PDA

View Full Version : Ilford semi-matte

blevblev
26-Feb-2008, 13:56
I think I know what semi-gloss is, and pearl, which is similar to semi-gloss, but the Ilford designation of semi-matte is confusing me. It may be a glass half full / half empty or partly cloudy / partly sunny type thing - is semi-matte the same as semi-gloss or what?

Jon Shiu
26-Feb-2008, 14:06
It is a matte surface, ie not shiny.

Jon

blevblev
26-Feb-2008, 14:35
If semi-matte is matte, then what's matte, sandpaper? If it's matte, why is it called "semi" matte? Sounds like somewhere between shiny and not shiny to me. I'm curious because I want to buy some Ilford Warmtone, but I don't really cotton to glossy paper. "Pearl" or "Luster" (or similar) is the surface I like. Does that mean that Ilford doesn't have something for me in warmtone?

domenico Foschi
26-Feb-2008, 15:03
If semi-matte is matte, then what's matte, sandpaper? If it's matte, why is it called "semi" matte? Sounds like somewhere between shiny and not shiny to me. I'm curious because I want to buy some Ilford Warmtone, but I don't really cotton to glossy paper. "Pearl" or "Luster" (or similar) is the surface I like. Does that mean that Ilford doesn't have something for me in warmtone?

It is a matt surface, but if you look at it at an angle it will have a faint shine.
Persoanlly I am growing frustrated with Ilford prices. I have already switched to Arista edu ultra for film and now I see myself forced to give up Ilford warmtone.
I just came back from Freestyle and I refuse to pay $ 209.00 + tax for a box of 50 sheets of 16x20. Two are the options: putting myself out of business by keeping buying it, or contributing to put them out of business.
I do not give a damn if they are committed to silver, their prices are not justifiable, if they think they are irreplaceable they are wrong.
Beautiful paper, but....

Glenn Thoreson
26-Feb-2008, 15:27
I use Ilford warm tone semi matte fiber paper. I really like this paper for a lot of things. Semi matte is not a totally dull surface. It's a smooth the the touch surface with just the very slightest hint of sheen. Thought I haven't used matte paper, the examples I've seen (old) had a surface more like that of writing paper. When I'm out of Ilford, I doubt I'll buy any more. Just too pricey. The only chance is finding a real deal like this batch was, at 8 bucks per 25 pack, 8X10. Sadly, I'll be looking more closely at other brands.

Jon Shiu
26-Feb-2008, 15:51

Hello, if you want something like that you can get Pearl in Warmtone RC. There is nothing like that in the Warmtone fiber. If you want a semi-matte sample, let me know. ( I don't care for it myself, too dull looking).

Jon