PDA

View Full Version : Pelican 1510 vs Storm 2500 vs Lowepro Onmni Treker Extreme

Greg Liscio
2-Mar-2008, 15:50
Input appreciated. I'm putting together a 4X5 system. So far have:
- Canham DLC45
- Schneider 110 Super Symmar (coming soon)
- Cambo Viewing Hood
- 4X5 Film Holders
- Fuji & Polaroid Film Packs
- Gossen Luna Star meter
- Small 35mm (Rollei) & flash

I know there are a ton of discussion threads regarding backpacks, but I'm concerned about the hard cases. The Lowepro seems to offer the best of both worlds.
Thankee
Grego

roteague
2-Mar-2008, 17:54
I've got a LowPro Omni Trekker; it has been all over the world. Very sturdy, but I wish it was a bit lighter and smaller.

Greg Liscio
2-Mar-2008, 18:36
Thanks Robert. Beautiful work on your site.

Greg

BarryS
2-Mar-2008, 18:58
I have the Pelican 1510, but use it primarily for video work. If you're transporting by car or plane to car to paved location--it works very well. I've used it to occasionally ship gear by FEDEX and it's built to protect the contents against extreme abuse. The Storm cases also have a great reputation. However, I don't like hard cases for general use. A trail or a bunch of stairs renders the hard rollers useless. For me, photography is about exploration and the journey often begins where the roads and sidewalks end. I highly recommend a backpack or even a shoulder bag, so you can stay flexible.

David Carson
28-Apr-2008, 19:32
The latches on the Storm 2500 are what sold it for me. Way, way easier. Think Tank Photo has a backpack (http://thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_ArprtUltrlght.php) sized for the 2500 and 1510.