PDA

View Full Version : Is this Agfa Ansco film holder ok?

timbo10ca
3-Feb-2008, 15:01
Hi-
I just picked up the above mentioned used holder, and it is different from other holders I have. I'm wondering if I can use it:

Rather than the smooth plastic surface inside the holder on which the film sits, there is a grid of large squares indented into the surface. Will these cause any light bouncing that would register on the film (similar to what a 35mm camera pressure plate would do to Kodak HIE)?

Thanks,
Tim

Gene McCluney
3-Feb-2008, 15:12
Hi-
I just picked up the above mentioned used holder, and it is different from other holders I have. I'm wondering if I can use it:

Rather than the smooth plastic surface inside the holder on which the film sits, there is a grid of large squares indented into the surface. Will these cause any light bouncing that would register on the film (similar to what a 35mm camera pressure plate would do to Kodak HIE)?

Thanks,
Tim

Many film holders have a pattern of indented lines embossed on the inside where the film rests. It is of no consequence to the film. The holder you have should be painted black inside, and if it is still black (not chipped paint) there is no chance of light "bouncing around" that would register on the film. I think some holder manufacturers designed grooves or patterns to help release trapped air under the film, so the film would lay flat.

timbo10ca
3-Feb-2008, 17:29
Thanks Gene.

John Kasaian
3-Feb-2008, 18:13
I've had similar Agfa holders. They work fine (as long as the light traps are good!)

IanG
4-Feb-2008, 01:05
Like John I have a couple of these darkslides ( we call film holders darkslides in the UK) which were supplied new with my Agfa-Ansco, to the original owner in the late 1930's. They are very well made.

Ian

Glenn Thoreson
13-Feb-2008, 12:20
The stamped pattern won't affect anything, but the slides might. I think The old Ansco holders I have, have aluminum slides, which is fine for infrared. If it has composite slides, they could be questionable. Some of the early composite ones were not opaque to infrared light, i.e. Graflex Type 4 vs newer Type 5. Just to be sure when using these oldies, you might want to do what I do: keep 'em wrapped in aluminum foil until the moment you're ready to put them in the camera.