PDA

View Full Version : PS 64 bit for PC

Rob Champagne
11-Feb-2008, 05:26
Anyone heard if or when a 64bit version of PS will be available for PC:(

Walter Calahan
11-Feb-2008, 07:04
My PC (Personal Computer) an Intel 8-core 2.8 MHz Macintosh Pro might, but haven't looked into it. All these numbers become meaningless to me. Ultimately the file for a print ends up as 8-bit. I scan and shoot at 16-bit. Don't really care how Photoshop processes the stuff - 32-bit or 64-bit. Just as long as it works. And if my MacPro PC isn't 64-bit, who cares, it's already pretty darn fast.

Ed Richards
11-Feb-2008, 07:46
Right after the Linux version. (There are too few people who would benefit enough to buy a 64bit version to make it worth the work. I was only partially kidding about a Linux version - I think they would sell a lot of them, it is a cheap and fast way to get past the memory problems.)

Bruce Watson
11-Feb-2008, 08:52
Anyone heard if or when a 64bit version of PS will be available for PC:(

Read Russel William's reply to my question on this John Nack blog thread. (http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2007/12/solid_state_dri.html) That should answer your questions pretty well maybe.

For those of you unwilling to click on the thread, the short answer is "not soon."

jetcode
11-Feb-2008, 09:43
My PC (Personal Computer) an Intel 8-core 2.8 MHz Macintosh Pro might, but haven't looked into it. All these numbers become meaningless to me. Ultimately the file for a print ends up as 8-bit. I scan and shoot at 16-bit. Don't really care how Photoshop processes the stuff - 32-bit or 64-bit. Just as long as it works. And if my MacPro PC isn't 64-bit, who cares, it's already pretty darn fast.

The reason 64 bit matters in (microsoft) PC land is because of RAM limitations in 32 bit PC land. You can effectively get a little more then 3G of RAM in 32 bit where 64 bit opens the door to 16G but to get to that memory software must be written to take advantage of the 64 bit OS.

Rob Champagne
11-Feb-2008, 12:33
these all seem pretty pathetic excuses for not going 64bit. I strongly suggest that there is some protection of the mac market going on by adobe. How is it that mac can change processor and adobe develop new versions for macs but not for PCs. There is a lot of bullshit flying around about this.
Even adobes developers will tell you that there is a big benefit of the operating system being able to access additional ram because even on 32bit photoshop, it can access that ram as scratch disk making it much much faster than hard drives. And all these anti 64 bit arguments are making assumptions that there won't be enough ram available. Those arguments are based in the past. The whole point of vista is that it removes those limitations and the arguments against 64bit haven't realised what that means.

Rob Champagne
11-Feb-2008, 12:56
incidentally, last time I looked, gigabyte were producing 4 gigabyte ram disk pci cards for superfast disks at reasonable cost which are ideal for photoshop swap disks.

Ed Richards
11-Feb-2008, 13:25
Remember, just doing PS in 64bit is not enough, you have to run in it in 64bit Windows. Since MS has not been very good about making drivers work in 64bit, not many people buy 64bit Windows, thus providing very limited sales opportunities for 64bit PS. If MS ramps up support for Vista 64 this might change, but it has not done so yet. The small number of folks who need huge address space in PS can and do buy Macs, further limiting the market for Windows PS 64bit.

Eric Rose
11-Feb-2008, 14:56
Vista 64 bit!!?? What a hoot!! Then maybe it would have the performance of Win 98 LOL. I have a 64 bit machine and when I run 64 bit linux it just screams.

The day Adobe releases a linux version of PS will be the day before MS releases a "security patch" that makes PS run like sh*t on Winblows. Just my opinions, probably not yours.