PDA

View Full Version : European wanting to order film in the U.S., but fear of x-rays

Michael Nagl
7-Feb-2008, 11:07
Dear Colleagues,

last time I bought a 10 sheet box of 8x10" 160VC here in Vienna I paid 100 Euros, which equals 147 USD. - Badger Graphic, USA, offers the same for 74 USD. Quite exactly half the amount. (And they offer films unavailable in Austria, 400NC etc., and at the moment there´s not a single sheet of any type of 8x10 film available until in two weeks or so, Kodak is said to say, which might as well mean - six weeks or so).
Now my concern is, will those films that I need so badly be x-rayed to death before I get them? Have any of you tried this? How did it work?

Thanks for your advice,
Michael

eddie
7-Feb-2008, 11:25
hi michael,

i have shipped film back and forth to Thailand many times and have had no problems. i ship my exposed film to thailand they process it, scan it and ship it back. no problems. i routinely send film to myself in thailand so it is there when i arrive. again. no problems. i have shipped film to my brother who is living in vietnam. again no problems. i have shipped all kinds of film. 135, 120, and sheet film in B&W, C41, and E6.

i hope this helps.

eddie

Michael Nagl
7-Feb-2008, 11:34
Sounds good, thanks Eddie.

Kirk Gittings
7-Feb-2008, 11:49
When I have traveled to Europe. I have mailed my film both ways rather than risk airport xrays and had no trouble.

Juergen Sattler
7-Feb-2008, 12:30
Michael, just be aware that you will be most likely charged custom fees and VAT - make sure it is still worth shipping the film with the potential of fogging because of the x-raying. I am not saying your film will definetely be fogged, but there is that risk.

Michael Nagl
7-Feb-2008, 12:35
Custom fees are somewhere around 5% I think - VAT is irrelevant for me (vorsteuerabzugsberechtigt!). As to the risk of fogging, that´s what I´m trying to find out here before it´s too late!

Miguel Curbelo
7-Feb-2008, 15:22
I have often ordered film from both Badger Graphic and Robert White -had never once had a problem.

Barry Wilkinson
8-Feb-2008, 02:33
Custom fees are somewhere around 5% I think - VAT is irrelevant for me (vorsteuerabzugsberechtigt!). As to the risk of fogging, that´s what I´m trying to find out here before it´s too late!

Lucky man. Here in the UK we pay 17.5% VAT, Import duties (variable) and there is always a courier handling charge. Add to that the shipping charge and sometimes its just not a viable alternative. I must say though that I have had some great deals from the US.

Barry

Per Madsen
8-Feb-2008, 03:42

What Michael means is, that he is the owner of a firm, which can get the VAT refunded from the Austrian tax autorities.

Diane Maher
8-Feb-2008, 07:08
I have ordered b/w film from Japan and have not had any problems with fogging.

Martin D.
8-Feb-2008, 08:36
I ordered from B&H several times and had it shipped to Germany. No problems whatsoever. Shipped by UPS, I think, the handling fee was small.

Michael Nagl
8-Feb-2008, 13:50
Thank you all for your competent advice. I think I´ll try it.

Armin Seeholzer
8-Feb-2008, 15:36
Let us know how it worked out for you and if anything was okay and fast!

Good luck Armin

Nick_3536
9-Feb-2008, 00:12
I'd love to know how much UPS Italy charges. I've got no trust for UPS.

Rainer
9-Feb-2008, 10:41
Hi Michael,

I´ve also ordered film from B&H and shipped to Austria (Grüße aus dem Südburgenland!) without any problems. You´ll pay around 8% for customs and 20% VAT when UPS delivers. (Vat will be refunded by the tax office, but that´s a different Austrian specific story... as you know)

Regards,
Rainer

Michael Nagl
8-Apr-2008, 04:04
Colleagues,

I just finished the scans from the first negatives I have on the film I had ordered from Badger Graphic, and they did not show the slightest sign of any deterioration whatsoever. All is well, it was cheap, fast & easy. Super highly recommended!
Thank you all for your contributions,

Michael