PDA

View Full Version : manfrotto geared head / kirk qr clamp

thorirv
26-Feb-2008, 15:37
hello..

i've been fantasizing about "converting" a head of mine into the world of arca/kirk/etc plates. i've read in at least one thread here (and some elsewhere) that kirk makes (or at least made) a qr-clamp, the "qr-7" that could replace the manfrotto qr plate "410pl" in the head, effectively "converting" the head into a different qr-plate system...

the short story, there is no such a thing as a "qr-7" at the kirk website (according to my searches). so i was wondering if anyone here knew if any of the clamps here are the ones i should be after... ( http://www.kirkphoto.com/platformsc.html )

all input appreciated...

th

Kirk Gittings
26-Feb-2008, 17:45
FWIW, I'm not sure why one would go through the trouble unless there was a system compatibility issue for your kit. The Manfrotto RC4 plate which comes on the 410 is excellent.

Brian Ellis
26-Feb-2008, 20:22
hello..

i've been fantasizing about "converting" a head of mine into the world of arca/kirk/etc plates. i've read in at least one thread here (and some elsewhere) that kirk makes (or at least made) a qr-clamp, the "qr-7" that could replace the manfrotto qr plate "410pl" in the head, effectively "converting" the head into a different qr-plate system...

the short story, there is no such a thing as a "qr-7" at the kirk website (according to my searches). so i was wondering if anyone here knew if any of the clamps here are the ones i should be after... ( http://www.kirkphoto.com/platformsc.html )

all input appreciated...

th

I have the Kirk plate mounted on my Bogen 410 (because at the time I bought the 410 my other cameras all had Arca-style QR plates). I just looked at mine and unfortunately it doesn't have a model number on it. None of the ones in the link you provided look like mine. The top view of the one on the left resembles mine but the bottom view doesn't. My recollection is that the Kirk plate is made specifically for the 410 head and that it says so in the description. I'd suggest calling Kirk and tell them you want an Arca style adapter for the 410 head. They should be able to easily tell you what plate to order or let you know if it's no longer made.

Keith Pitman
26-Feb-2008, 20:47
Don't buy the Kirk kit that is made for the 410 head. All you need is a Kirk clamp that you can attach to the plate for the 410 head. I imagine other Arca-type plates will work as well.

Gregory Ng
26-Feb-2008, 21:00
It is the SQRC-3271
I use one.

thorirv
27-Feb-2008, 03:08
thanks everyone!!

@kirk g
i might as wel admit it, i'm buying the L-plate advertising (be it from kirk, rrs, or the www threads). if i was shooting only with cameras with rotating backs, i had of course no need to. (i might add that i'm a little afraid that the convenience factor will come with a price (shake), but there's only one way to find out....)

@keith g
why not? price? functionality?
i asked rrs about this, and they strontly recommended against stacking plate/clamps (something i had figured out myself, and something the kirk clamp would to, but with one less stacking surfaces)

@gregory
thanks. now at least i know which model to get!

again, thanks for all input.

th

timparkin
27-Feb-2008, 09:02
thanks everyone!!

@kirk g
i might as wel admit it, i'm buying the L-plate advertising (be it from kirk, rrs, or the www threads). if i was shooting only with cameras with rotating backs, i had of course no need to. (i might add that i'm a little afraid that the convenience factor will come with a price (shake), but there's only one way to find out....)

Can you use L Plates with large format cameras (do they make them?)

Tim

thorirv
28-Feb-2008, 01:43
Can you use L Plates with large format cameras (do they make them?)

Tim

can't answer to that, but i can't see any reason to (isn't it possible to change back orientation on all (most??) lf cameras?).

my interest this time was mostly about smaller things in life...

timparkin
28-Feb-2008, 02:05
can't answer to that, but i can't see any reason to (isn't it possible to change back orientation on all (most??) lf cameras?).

my interest this time was mostly about smaller things in life...

Ah! In which case L Plates are the bees knees and as someone who hardly ever takes a 'landscape' orientation shot, they get used a tremendous amount. I prefer the RRS that have a lug you can use with the wrist strap

Tim

thorirv
28-Feb-2008, 21:40
i think the kirk has one as well, or so it seems,.. http://www.kirkphoto.com/blD300.jpg. at least for some cameras