PDA

View Full Version : Reduction backs for Arca 8x10s

unprintable
1-Feb-2008, 09:59
Hey guys. I'm a student that's been interested in moving up to large format. So I've been offered an older Arca 8x10 (model C, I think) with a Nikon 150mm lens for a pretty good deal. But I'm not sure I should just move straight up to 8x10, considering things like ease and expense, so I was thinking maybe I'll get it but look into a 4x5 reduction back for it to start....but I can't find any information on such a thing at all. Right now on eBay there's a 4x5 "board" without the back, but that's all I can find about it. Are these things rare/expensive to the point that I shouldn't bother? If that's the case, maybe I'd like just a little reassurance that shooting in 8x10 isn't going to be nearly as draining (expense-wise) as a part of me fears. I'd really love to get the camera as I know one day I will want to shoot 8x10 (hell, I'd love to right now), but I'm worried it's not the smartest short-term option since I'm so poor. Any help would be appreciated.

sethf22
1-Feb-2008, 11:31
Here is a picture of one.

http://i12.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/9b/d2/4991_1.JPG

There is one available for sale on eBay for just over $100.

I also have one available for sale that has been slightly modified to take the newer graflok backs as well as the older Arca backs.

A 4x5 Arca back fits directly onto this reducing plate. I have one of these available for sale as well.

You can see an example of a 4x5 back here:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7603&d=1196085726

The older Arca 8x10 is a very nice camera all on its own, I highly recommend it.

Seth

unprintable
1-Feb-2008, 12:29
Ah, thanks so much for the information. At least now I know they do exist.

Mark Carstens
1-Feb-2008, 14:29
Welcome to the Forum!

I have an Arca Model C 8x10 and, for the price, it's a great camera. If the camera you're referring to is in good shape -- zero detents are still crisp and precise and the bellows are light tight and in good shape overall, then it's a nice set-up to have. Shooting with a 150 on 8x10 is very wide angle perspective. If that's not how you normally shoot, then you might pass on the lens and just buy the camera. In any case, your subjects may dictate the format as much as anything. I started with 4x5 and then added 8x10, but YMMV. Jumping right into 8x10 with realistic expectations is very doable.

I know it's a simple question, but why are you interested in shooting LF?

~Mark

unprintable
1-Feb-2008, 17:49
Welcome to the Forum!

I have an Arca Model C 8x10 and, for the price, it's a great camera. If the camera you're referring to is in good shape -- zero detents are still crisp and precise and the bellows are light tight and in good shape overall, then it's a nice set-up to have. Shooting with a 150 on 8x10 is very wide angle perspective. If that's not how you normally shoot, then you might pass on the lens and just buy the camera. In any case, your subjects may dictate the format as much as anything. I started with 4x5 and then added 8x10, but YMMV. Jumping right into 8x10 with realistic expectations is very doable.

I know it's a simple question, but why are you interested in shooting LF?

~Mark

Thanks, Mark. The camera I'm looking was kept really well and the people selling it are good people, so a part of me definitely feels like I simply CAN'T pass up on it while the deal's here, even if on the short-term it might not make the most sense (financially).

To answer your question, I'm interested in moving up to large format because I've been shooting rigorously since I started up with photography. It's come to be a very large part of my life. I like the idea of LF because I've never been a "fast" photographer; I always sit there and compose the shot and consider what I'm doing for a while before I ever take the shot. From what I understand, large format lends itself well to this deliberately paced style of shooting. Also, as I'm still quite excited about photography in general, I want to learn more about it, and I think going large will force me to get into the real nitty-gritty science of photography more than working in 35mm or medium format (and most certainly digital) would. And then of course there's the obvious answer, the tremendous leap in resolution. Hope that answers your question.

Sheldon N
1-Feb-2008, 18:07
Double check which Nikon 150mm lens it is. If it is the 150mm f/5.6 W lens it is not for 8x10 (insufficient coverage) and is worth about $300. If it is the 150mm f/8 SW lens (larger front element, hourglass shape) then it is a very nice lens for 8x10, is a very wide angle view, and is worth about $1200.

If the Camera is an Arca Model C, in good shape with no light leaks in the bellows, it is worth a fair bit on its own, perhaps $1000.

The reason I mention this is that you say you are "so poor" but are still thinking about buying it! If it's that cheap and a good deal on the camera/lens together. I'd recommend that you buy it, sell the 150mm Nikkor, and get something a little longer in focal length. There's lots of good 8x10 lenses down in the $3-500 range.

Shooting 8x10 is a great way to dip your toes in the large format waters. :)

unprintable
2-Feb-2008, 14:40
The lens is the hourglass f8. The camera is also in great shape. It's one of those things where right now I shouldn't spend the money, technically, but I think I'd eventually regret it because the deal really is a great one and I know I'd eventually want to try 8x10 anyway. Hence the search for a reasonably priced 4x5 back/plate so I won't have to make the big leap right away into 8x10 negatives and what-not, or rather so I at least have the option for the "safer" 4x5 route.

Anyways, thanks for the advice on the lens. Definitely worth considering and maybe a good way to save a bit of money.