PDA

View Full Version : Scanning in DC

bgh
14-Jan-2008, 09:14
A question on behalf of a colleague in Washington, DC: would anyone on the list have a recommendation for a lab where negatives of various formats can be scanned?

Many thanks in advance,
Bruce

BarryS
14-Jan-2008, 09:17
Chrome does excellent work, although they're no bargain.

http://www.chromeimaging.com/home.html

Walter Calahan
14-Jan-2008, 13:47
Chrome

Joshua Dunn
16-Jan-2008, 21:10
Chrome.

They are expensive but do outstanding work. They used their drum scanner to scan some 4x5 transparencies for me. They also have a "Digital" enlarger. Basically it makes an exposure on a light sensitive paper using LEDs. It's then processed conventionally. I was doing some copy work of an old painting. The results were very impressive.

They are on Q Street in Georgetown.

bgh
18-Jan-2008, 07:56
Thanks so much to all! I'll forward the information about Chrome Imaging on to my colleague; I'm sure that he'll appreciate the assistance, as do I.

Best,
Bruce

Min
22-Jan-2008, 08:59
If you want a very good alternative to Chrome, I recommend Black & White Lab in Arlington (1916 Wilson Blvd) for well done, clean Imacon scans...and althought the name doesn't suggest it, in addition to digital and analog black and white they do color scanning and output. Its a ma and pa operation with a very high customer service orientation ... i could go on....

...and the parking is easy!