PDA

View Full Version : inverting neg scan

gari beet
19-Feb-2008, 10:19
Not sure if I am missing something here(not beyond the realm of possibility!!) I have scanned a neg into PS and want to convert to positive. I have looked at the image menu and the "inverse" option is not available. Any suggestions?
thanks
Gari

Marko
19-Feb-2008, 10:25
Gari,

There are two ways to do it:

1. From the menu: Image-Adjustments-Invert

2. Keyboard: Cmd-I (Mac) / Ctrl-I (PC)

:)

Scott Kathe
19-Feb-2008, 10:30
I don't know which version of PS you are using but the one here at work with CS has the inverse option. Go to Image, scroll down to Adjustments and Invert is towards the bottom of the 'fly out menu'.

Scott

jetcode
19-Feb-2008, 10:33
Not sure if I am missing something here(not beyond the realm of possibility!!) I have scanned a neg into PS and want to convert to positive. I have looked at the image menu and the "inverse" option is not available. Any suggestions?
thanks
Gari

that's odd - what version of PS and what scanner?
my scanner does the inversion automatically

John Brady
19-Feb-2008, 10:40
that's odd - what version of PS and what scanner?

Hi Joe, some believe that scanning a negative as a positive and then inverting in photo shop yields superior results. The thinking is that some scanners were designed to scan chromes primarily. I'm not sure I agree with it but thats the logic.

I have tried it and the scans once inverted in ps look washed out, but after adjustment they come out pretty nice.

jb

gari beet
19-Feb-2008, 12:59
Thanks for the replies guys but as I mentioned in the original post the invert option from the image menu isn't highlighted for use.
I have scanned as a neg in the software but it is film dependent and the film I use is not in the menu(160 PROs) and the alternatives look awful. I wanted to see how it would come out as a neg and invert in PS.

Gari

BradS
19-Feb-2008, 13:03

yeah, mine too (Canon 9950F).

Marko
19-Feb-2008, 13:06
Gari,

You have me a bit confused now. Invert option should be available in ALL image modes. Would you mind sharing more details, such as your platform, version of Photoshop and, especially, what are your steps precisely once the scanner is done.

It sounds to me as if some tool or the other gets activated somehow and is preventing the Invert option, but it's impossible to tell without knowing the details.

jetcode
19-Feb-2008, 13:18
Hi Joe, some believe that scanning a negative as a positive and then inverting in photo shop yields superior results. The thinking is that some scanners were designed to scan chromes primarily. I'm not sure I agree with it but thats the logic.

I have tried it and the scans once inverted in ps look washed out, but after adjustment they come out pretty nice.

jb

that explains a lot ...

Juergen Sattler
19-Feb-2008, 13:41
Gari, the invert command is only available on the background layer or merged layers - could that be your problem?

Marko
19-Feb-2008, 16:11
Gari, the invert command is only available on the background layer or merged layers - could that be your problem?

Not so, or at least not any more. Individual layers can be inverted as well.

domenico Foschi
19-Feb-2008, 16:49
try to quit ps and turn it on again

gari beet
20-Feb-2008, 05:06
Marko, I am using a mac with OSX10.3.9 and the scanner is a Canon 9950f, the PS version is CS.
I open the file and try to invert, which of course it will not. Thats it, just open and try to invert.
As said, the invert option is opaque in the drop down menu so cannot be selected. I have tried the command keys with no luck also.

I have been trying to do this for a few days now so PS has been on and off several times.

Thanks again

Gari

JPlomley
20-Feb-2008, 05:47
Gari, I'm on the same OS and version of PS and the Invert command is present. You may have to uninstall and re-install PS as a worse case scenario. Have you tried calling Adobe Tech Support?

Marko
20-Feb-2008, 12:37
Gari,

From your response, I understand that you are scanning using the stand-alone scanning app which saves a file on a disk. You are then opening this file in Photoshop. Is this correct?

If so, what is the resulting file format?

Also, you can try a simple experiment:

1. Open the file as it is
2. Make sure it is in RGB mode (Image-Mode-RGB), either 8-bit or 16-bit
3. Make sure that is is flattened (only one layer as a background)
4. Save the image as Photoshop file (.psd)
5. Load the new image and see if your Invert command is available.

This should provide at least some indication of the source of the problem.

trink408
21-Feb-2008, 06:21
When I work in 16-bit mode the invert option is grayed out, maybe that is just because I'm using PS7?

Marko
21-Feb-2008, 08:22
When I work in 16-bit mode the invert option is grayed out, maybe that is just because I'm using PS7?

Could very well be, that's three versions behind the current version. It's been a long time since I used either, but I believe the 16-bit mode support was very limited until the CS.