PDA

View Full Version : North Arizona, Southern Utah in April

PBrooks
26-Feb-2008, 18:31
Hello, I'm trying to plan a trip to go out west starting end of March. Starting in Louisiana travel through Texas on I20 to Abilene head North to Lubbock. From there up to Clovis and McAllister where my mom was originally from, then up to I40. Ok, here is where I need your help. Would you stay on I40 to Pertrified Forest and then turn North at Flagstaff to head to South Rim or Head up through Santa Fe toward the 4corners area? Now I do plan on making the loop South Rim, Page, just not sure which to hit first. Arches and work my way down, just trying not to backtrack too much. Thank you in advance!
PBrooks

steve simmons
26-Feb-2008, 18:36
make sure to go to Chaco Canyon, Mesa Verde, Canyon de Chelly

just my 2 cents

steve simmons

PBrooks
26-Feb-2008, 19:03
Thanks, Steve!
I forgot to add in my post that I do have all the Martres books.
Please keep it coming, would love to hear more!
PBrooks

Brian Vuillemenot
27-Feb-2008, 00:10
Hello, I'm trying to plan a trip to go out west starting end of March. Starting in Louisiana travel through Texas on I20 to Abilene head North to Lubbock.

If I were you, rather than heading north, I'd head south to Big Bend. It's a great national park full of photographic possibilities, not quite as "cliche" as many of the Colorado Plateau parks, and that's a great time of year to be there. There's also the Guadalupe Mountains National Park on the way, and you're not too far from Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands National Monument, home to the world's most sublime sand dunes. Of course, you can't go wrong with any of the redrcok scenery on the Colorado Plateau, and you can easily spend decades photographing the area and only scrath the surface. I think it will be hard to pick from all the possibilities; if the weather cooperates, you just can't go wrong.

anchored
27-Feb-2008, 00:41
PBrooks - I'm curious as to how much time you are allowing for your trip. A couple of years ago I spent 2 weeks in Southern Utah alone, and found two-weeks there are insufficient to see that region alone... without adding any other stops along the way.

Southern Utah in itself has completely other-worldly views from end to end of the state. Don't do yourself an injustice by trying to see too much with too little time. This region is one of my favorite locations anywhere in the nation!

(Bring LOTS AND LOTS of film!!!)

PBrooks
27-Feb-2008, 00:54
Thanks Guys, I planned to give myself 3 weeks, just as a scouting trip.

steve simmons
27-Feb-2008, 05:46
The southwest can be windy in the Spring - I dobn't know if this includes Texas as well. I have not been to Big Bend but would like to go sometime.

steve simmons

Bruce Schultz
27-Feb-2008, 07:22
By April, Big Bend can be pretty hot.

Alan Rabe
27-Feb-2008, 12:16
Buckskin Gulch in the Paria Wilderness. 25 miles west of page on US89 is ranger station for the wilderness. It is in total about 18 miles of narrows and grottos that runs roughly east/west along the AZ/UT border. Try to get directions to the Wire Bend pass into the gulch. It is a half mile hike as opposed to a five mile hike to the gulch.

mrladewig
27-Feb-2008, 14:48
The four corners is a freaking PITA to get around. Unless you plan to run 89 through Page and over towards Kanab or something along those lines, I'd avoid it and take I-40.

That said, along 89, Buckskin Gulch, Wire Pass, Coyote Buttes are well worth a visit. Page obviously offers Antelope Canyon, Horsehoe Bend and Monument Valley. All sorts of stuff to do in the Escalante.

I would advise you to bring sandals or something of the sort into wire pass and do not enter if there is a threat of rain. We were there in September and were blocked by a deep water/mud hole from rains the night before. We were in our hiking boots and needed them to be dry for other activities. I'll definitely be going back to wire pass/buckskin gulch on future trips.

Here is my Wire Pass shot (blown on the highlights).
http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/v/Southwest/Wire_Pass_01.jpg.html

Jim Ewins
27-Feb-2008, 17:26
Last year we spent a month in so Utah-- too much to see insufficient time. Buy mapping software (Microsoft Streets and Trips) You can lay out various scenarious and compare the milages.

PBrooks
27-Feb-2008, 17:43
Thanks Jim do they have a mac version?

John Kasaian
27-Feb-2008, 18:22
Indian fry bread at Bullfrog Basin marina (burp!) Fresh trout at the Road Creek Inn in Loa. Anything on the menu at that mexican restaraunt that's in the old A T&Santa Fe depot in Santa Fe (Thomasita's, I think)

Oh wait, you want locations...If you have the time you might consider renting a houseboat on Lake Powell. The shoreline is full of coves and bays where you can put in
and explore---sort of like being on the moon and not having to wear a space suit!

Jay W
28-Feb-2008, 06:49
Similarly, I'll be flying into Sedona for a family reunion in the beginning of May. I added four days to the trip to do a little scouting of the area for a future trip. Any suggestions? I'll be camping or cheap hotelling it.

Thanks,

Jay

Alan Rabe
28-Feb-2008, 07:19
Jay, running north out of the Sedonna area is Oak Creek canyon. About two thirds of the way up the canyon is the West Fork Of Oak Creek canyon. It isn't well marked so you will have to look carefully and there is only parking along the road. But it is a vary nice diversion. The creek cuts into and under the bank as it weaves it way thru the canyon. There is a trail that goes up for about 2 miles and then you have to walk the creek. You might also want to get directions for West Clear Creek in the Verde Valley. The road going south out of Sedonna goes into the valley. The entrance to West Clear Creek is on the east side of the valley. The exit is marked and is on the road to Payson.

steve simmons
28-Feb-2008, 09:28
West from Oak Creek, just south of Sedona, is Green Valley Road (I think this is the name). It takes you to the back side of some very well known rock formations and a creek. If you believe in Vortexes there is one in this area.

steve

Christopher Breitenstein
28-Feb-2008, 11:00
Monument valley, Vermilion cliffs, Coal mine canyon (an extremely beautiful local, which hardly anyone knows of!!!) antelope canyon, the north rim of the Grand Canyon is a must and far less touristy then the south rim, Bryce canyon etc... In my opinion you are venturing into one of the most beautiful places in the country.

Enjoy!

Doug Dolde
28-Feb-2008, 15:51
The Petrified Forest is worth a trip. From there head a bit west to Winslow then north 12 miles on Hwy 87 to the Little Painted Desert Navajo Park.

Some images from the Petrified Forest: http://www.painted-with-light.com/AP1.html

From the Little Painted Desert: http://www.painted-with-light.com/AD2.html

Continue north through the Hopi reservation then west from Second Mesa on Hwy 264 almost to Tuba City where you can find Coal Mine Canyon with a little luck (and research)

Coal Mine Canyon: http://www.painted-with-light.com/AC4.html

From Tuba City it's an easy drive to the east entrance to the south rim of the Grand Canyon.

Jay W
28-Feb-2008, 17:45
Nice stuff Doug. During the family get-together, I'll probably be able to hit some of the local area like Oak Creek Canyon. I like what I'm seeing with the suggestions offered. I'll have to do some research and come back with more specific questions.

Thanks for the pointers,

Jay

Barry Trabitz
28-Feb-2008, 22:30
When you arrive in Sedona go to the local book store and check out the book on hikes around Sedona. Also check with the Ranger station in town for maps of hiking trails.

Wayne Crider
29-Feb-2008, 17:18
When you arrive in Sedona go to the local book store and check out the book on hikes around Sedona. Also check with the Ranger station in town for maps of hiking trails.

Stop in at the chamber of commerce in old Sedona. They have all kinds of info and maps to look at. I'd also head up to the south rim if never there, but book a room now for an overnight. Also check online at the official Sedona website. Also, the airport overlook is happening at sundown. One thing to be aware of tho is that Sedona went nuts a few years back and require visitor passes to park in many locations or else you get a ticket. Make sure to check about this before you pull off on the side of the road. They got vicious with their make money bs.

Richard Raymond
9-Mar-2008, 14:51
" Would you stay on I40 to Pertrified Forest and then turn North at Flagstaff to head to South Rim or Head up through Santa Fe toward the 4corners area? Now I do plan on making the loop South Rim, Page, just not sure which to hit first. Arches and work my way down, just trying not to backtrack too much. Thank you in advance!
PBrooks"

To your original question.... I would recommend that you follow 40 west taking whatever side trips you want, north to the south rim, then out the east side to Page, Monument Valley, etc, North to Arches, Dead Horse, etc. and then back to Durango, Mesa Verde area and finally out to the return trip. This will provide the most variety with the least amount of backtracking. Also, it gets you to your most distant points early in the trip and thus provides greater flexibility in planning. The best advice is don't get too distracted with other areas. You will be driving a great deal. Take the time to rest and "see" the areas you are planning to visit. They are all nice. Everyone has their favorites. Great pictures are everywhere.
Ric

Jim Ewins
9-Mar-2008, 23:04
Yes 3 weeks is a short scouting trip.

trink408
17-Mar-2008, 05:42
I've taken a few trips into sourthern Utah/N Arizona and you simly can't go wrong in that area. Truly some of the most beautiful scenery in the country in my opinion. Once you go the desert calls you back time and time again. I spent 3 weeks camping the first time, 2 weeks camping the second time, and still wish for more time to spend in that area. I got some maps and just wandered around the various national parks, state parks, recreation areas, back roads, whatever I came across that looked interesting to explore. You can spend weeks on end just wandering through back country roads and public land. Dixie National Forest offers some great hiking/photo opps as well...

Have a great time, you really can't go wrong!!

Ted Stoddard
17-Mar-2008, 07:15
If your going to be in Page,Az I highly recommend Bashful Bob's Motel... Real good prices and almost like renting an apt for something like $33 a night....

here is the website: http://www.bashfulbobsmotel.com/

No I do not get a commision from Bob but he is a nice man... Hope you have fun "Do Not Forget The Coolers" for film... Also Texas is always windy thru Texas canyon areas off of I-10 going West or East all the time...

Lyle Aldridge
20-Mar-2008, 18:04
I'm a proud Arizonan, and would offer a variant suggestion. If I were doing this trip with the time you have, I'd get off I-40 at Holbrook AZ after doing the Petrified Forest. I'd take AZ 77 to Showlow AZ, and go along the Mogollon Rim on AZ260. These are all good, paved 55-65mph roads and will be open in April. They take you through one of the prettiest and least-publicized parts of our state, crossing high grassland and conifer forests (lots of Elk - drive carefully!), then into the red rocks around Sedona. I'd take AZ 260 to Camp Verde, AZ, then go north from there to Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon. From there I'd head north to Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon, as Richard advised in #22.

Being partial to AZ, I'd nix the idea to go to Big Bend. I finally got there for a couple of days about a year ago. My honest impression was that they made a National Park out of the parts of Texas that most resemble the mundane parts of Arizona. :D :)

PBrooks
26-Apr-2008, 22:31
Thank You to everyone that posted. Will post more later still developing film. I will say this though, I had no idea what wind was, now I do. This being said the 1417 Chamonix held extremely steady. I much preferred the jeep trails and back country, esspecially above Page and then in the Hite area. I'm planning another trip as you read this also, much bigger this time.
Thanks again
PBrooks