PDA

View Full Version : Is Mid West still open and running.

otzi
28-Feb-2008, 15:39
I have ordered and mailed separately to Mpex, and mailed Jim, well his address anyway. No response apart from the machine order reply. There was a question but no answer. I have just now sent a mail again to Jim's address re buying a camera. Let's see if that fishes someone out. - Any one know of anything amiss?

Walter Calahan
28-Feb-2008, 16:17
Jim doesn't work 5 days a week, I believe. And then there is a chance he's on vacation.

John Brady
28-Feb-2008, 16:17
I have spoken to Jim within the last week. I am sure all is well.
Try calling them during their normal business hours. They are on central time.
Jim may be traveling or something. They are a very busy, top top quality shop, I don't think they are going anywhere.

Richard Martel
28-Feb-2008, 16:26
Jim is off on Thursday....don't worry they are a great bunch.

Regards Richard

mdd99
28-Feb-2008, 16:56
Jim does, in fact, travel a lot on buying trips. I now always call, and he's prompt to get back to you if he's unavailable.

BradS
28-Feb-2008, 17:54
mpex are a small company. I get the feeling they are fewer than ten in number...don't be afraid to call if you have an urgent need to know.

Jim almost always has Thursday off.

Ted Harris
28-Feb-2008, 18:14
Try calling them during their normal business hours. They are on central time.

Jim, apologies for the correction but they are on Eastern Time.

Their hours are:
10 -6 on weekdays
10-4 (somtimes 2) on Saturday
closed on Sunday

Jim is usually off on Thursday, when he is there on Thursday he is usually gone at noon.

They have 4 or 5 phone lines but often they are all busy, when they are all busy the phone will just ring.

email Jim at: jim@mpex.com phone: 614-261-1264

MenacingTourist
28-Feb-2008, 18:31
I talked to Jim two days ago. I decided to call and talk to a real person. I talked to a woman and then to Jim, both of which were very nice.

Alan.

JPlomley
28-Feb-2008, 18:47
I remember once I was trying to reach Jim about a lens and the lady that answered the phone said he was in Japan on business but just to drop him an email and he would pick it up. Sure enough, the next day I had a response.

As an aside, Jeff at Badger often checks his emails on Saturday's and Sunday's as well. Both great shops to deal with. I try to avoid B&H at all costs. Despite their banner, they are not "The Professionals Source". But I digress...

David Karp
28-Feb-2008, 19:43
I had an e-mail exchange with Jim 2 days ago.

Daniel_Buck
29-Feb-2008, 01:31
I emailed back and forth with jim several times lask week and earlier this week, purchasing two items. I've never talked with him on the phone, always been through email. He's been quite helpful!

John Schneider
29-Feb-2008, 09:07
I spoke with Tom in the darkroom dept. yesterday, so yes everything is fine and well on High St. But it did take three phone calls before my call was answered.

I was once there several years ago, and it is indeed a small operation, about the size of an old-time downtown store. It was fun poking around (they have stuff jammed in everywhere), especially in their basement of darkroom equipment and older stuff.

Robert Fisher
29-Feb-2008, 11:20
I have always found email is the best communications tool with Jim.

Jim at MW and Jeff at Badger are both really great guys to do business with.

Ben Calwell
29-Feb-2008, 14:19
I've dealt with Jim many times -- very reliable. If Jim were a car, he'd be a Honda.

roteague
29-Feb-2008, 15:57
I've dealt with Jim many times -- very reliable. If Jim were a car, he'd be a Honda.

I hope not..... I got rid of my Honda because it was becoming a money pit... always something breaking.

Ted Harris
29-Feb-2008, 18:22
Midwest has been having some intermittent issues with their phones as a result of a nearby trunk line being cut. Should be back to normal in a few days.

Darryl Baird
2-Mar-2008, 11:24
That's an anomaly I assure you, I've owned six Hondas (spouse and me) since 1980 and with regular maintenance these cars routinely live past 200,000 miles with ease.

But I think Jim is actually more like a Toyota 4x4 truck; they only get broken in at around 200,000 miles. ;)

I hope not..... I got rid of my Honda because it was becoming a money pit... always something breaking.