had a water softener for over 10 years and I've never had a problem using soft water with chemicals. I know it's not recommended by Anchell in the Film Developing Cookbook. I use potassium for the backflush instead of rock salt.

gbogatko
3-Mar-2008, 19:18
I'd wonder how old your Pyrocat HD "A" solution was.

Somewhere between 6 and 8 months - I use it slowly since I can only shoot on weekends. It's the glycol version.

gb

G Benaim
20-Mar-2008, 21:30
I'd guess contamination of the solutions. How do you get it out and measure? Do you ever put some back in? Do you use separate syringes for each bottle, e.g.?