PDA

View Full Version : Which macro lens for 4x5 tachihara

Troy_F
11-Jan-2008, 18:20
In my digital life I can attach a macro lens to my 300mm canon lens and make a flea fill the area of an 8x10 print or larger. My question is which lens(es) in the LF world would do the same using my 4x5 tachihara cam? Note, I'm looking to make something as small as a moth or smaller fill the area of a 4x5 or 8x10 negative without scanning or enlargement, using a macro lens.

Jon Shiu
11-Jan-2008, 18:38
Hello, you might try a 50mm enlarging lens (reversed) such as an EL Nikkor 50mm f2.8.

Jon

Peter K
12-Jan-2008, 04:25
Macro-lenses where built by Zeiss, Nikon and others in different focal lenghts from about 10mm up to 120mm. Together with a leaf-shutter you can blow up fleas and moths. As mentioned before enlarging lenses with short focal lenghts are a good choice. But also with this lenses you need a shutter and mounting rings.

Peter K

Ted Harris
12-Jan-2008, 10:57
A partial correction/addition to the post above.

Macro lenses are available from Nikon (recently discontinued but sometimes still available new), Rodenstock and Schneider in focal lengths from 120mm through 210mm.

Your choice will be based, in part, on the amount of bellows extension you have available.

Peter K
12-Jan-2008, 11:26
A partial correction/addition to the post above.

Macro lenses are available from Nikon (recently discontinued but sometimes still available new), Rodenstock and Schneider in focal lengths from 120mm through 210mm.

Your choice will be based, in part, on the amount of bellows extension you have available.
With the Tachihara 4 x 5" and it's bellows extension from 330mm and a lens of 120mm one needs a realy big flea in the size of 90mm. ;)

A big flea with it's size of 4,5mm must be enlarged 20x to fill 4x5". So one needs at least a macro-lens like the Luminar 16mm. With smaller fleas the focal-lenght must also be smaller.

Peter K

Ralph Barker
12-Jan-2008, 12:11
To further amplify the responses, reaching your objective is a function of focal length and maximum bellows extension versus magnification. To reach 1:1, a bellows extension of 2x the focal length is required, for 2:1 (image size being 2x the object size), 3x the focal length is needed. Making a moth fill a 4x5 frame would be an even larger magnification (reproduction) ratio - probably 5:1 or even greater, depending on the size of the moth, of course.

Using the formula of M=(b-f)/f, where M is the magnification ratio, b is the maximum bellows extension, and f is the lens focal length, the maximum magnification you could get with the Tachihara's 330mm of bellows would be 1.75 with a 120mm lens, 3.4 with a 75mm lens, or 5.6 with a 50mm lens.

Note, too, that DOF is extremely shallow at these magnifications.

Dr Klaus Schmitt
15-Jan-2008, 02:49
http://www.macrolenses.de/objektive.php?lang

...about 300 macrolenses online with pics and tech. data.

Cheers, Klaus

Peter Galuszewski
15-Jan-2008, 12:55
I thought the M stood for "moth" in this case. I am no darn good at this maths thing:)

Peter K
16-Jan-2008, 01:06
I thought the M stood for "moth" in this case. I am no darn good at this maths thing:)
To avoid this, one must use the f (flea) - stop. :D

Peter K

Peter Galuszewski
17-Jan-2008, 23:04
To avoid this, one must use the f (flea) - stop. :D

Peter K

aah! but of course :D