PDA

View Full Version : Grandagon N 75/4.5 - recessed lens board

Matus Kalisky
30-Jan-2008, 01:54
Hello,

recently I acquired a very nice Grandagon N 75/4.5 and as just 2 days ago I successfully defended my PhD - I have time for photography again :p . Anyhow - although it is not a problem to focuse the lens on a flat lens board to infinity with my Tachihara, the bellows are quite compressed and does not allowe for much movements. So I consider to get a recessed lens board - the question is - which one. In other words - how MUCH recessed. Original Linhof lens boards cost a fortune and there are some generic ones out there. Any advice or experience would be helpfull.

thanks

kev curry
30-Jan-2008, 06:21
Hi Matus I use a Fujinon SWD 75mm(Copal 0) in a generic 19mm recessed board with my Tachi. Its a tight fits but its ok. The lens board itself is a very precise fit to the camera. The cable release fitting thats mounted on the board works very well (with a bit of modification). If I remember correctly I had to shorten the length of the Pin that triggers the shutter and do a little patient bending with pliers for the best fit.

The seller is on ebay under the name of........ jinfinance( 9351 )

regards
kev

Just to add Matus, I have to use the end of a pencil to open and close the Preview Lever...the fingers don't quite fit. I'm also glad that I opted for the board with the Off centre Hole rather than the center drilled hole. I think this allows a little more room for positioning the shutter.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/19mm-centered-recessed-lens-board-for-LINHOF-technika_W0QQitemZ350020052185QQihZ022QQcategoryZ107927QQcmdZViewItem

Aender Brepsom
30-Jan-2008, 06:26
I had the very same lensboard, but was unable to get the damn cable release device to work properly. There is always the possibility to use a flexible GEPE cable release adapter directly on the shutter. And yes, the lensboard is a tad thicker than most of the Technika-tpye lensboards, but that was no problem for my Ebony.
I hope you do enjoy the Grandagon...

Bob Salomon
30-Jan-2008, 06:54
The 001015 Comfort recessed lensboard from Linhof is the correct board. All control are on the surface of the board.

kev curry
30-Jan-2008, 07:31
Heres a link to the Linhof Studio UK that stocks the board that Bob mentioned.
http://www.linhofstudio.com/home/home.html

Matus Kalisky
30-Jan-2008, 08:30
- kev -

that is exactely the generic lens board Ihad in mind. I am just wondering wehter 11m instead of 19mm would not be enough - and easier to use. I Have to check with the camera.

- Bob -

001015 Comfort ... is the corect board

sure the Linhof would be the best - but 130 pounds is a bit too "heavy" ;) . But still - you mean that other ones (from Linhof, of course) would not fit ?

- aender -

I do enjoy it - but I have not taken ANY pictures with it yet as I was busy to finish my PhD. But this will change in the very next few days.

JPlomley
30-Jan-2008, 09:16
Matus,

Congratulations on your thesis defence. Certainly, one of life's finest moments.

You will love the 75/4.5-N Grandagon. An extremely sharp lens with a beautiful color rendition. I use a flat board on my Arca Swiss for this lens, but need a 7mm recessed board for the 55 APO Grandagon. If you use wide angles a lot, have you considered a bag bellows?

ljb0904
30-Jan-2008, 09:31
Congrats on the defense and the lens. It's one of my favorites. I'm not sure how much recession I have on my board, but it's about the width of the copal shutter. I use the cable release end to move the lens controls. Works great on my Osaka.

David A. Goldfarb
30-Jan-2008, 09:54
Congrats on the defense.

My 75/4.5 Grandagon-N lives on an older Linhof recessed board from the Tech IV/V era (it's tan) with a 20mm recess (or thereabouts), and it has an angled metal cable-release adapter attached to the shutter (if it didn't, I'd use a Gepe flexible cable release extender). I have small fingers, so I can reach the controls, or if I have the center filter on and the lens wide open and just need to stop it down for the exposure, I can reach the aperture control with a pencil.

David Karp
30-Jan-2008, 10:54
Can't help you regarding the lensboard, but congratulations.

Songyun
30-Jan-2008, 11:00
Matus,

Congratulations on your thesis defence. Certainly, one of life's finest moments.

You will love the 75/4.5-N Grandagon. An extremely sharp lens with a beautiful color rendition. I use a flat board on my Arca Swiss for this lens, but need a 7mm recessed board for the 55 APO Grandagon. If you use wide angles a lot, have you considered a bag bellows?
Tachihara has none exchangeable bellow.

Matus Kalisky
31-Jan-2008, 03:20
Thank you guys. Indeed - if I managed to do the PhD I will manage to find a nice recessed lensboard. I am looking forward to use the Grandagon N - I plan a little "project" if the time allows - the experimental setups at GSI (http://www.gsi.de) look quite cool.

ljb0904
31-Jan-2008, 13:09
Tachihara has none exchangeable bellow.

Yes, this would be the point of getting the recessed board as it would allow the non-replaceable bellows to not be so compressed and allow a modicum of movements.

Songyun
31-Jan-2008, 15:29
Thank you guys. Indeed - if I managed to do the PhD I will manage to find a nice recessed lensboard. I am looking forward to use the Grandagon N - I plan a little "project" if the time allows - the experimental setups at GSI (http://www.gsi.de) look quite cool.
Congratulations!, I might get my degree in a few months, which means no time for photography.

Matus Kalisky
5-Feb-2008, 05:28
Congratulations!, I might get my degree in a few months, which means no time for photography.

Good luck! I can just assure you that you will enjoy photography much more afterwards !