PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for the Zone VI timer

blevblev
15-Jan-2008, 11:29
So, what is the problem in creating a new temperature sensitive timer? It's a great gizmo, but Zone VI is gone, and the supply will eventually peter out as they go belly up. There are certainly computer controlled digital timers available. I ordered one for $20 to play around with.

Is the problem matching the expansion/contraction of time to a particular film/paper/developer temperature/time curve?

Obviously creating a new self-contained gizmo that would be manufactured would be a lot harder, but a computer program to sense and interpret the thermometer is more do-able. It would also make it possible to make the timer follow more than one curve.

Curt Palm
15-Jan-2008, 12:14
I've been working on a software compensating developing timer for over a year. It is written in Java and runs on Mac OS X or Windows. It should be ready for release in Feb. or March of 2008. There are a few details and an almost up to date pdf manual at: http://www.curtpalm.com/Software.html

blevblev
15-Jan-2008, 12:30
Better you than me. You've got one customer waiting...

2 questions:

1) any plans to embed the software into a device?
2) will it work with the tablet version of Windows XP (the one that uses a stylus) ?

Thanks

dpetersen
17-Jan-2008, 18:01
As I am a moron about computer language, etc., could this run an a Palm or similar PDA device?

Thanks,
DP

Curt Palm
18-Jan-2008, 12:06
Better you than me. You've got one customer waiting...

2 questions:

2) will it work with the tablet version of Windows XP (the one that uses a stylus) ?

Thanks

No, the cost and time of developing an such device seem large to me

I don't know the answer to this, I'm not familiar with the tablet XP, other than seeing the full size laptops with a tablet on the reverse side of the screen. Is this what you are talking about?
the software is written in Java with a platform specific Java native interface.
It needs a USB port for the temperature probe. It would have to be tested.

Curt Palm
18-Jan-2008, 12:13
As I am a moron about computer language, etc., could this run an a Palm or similar PDA device?

Thanks,
DP

It will not run on a Palm or PDA in its current form. I've no experience with programing for PDAs. It probably is possible, however the temperature probe I'm using is a USB interface and I don't believe these are available on PDAs. the company that makes the probe, makes a device that allows data collection from their sensors with PDAs, but this would add $220 to the cost.

blevblev
19-Jan-2008, 11:45
other than seeing the full size laptops with a tablet on the reverse side of the screen. Is this what you are talking about?

The tablet PC I have is just a tablet - a keyboard is an option like this one: http://www.motioncomputing.com/products/tablet_pc_le17.asp

it's the only thing that I could use in the darkroom right now. I think it would work, it just uses the stylus to control the mouse, and has some programs to help with character recognition and what not. If you'd like, I could test it and tell you if it does work. I ordered the usb thermometer.