PDA

View Full Version : 2-3-4 seconds exposure

JavaDuke
8-Feb-2008, 17:26
Probably a stupid and FAQ but anyway. All my lenses have shutters with maximum of 1 second exposure. I'm wondering if there's a better technique for measuring 2, 3, 4 seconds, etc., well, other than counting "twenty-one, twenty-two", etc.

Thanks!

Ron Marshall
8-Feb-2008, 17:28
Probably a stupid and FAQ but anyway. All my lenses have shutters with maximum of 1 second exposure. I'm wondering if there's a better technique for measuring 2, 3, 4 seconds, etc., well, other than counting "twenty-one, twenty-two", etc.

Thanks!

I usually stop down to have an exposure of four seconds or longer, that I time with a watch.

domenico Foschi
8-Feb-2008, 17:31
You can bring with you a small electronic timer, but if you are worried of how exact is your counting, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Nathan Potter
8-Feb-2008, 17:49
I've always wondered - has anyone found a timer unit that would screw into the cable release receptacle and would doubly actuate the shutter on bulb? That is - the timer would open the shutter automatically then in a set number of seconds close it either all mechanically or electrically. Something like this would sure be handy. I have a couple of mechanical self timers (bought on the island of Malta, but of British origin I believe) that screw into the cable release receptacle and are spring actuated - they are wound up then released and whirr down for 15 seconds then release the shutter. Seems it would be possible to produce one that would both open and close a shutter set on B or T in a pretty precise manner.

Nate Potter, Austin Texas

Sanjay Sen
8-Feb-2008, 17:56
I carry a stopwatch, and try to get exposures in the 4+ seconds range.

Scott --
8-Feb-2008, 18:11
Electronic kitchen timer for anything over a second.

Eric Woodbury
8-Feb-2008, 18:32
I just count them off, one-mississippi, two-mississippi, etc. At those exposures, reciprocity is kicking in and for BW, what difference does it make as long as you have enough. For long exposures I use a watch.

David Karp
8-Feb-2008, 18:39
I use my watch. Once you are into reciprocity failure, total accuracy is not really necessary.

Alan Davenport
8-Feb-2008, 23:21
Duke, just count and enjoy. A quarter-second error at 2 seconds is less than 1/3 stop, and you'll more than likely be closer than that. Don't obsess over a non-problem.

kev curry
9-Feb-2008, 01:30
For 2 - 3 second exposures I find it easier to do multiples of 1 sec exposures using the shutter. You just have to calmly and smoothly re-cock the shutter to ensure you don't jar the camera. For longer exposures I use the stopwatch on the hand phone.

kev

Daniel_Buck
9-Feb-2008, 01:35
the longer the shutter speed, the less precise it really needs to be (at least, that's my impression anyway). I just count at what is roughly 1 second per number, and it's all ok. :) Since I'm using a 320 speed film, I don't usually have shutter speeds very long, but in the event that I need to for a few seconds or longer, I just count manually.

David Millard
9-Feb-2008, 07:09
I have a mechanical Prontor Slow Speed shutter release, that releases the shutter between 2-32 seconds. Linhof used to sell these for use in photomacrography applications, but I bought it to use for low-light evening photography. However, I find that I rarely use it, and rey on my watch instead, since the margin of error is so small on the very long exposures that I do use.

john borrelli
9-Feb-2008, 08:54
I find black and white film more forgiving. Here I might error on the overexposure side if I'm counting out an exposure. If I have given 5 seconds for a 4 second exposure no problem. I have been using Efke 25 speed film and I love the idea above of multiple short exposures to avoid the effects of wind on the landscape; I will try this. Incidentily, color slide film will be less forgiving of exposure timing problems.

Jim Jones
9-Feb-2008, 12:53
The Autoknips self timer had provisions for time exposures. However, it's more convenient to program the computer at the top of your spinal column for this. Practice counting "One thousand one, one thousand two, . . ." while watching or listening to a quartz clock.

CG
9-Feb-2008, 13:23
"One thousand one, one thousand two, One thousand three, one thousand four... "

I like to start at four seconds and work up by increments of a half stop: 4, sec, six sec (It would be 5.6 sec if I had a fractional ability), 8 sec, eleven sec, sixteen sec, twenty two sec...

The f stop series is convenient to get evenly spaced exposure intervals. And since we deal with it constantly, it's easy to remember.

C

hiroki
9-Feb-2008, 15:30
I am not that worried about 2-3-4sec exposures, but I was thinking about the other end: 2-3-4 hr exposure - maybe even longer: 8hrs+

I there any tool that can help you end the exposure after a certain amount of time - automatically? just like the remote controls you have for (e.g.) a canon-dslr? a timer where you can set the duration of the exposure and it will automatically time it and release the shutter? would be really helpful as I have been doing some star-trail shots recently and really would like to sleep - instead of worrying about not waking up in time before sunrise ;) [alarm clocks usually won't wake me up if i slept for less than 4hrs, hehe]

Stephen Willard
10-Feb-2008, 03:29
95% of my exposures are between 2-16 seconds. It is very rare I shoot under one second. I use my wristwatch to time most of them. On windy days, I use the mechanical Prontor Slow Speed shutter release (2-64 second range) so that I can concentrate on managing the wind and when it pauses rather then my watch.

Pete Watkins
10-Feb-2008, 14:06
I don't know about things in The U.S. but most mobole phones sold over here have a stopwatch option in the programme.
Best wishes,
Pete.

Ole Tjugen
10-Feb-2008, 14:44
After more years in music than in (LF) photography, I have absolutely no problem counting seconds in a steady beat of 60 bpm. I recon I can time reliably down to 1/4 second with a simple lens cap or hat as a shutter, and up to as long as needed.

mdd99
17-Feb-2008, 06:27
Buy an inexpensive Timex or Coleman digital (less than $20) that counts in seconds, and you're all set for however long your exposure is.

Robert A. Zeichner
17-Feb-2008, 07:10
If you carry a piece of string with a small weight tied to one end and mark the other end of the string at a distance of 1 meter, you will have the makings of a pendulum that changes direction every second. If you have nothing to tie it to, just swing it a few times to get a feel for the tempo.