PDA

View Full Version : View Camera eSubscription

Stephen Best
5-Feb-2008, 05:55
Just how hard would it be for View Camera to automatically generate online subscription keys? I renewed last month and I'm still waiting for my password. Of course my spam filtering service could have eaten it and I'll look like a right chump ... but save yourself some work Steve and automate the goddamn thing. And while you're listening, how about combining the PDFs into a single issue one so I don't have to do it each time in Acrobat?

Brian Ellis
5-Feb-2008, 08:18
I have no idea how hard it would be. Why not talk with the magazine rather than asking people here, only one of whom can answer your question?

steve simmons
5-Feb-2008, 08:20
Send an e-mail to

amiles@viewcamera.com

We do each article as a pdf to keep the download task manageable. Otherwise, it could take hours if you don't have a high speed line - which everyone does not have. This also allows people to more quickly download the articles they are most anxious to read

I am always curious why people come on a public forum to bash us for this kind of supposed sin when it would be so much more efficient to contact us directly. I just assume the drama queen approach is more to their liking:(

FWIW, when people do have a sub problem Andrea always takes care of it within 24 business hours. She has a wonderful reputation, deservedly so, for her customer serivice.

She is much more patient with this type of thing than I am:)

steve

Stephen Best
5-Feb-2008, 13:57
I am always curious why people come on a public forum to bash us for this kind of supposed sin when it would be so much more efficient to contact us directly. I just assume the drama queen approach is more to their liking:(

I don't mean to bash but if View Camera takes money off people you have a responsibility to follow through without me having to chase you up (which I've now done). It would be so easy to automate this which would both save you the hassle and keep your customers happy. You could also encode an expiry date in the key so subscriptions could begin and end at any time. But maybe you and everyone else is happy with how things are and I'll just get out of your way.

steve simmons
6-Feb-2008, 09:24
Mr. Best did not subscribe under his name and this is why we did not have a record of him. He subscribed under his company name and we had already send an e-mail with all of the info to the company e-mail address.

steve simmons

roteague
6-Feb-2008, 10:58
All it takes is a email. I emailed VC yesterday, and got a fast response the same day. Andrea went out of her way to answer my question.

Jerzy Pawlowski
6-Feb-2008, 12:23
or simple phone call. Once I had a problem with delivery, Andrea has solved everything within less than a minute. I have received all lacking issues + extras within three days. Good service.

Stephen Best
6-Feb-2008, 13:42
Mr. Best did not subscribe under his name and this is why we did not have a record of him. He subscribed under his company name and we had already send an e-mail with all of the info to the company e-mail address.

I didn't receive this but it's not the point. And Andrea was prompt and courteous when I did request the details. I've been a subscriber to View Camera since 1994 (on and off) and have an interest in seeing the magazine prosper so I'll be able to read it in the future.

To be blunt, your subscription mechanism is clunky and inflexible and offers minimal protection. I posted this publicly because I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this. It could be automated with a unique key response that also enables you to track who downloads what and when (to see what passwords get shared around) and also to give flexibility in when the subscription begins and ends (rather than subscriptions just based on the calendar year). Also so people get an immediate response and don't have to wait until Andrea returns from visiting her niece in Nebraska. It's not a lot of work and if your server supports PHP/MySQL I'll even offer to write the code for you ... maybe in return for a perpetual subscription (my time is cheap). So really I'm just trying to be constructive. But if you're happy with how things are, so be it.

Also, I appreciate that not everybody has fast downloads but a single issue PDF as an OPTION for those that do would be much appreciated.

Thanks for listening (or not).

steve simmons
6-Feb-2008, 14:07
and don't have to wait until Andrea returns from visiting her niece in Nebraska.

Andrea does not have niece in Nebraska but she does take lunch, evenings and weekends off. Sorry.

Our customer service is very good and she works diligently at resolving any problems that do come up - see the previous comments. If you had not subscribed under your business name and then given your real name in the public attempt to humble us this could have been resolved much quicker. If you had e-mailed us directly instead of this public spectacle where you look ____________ (fill in the blank) this could have been resolved more quickly as well.

Now, cut the crap, we were on it quickly as we should have been and we did what appeared to be the right thing by responding right back to the address given for the subscription.

We can't out guess everyone who wants to make a public spectacle of us. All we can do is work hard to put out the best magazine we can and resolve any problems as quickly as is reasonable.

BTW, Andrea is an only child.:)

steve simmons

Annie M.
6-Feb-2008, 14:29
You can be an only child and still have a niece... except perhaps in Nebraska.

steve simmons
6-Feb-2008, 14:35
she's not married either

steve

IanG
6-Feb-2008, 14:51
she's not married either
steve
You might have told us that a few months ago :D when I was still an eligible bachelor . . . . . :eek:

She is very efficient, despite the fact she doesn't work over her lunch break ;) , thanks Steve, both you and Andrea have been fast and efficient with my subscription to View Camera.

Sometimes personalities count, not automated systems.

Ian

BrianShaw
6-Feb-2008, 14:57
I'm sure she's blushing with embarassment over this discussion.

steve simmons
6-Feb-2008, 15:33
I'm sure she's blushing with embarassment over this discussion.

yes, but with laughter

steve

Eric Biggerstaff
6-Feb-2008, 15:45
Andrea! Andrea!..............Where fore art thou Andrea!

She is pretty terrific!

Jan Pedersen
6-Feb-2008, 16:17
Think it is about time we get a VC staff photo ;)

steve simmons
6-Feb-2008, 16:29
All two of us???

steve

Skorzen
6-Feb-2008, 19:30
Send an e-mail to

FWIW, when people do have a sub problem Andrea always takes care of it within 24 business hours. She has a wonderful reputation, deservedly so, for her customer serivice.

She is much more patient with this type of thing than I am:)

steve

I just wanted to comment that when I subscribed there was a little bit of confusion somewhere along the line with getting from the paypal transaction to the books. I called and spoke to Andrea and then worked the rest of it out through email. Andrea was great with getting things worked out and even got my copy to me faster than it might have otherwise.

Just a heads up I am sure that if you call (or had called) Andrea she would work things out.

thetooth
6-Feb-2008, 19:39
I just wanted to comment that when I subscribed there was a little bit of confusion somewhere along the line with getting from the paypal transaction to the books. I called and spoke to Andrea and then worked the rest of it out through email. Andrea was great with getting things worked out and even got my copy to me faster than it might have otherwise.

Just a heads up I am sure that if you call (or had called) Andrea she would work things out.

same here just a quick phone call and email . very polite . looking forward to the magazine .

thanks

tim

Jan Pedersen
6-Feb-2008, 20:26
All two of us???

Well, maybe just half of the staff then. Not to leave anyone out you could take the photo Steve. :D

BrianShaw
7-Feb-2008, 07:59
Well, maybe just half of the staff then. Not to leave anyone out you could take the photo Steve. :D

Ha, ha.. that's right... someone has to hold the camera. Steve... you hold the camera!

steve simmons
7-Feb-2008, 09:30
self timer, long cable release, :)

steve

jetcode
7-Feb-2008, 12:10
self timer, long cable release, :)

steve

you can always go into Galen Rowell mode, find a nice rock cropping with a great backdrop in the landscape (usually at 10k feet and up), setup your camera, set the timer, play mountain goat getting to the cropping, pose, wait, and come back with a one of a kind image - the man was impressive