PDA

View Full Version : Chipped lens?

jwarren116
19-Feb-2008, 13:51
I have a SA 90mm XL lens. I loved it, but since I got my Shen Hao, I've come to despise it. The rear element is too large to fit through the front, so I have to remove the back to put it on. Well, long story short, I was looking at the rear element (on the shutter side) a couple weeks ago and noticed that there is a very tiny chip on the outside of the glass where it's normally painted black. I've done some shots, and didn't notice a change in image quality. Is it something to be concerned about? I'm guessing it will only show on the image towards the outside of the image circle. And seeing as it's normally painted black, is there a way to fix it? Will a little black paint stop any weird flares caused by it? I attached a crappy picture of it. Any advice? I was thinking about selling the lens, and I'm hoping this doesn't crush the value.

Thanks,
James

Skorzen
19-Feb-2008, 14:46
hmmmm I don't think it would really have any noticeable effect on the image, it might be good to either repaint the chip or blacken it with paint. As far as resale value, I don't really know... Some people get real antsy when it comes to words like "chipped" and "glass" together. But then again I have seen lenses that I thought should be bargains due to slight damage sell for almost as much as a mint copy...

IanG
19-Feb-2008, 15:08
As the Rolling Stones wrote "Paint it Black" . . . . . . . .

A small bit of paint has been knocked off, try your best black nail varnish, ok perhaps your wife's :D

Now we all no everything about the lens, be careful selling here :-)

Ian

Glenn Thoreson
19-Feb-2008, 16:01
Oh - oh! It's junk. I'll give you ten bucks for it. :D
Seriously, it won't hurt a thing. Put a little dab of black paint on it and use it. I doubt it would even have any effect on value, to a sensible buyer.

Doug Dolde
19-Feb-2008, 16:17
It will definately crush the value whether or not if degrades the image. I wouldn't want it.

cotdt
19-Feb-2008, 18:21
give it to me =)

Alan Davenport
19-Feb-2008, 18:38
Obviously the chip will affect resale value. A little black paint or opaque on the chipped area will keep it from affecting your images.

If you really hate it, I'll give you twenty bucks for it.

Asher Kelman
19-Feb-2008, 19:45
Obviously the chip will affect resale value. A little black paint or opaque on the chipped area will keep it from affecting your images.

If you really hate it, I'll give you twenty bucks for it.

It may astonish you how little you do to lens is damaging! On the periphery as long as it does not act as an oblique light source, it will never be noticable as you stop down.

A scratch on the front of the lens would, however, become progressively more noticable. You couldnt have a better place to have damage. Just make sure it is sealed so you don't get moisture in it. The black paint is a good cure!

This lens should be a good friend. It has already lost it's virginity and you will feel less guilty taking it out to the woods!

Enjoy it while you can still see!

Asher

Jim Jones
20-Feb-2008, 07:15
The effect, if any, may appear anywhere on the image. An efficient lens hood will minimize the effect. The black paint suggested above should eliminate any flare. If you don't mind the inconvenience of using it on the Shen Hao, keep it. An honest ad describing the chip will discourage some bidders, even if the chip doesn't degrade performance.