PDA

View Full Version : Type 55 in stock at Polaroid

blevblev
28-Feb-2008, 10:02
They have 900+ in stock right now.

paul stimac
28-Feb-2008, 10:21
When they where out of stock, I called and ordered a case and they UPS'd it in 3-days.

Helen Bach
28-Feb-2008, 10:42
12:02 EST 900+ in stock

12:38 EST 113 in stock

It wasn't me, honest.

Best,
Helen

davidb
28-Feb-2008, 11:24
1:23pm EST 964 in stock

?

Ash
28-Feb-2008, 11:25
.... this is quite funny to see the numbers jump around :)

Nathan Potter
28-Feb-2008, 22:18
Since going out of business announcement they're selling the stuff like crazy and they're restocking like mad?

Nate Potter

Ash
29-Feb-2008, 03:17
Nathan, I'm waiting for an announcement that Polaroid's profits have reached a peak and they can continue for another year, and then in 12 months time this happens all over again ;)

Gene McCluney
29-Feb-2008, 11:04
Nathan, I'm waiting for an announcement that Polaroid's profits have reached a peak and they can continue for another year, and then in 12 months time this happens all over again ;)

Oh Ash, I think this is very wishful thinking. I believe the plant that made Type 55 is already closed down.

Ash
29-Feb-2008, 11:21
I just peeled apart my first successful Fuji instant colour sheet.... I'll transfer my wishful thinking to them instead :)

Gene McCluney
29-Feb-2008, 19:10
I just peeled apart my first successful Fuji instant colour sheet.... I'll transfer my wishful thinking to them instead :)

I think you will find (as I did, to my surprise) the Fuji film is much nicer, better quality, better color, nicer gloss than the last years of Polaroid.

Nathan Potter
29-Feb-2008, 21:21
I've never bothered to check out the Fuji instant film. I realize they have a color film but I wonder if they have a pos/neg film similar to Koduck er (Kodak).

Nate Potter

Gene McCluney
1-Mar-2008, 00:08
I've never bothered to check out the Fuji instant film. I realize they have a color film but I wonder if they have a pos/neg film similar to Koduck er (Kodak).

Nate Potter

KODUCK (Kodak) NEVER DID have a pos/neg film. That was Polaroid with its type 55. Fuji does not have an instant film that produces a useable negative, although they do have both an ISO 100 and ISO 3000 speed b/w instant films.

Ash
1-Mar-2008, 01:06
Gene, you seem to be the Pola-Guru! :)

I really am impressed with the Fuji instant, now that I've got it to work, I want to know how to get rid of the missing corner though. Apparently it's caused by pulling the film out at an angle but I'm not so sure.

I do love the Type 55 polaroid though. Then again I've not even bought the stuff to wash and fix the negs with so they're useless now. Heh, I may as well stick with Fuji after all!

Gene McCluney
1-Mar-2008, 09:20
Gene, you seem to be the Pola-Guru! :)

I really am impressed with the Fuji instant, now that I've got it to work, I want to know how to get rid of the missing corner though. Apparently it's caused by pulling the film out at an angle but I'm not so sure.

I do love the Type 55 polaroid though. Then again I've not even bought the stuff to wash and fix the negs with so they're useless now. Heh, I may as well stick with Fuji after all!

You can wash the negatives in water, possibly just gently rubbing the goo away with your fingers if needed. The type 55 negatives are already fixed. The sodium sulfite bath just helps dissolve the goo. So, you really don't "need" any "stuff" you don't have to wash and dry type 55.

Ash
1-Mar-2008, 12:20
Ohhhh! I tried that but it didn't too well :)

Charles Hohenstein
1-Mar-2008, 12:51
I think you will find (as I did, to my surprise) the Fuji film is much nicer, better quality, better color, nicer gloss than the last years of Polaroid.

I'm not interested in color. Do they make any 4x5 sheet film in black and white that will work in a normal Polaroid film holder, or is it all pack film?

Gene McCluney
1-Mar-2008, 12:57
I'm not interested in color. Do they make any 4x5 sheet film in black and white that will work in a normal Polaroid film holder, or is it all pack film?

FUJI make a 100 ISO and a 3000 ISO b/w film suitable for 4x5 use, but they are both pack films and must use the pack-film back..neither of these produce a usable negative, only a high-quality print. Both these films work just fine in the (discontinued) Polaroid 4x5 pack film back, or in the currently available Fuji pack film back. Both of these backs can be inserted under the ground glass on many 4x5 cameras, and also can be used in place of the ground glass back on cameras equipped with graf-lok backs. The image size is closer to true 4x5 than the individual sheet film 4x5 films from Polaroid such as Type 55. Since the pack film backs have dark-slides, they really are just about as convenient as the now discontinued individual 4x5 sheets that Polaroid made. You can insert or remove the back at any time by just inserting the dark slide.

A brand-new Fuji 4x5 pack film back is only $113.00 from B&H (as an example of pricing).

venchka
1-Mar-2008, 12:58

If you mean Fuji, it's all pack film for either the Polaroid 405 (3.25x4.25) or 550 (4x5) backs or Fuji's own backs.

venchka
1-Mar-2008, 12:59
Gene was quicker.

Gene McCluney
1-Mar-2008, 13:06

As an addendum to my reply above, Fuji does make b/w film in quickload type format that can be used in a Polaroid film holder for taking conventional 4x5 b/w negatives, one at a time. Some of this may not be available as official import in the USA, but I think Acros is for sure available. But...all "instant print" films from Fuji suitable for use on 4x5 and medium format cameras at this time are pack.