PDA

View Full Version : Geared head light weight?

Chris Dunham
14-Jan-2008, 22:42
Is there such an animal as a geared head that is light enough for field work or am I dreaming? Similar weight to or not much more than an Arca ball head?

Chris.

Matt Blaze
14-Jan-2008, 23:14
Is there such an animal as a geared head that is light enough for field work or am I dreaming? Similar weight to or not much more than an Arca ball head?

Chris.

What's your budget? What kind of field work? And what's "light enough?"

There's always the Arca-Swiss C1, which is light (2lbs) and strong, but definitely not cheap.

The Manfrotto 410 is very well regarded, is rated for loads up to 11lbs, and weighs less than 3lbs.

Fred L
15-Jan-2008, 16:14
Got a Manfrotto 410 last year for the 4x5. The precise movements on single axiis (?) are nice but there's one thing I find a tad annoying.

With the qr plate under the camera, I find grabbing one of the quickset knobs hard to do since it's almost aligned with the top of the head. Slow control is fine, just the fast slew.

tim810
16-Jan-2008, 07:58
I use the 410 on my Sinar f1 4x5 and used it last weekend on my Arca 8x10 (12 lbs). It worked well in the field and didn't seem to struggle with the weight. I was really carefull with the 8x10 but it seemed to manage well with no problems. I am looking for a stronger one for when I finnish my 12x20. I think the 410 will buckle under that weight. Arca Cube would be nice (DREAMING!!!!).

Kirk Gittings
16-Jan-2008, 09:29
I switched to the 410 after watching Eric Biggerstaff use one at Chaco a few years ago. It is now my standard for everything from DSLR to 4x5 rail.

lenser
16-Jan-2008, 09:37
The 410 does it all and exceptionally well!

vinny
16-Jan-2008, 10:03
The 410 does it all and exceptionally well!

I had one for a couple years until i got my Pentax 67II. I then noticed that the gears were sloppy in the pan control. Of course, a very solid head is necessary with that camera. I think the head will handle most gear but mine didn't last long with frequent use. I wish it did cuz those geared movements are the best thing since cold beer.

Eugene van der Merwe
24-Jan-2008, 01:35
To add to Vinny's comment, i've had a 410 for about 4 years and lately i've also noticed a bit of slack when it's heavily loaded. It's usually fine, but in windy conditions it tends to wobble a bit more than i'd like, particularly at longer extensions when the camera catches more wind.

Ben Calwell
1-Feb-2008, 13:47
Coming late to this thread, does anyone have experience using the 410 with a wooden 8x10 such as the Kodak 2D or Tachihara?

Michael Nagl
6-Feb-2008, 16:14
Answering late; Well, not with a wooden camera but with a Wehman (8x10). Works.

Capocheny
6-Feb-2008, 20:02
Also answering late: I used a 410 with a Dorff 8x10 and it was definitely a bit on the light side.

Another option is to go with the 405 head... also by Manfrotto.

It'll handle more weight but at the cost of lightness.

IMHO, they're both great heads!

Cheers

newmoon2night
23-Feb-2008, 06:34
Only just noticed this thread, and I have a 410.
Do you know that the three movements can be tightened with a hex key, by carefully removing the round Manfrotto logo labels? It's not necessary to puncture a hole in the middle of the labels. I've not had to tighten mine yet, but curiosity got the better of me, so I carefully put a Stanley knife under the edge of the round label, and sure enough it peels away to reveal the hex screw. The labels sticky enough to go back, with no cosmetic blemishes to the 410!

To add to Vinny's comment, i've had a 410 for about 4 years and lately i've also noticed a bit of slack when it's heavily loaded. It's usually fine, but in windy conditions it tends to wobble a bit more than i'd like, particularly at longer extensions when the camera catches more wind.

bigdog
23-Feb-2008, 12:51
... i've had a 410 for about 4 years and lately i've also noticed a bit of slack when it's heavily loaded.

The 410 head is only rated for 11 lbs. Add long bellows extentions or long tele lenses on smaller cameras, and it is easy to exceed this capacity on a practical basis. There are larger and heavier geared heads. I have a 410 and use it for everything up through my Mamiya RB. However, when I use the RB with the 500mm tele, the weight is at about 10 lbs. Given the size and borderline weight, I go to a heavier head for that combo.

I might put a light 4x5 on the 410, but not anything bigger. Manfrotto has the 405 head, and I think they make (or made) a 400, or some other even heavier. It's kind of like anything else, you gotta have the right tools.

All things equal, I love a geared head. It was a revelation!

As usual, "your mileage may vary". :)

seawolf66
25-Feb-2008, 14:10
I use and enjoy my Gitzo G1267M ball head which is for 11.0 Lbs and Gitzo G1376M is for 13.0 Lbs just under two Lbs for weight ,Its nice and small: no handles hanging out to get in the way of move-ing around it while set up:

David Schaller
26-Feb-2008, 19:30
I use the 410 with my 8x10 Deardorff. Never a problem, even with the bellows racked way out.
Dave

ljsegil
29-Feb-2008, 16:28
Is a geared head a big advantage over a heavy duty ball head for 4x5 use? Is there still slippage forward when using heavy lenses with the geared head? Does the geared head make control, particularly for macrophotography, much easier? Experience and wisdom appreciated.
LJS

lenser
29-Feb-2008, 17:43
The few times that I've tried a ball head, I had lots of trouble getting a side to side level, even with 35mm gear. With large format, it was really had to keep the camera where I wanted long enough to tighten it down.

I've got the 410 and have used it without even the hint of a complaint for about twenty years. Every thing from my light weight Zone VI to a very heavy 8x10 Kodak Master with a few extra pounds of glass and it still kept the camera set exactly where I wanted it with do drifting whatever.

Tim