PDA

View Full Version : Screen DT-S1015ai drum scanner

Bob Y
11-Jan-2008, 09:09
I just picked up one of these old (1992) drum scanners and would appreciate any advice or help.

1. I have the drivers on floppy but was wondering if anyone has them online (it is hard to find a floppy drive now a days!)
2. Does anyone know how to remove the drum? I have the instructions for a 1030, but it appears to be slightly different.

Thanks,

Bob

vinny
11-Jan-2008, 09:41
Bob, I have the 1030 and the software on floppies as well. I can't help with the drum. You can get a usb floppy drive for under $30 online or from comp usa. There's a scanning group on yahoo i was pointed to but little help there with the Screen scanners. Nobody but you and i seem to have one! That said, the results are impressive once you get it going. As far as i know the software was only written for mac and will only work up to OS 8 or somthing like that. Good luck

jetcode
11-Jan-2008, 09:54
www.screenusa.com

vinny
11-Jan-2008, 09:57
Screen doesn't make drum scanners anymore afaik and my emails to them regarding mine went unanswered. Bob, let me know if they are of some help.

Bob Y
11-Jan-2008, 10:24
Screen doesn't make drum scanners anymore afaik and my emails to them regarding mine went unanswered. Bob, let me know if they are of some help.

Vinny, Thanks for your help. I will look into a USB floppy drive (actually, I don't have a Mac, but a friend is loaning me one of his). I did call Screen this morning and got some help from a nice lady named Kristin. She sent me a file called "DTS1030Training".

Hope to get the show on the road. I have seen some nice scans out of Screen products.

Bob

Bob Y
14-Jan-2008, 18:08

Vinny, What is your configuration? System (OS)? Stand-alone vs PhotoShop Plugin? Hardware? Driver version? Sorry for so many questions.

Bob

Ted Harris
14-Jan-2008, 22:53
Screen still makes drum scanners. Kristen, who spoke with Bob is their key US tech support person.

johnmcbride
7-Feb-2008, 13:30
Hi all

I just purchased a used Screen DT-S1030AI. I was going to start a new thread but it seems that I might be better off posting here for now.

I'm in NYC and a total newbie with this thing. It's a 100 pound monster that I got on Ebay from a nice guy who included an old Mac and a mounting station with it. It seems like it is in quite good condition for it's age although it looks like it got bounced around during shipping so I am a little nervous. The bulb filament broke - the seller is trying to find me a new one at the moment. It seems like I should have a couple spares on hand. I also need to buy the consumables for the wet mounting process.

Anyway, I'm looking to make contact with other drum scanner owners, especially in the NYC area and/or owners with the same/similar models to compare notes with. I'm a total newbie with the drum scanning. Although I'm pretty computer savvy, I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the ins and outs of using this...

Comments and suggestions welcome!!!

Gordon Moat
7-Feb-2008, 13:48
You can try Prazio (http://www.prazio.com) for the wet mounting fluids, sprays, wipes, film cleaner, etc. They have a starter kit you can purchase initially, and that gives you several items; good way to start and figure out which things you want to use more often, then order more later. I would suggest calling in your order on the phone, since I found it went much smoother than their on-line store.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

tomhamp
7-Feb-2008, 17:16
Hello,

I am the rather passive moderator of the Screen DST-1030AI group on Yahoo.

Due to time constraints, I have not been able to move forward with the two of these drum scanners that I have.

However, I am working on it now...and having certain problems related to using Mac G3 Beiges...

Feel free to email me, or go to the Yahoo Group to converse. Will fill you in on how I am doing.

Cheers
Tom

Bob Y
7-Feb-2008, 22:27
Hi all

I just purchased a used Screen DT-S1030AI. I was going to start a new thread but it seems that I might be better off posting here for now.

I'm in NYC and a total newbie with this thing. It's a 100 pound monster that I got on Ebay from a nice guy who included an old Mac and a mounting station with it. It seems like it is in quite good condition for it's age although it looks like it got bounced around during shipping so I am a little nervous. The bulb filament broke - the seller is trying to find me a new one at the moment. It seems like I should have a couple spares on hand. I also need to buy the consumables for the wet mounting process.

Anyway, I'm looking to make contact with other drum scanner owners, especially in the NYC area and/or owners with the same/similar models to compare notes with. I'm a total newbie with the drum scanning. Although I'm pretty computer savvy, I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the ins and outs of using this...

Comments and suggestions welcome!!!
John,

I hope that you can get your 1030ai on line. The results of the 1015ai have been wonderful! I suggest that you get in touch with Kristen kserenda@screenusa.com . She sent me a tutorial on the 1030ai written by one of their service people. The tutorial is a bit clearer than the manual.

On the 1015ai software, you must disable shared memory.

The bulb on my 1015 is 12v, 35w (I think it is the same as your 1030). You might try topbulb.com.

Regarding supplies, I found this site interesting: http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/cheapfluidmounting.html

I followed their suggestion regarding blue painters tape (I used the extra delicate tape) and used their suggested retailer www.pitman.com as a source of Kami SMF2001 at a reasonable price ($29). I purchased a package of microfiber clothes from Target's automotive section, scanner cleaner and PEC-12 film cleaner from Calumet. I am surprised how good even dry mounted (simply taped) slides come out.

Bob

Ted Harris
8-Feb-2008, 06:27
I also recommend the extra delicate blue tape. Another great source for supplies is Prazio www.prazio.com they also do a lot of drum repair and refurbishment .... great fluids, etc. usually at far lower prices than Kami.

Sergio Carmona
27-Feb-2008, 14:33
Bob, I have the 1030 and the software on floppies as well. I can't help with the drum. You can get a usb floppy drive for under $30 online or from comp usa. There's a scanning group on yahoo i was pointed to but little help there with the Screen scanners. Nobody but you and i seem to have one! That said, the results are impressive once you get it going. As far as i know the software was only written for mac and will only work up to OS 8 or somthing like that. Good luck

Hi Vinny. Well, at least soon will be a third "owner" of one Screen 1030. It's a long story to write here about where is the scanner and how I'll pick-up it in ten days...
But I'm so happy to have someone to ask about it :)
And I got a problem before the start: there isn't mounting station and I just have been using Nikon scanners last years.
By the way,I'm photographer, based in Barcelona,Spain.
So,any chance to find a mounting station? Any idea?
I'll be in touch to share comments and ask for advices :))
It's really worth all this effort? Thank you in advance. Cheers!
SERGIO CARMONA

Tri Tran
27-Feb-2008, 21:12
Hi Vinny. Well, at least soon will be a third "owner" of one Screen 1030. It's a long story to write here about where is the scanner and how I'll pick-up it in ten days...
But I'm so happy to have someone to ask about it :)
And I got a problem before the start: there isn't mounting station and I just have been using Nikon scanners last years.
By the way,I'm photographer, based in Barcelona,Spain.
So,any chance to find a mounting station? Any idea?
I'll be in touch to share comments and ask for advices :))
It's really worth all this effort? Thank you in advance. Cheers!
SERGIO CARMONA

Sergio,
A little bit messy if you do it wet mounting right on the mounted drum otherwise you'll be alright. The guy sold me the 1030 ai has never used the mounting station for the last 12 years, so no worry about the mounting station. Good luck.

Sergio Carmona
28-Feb-2008, 02:00
Sergio,
A little bit messy if you do it wet mounting right on the mounted drum otherwise you'll be alright. The guy sold me the 1030 ai has never used the mounting station for the last 12 years, so no worry about the mounting station. Good luck.[SIZE="4"][B][FONT="Verdana"]

Thank you for the support ;) Of course I'll try my best without the M.S.
I'll need some time to make it work; a Mac G3 is included and I'll need to network with a PC to edit the pictures.Also finding the fluid,cleaner,etc... in BCN,and I just have an address of the Screen distributor in Spain.
I'll keep informing and asking for help the next weeks.
Regards!
SERGIO :)

Bob Y
28-Feb-2008, 06:22
Sergio,

Regarding networking under OS 8 or 9, check out "Web sharing" under the control panels of the Mac. It is a simple way of sharing files with a PC. Assign a static IP address to your Mac (also under Control Panels). Turn on "Web sharing" via the Control Panels, then use your internet browser and direct it to the assigned static IP address of you Mac. A webpage with the names of the files in your shared folder will appear on your browser. Click & download these files.

I usually don't use a Mac, so that is about all I know (I learned it from a friend who is a Mac user). The best part is that it is part of the OS and is free.

Sergio Carmona
28-Feb-2008, 14:02
Sergio,

Regarding networking under OS 8 or 9, check out "Web sharing" under the control panels of the Mac. It is a simple way of sharing files with a PC. Assign a static IP address to your Mac (also under Control Panels). Turn on "Web sharing" via the Control Panels, then use your internet browser and direct it to the assigned static IP address of you Mac. A webpage with the names of the files in your shared folder will appear on your browser. Click & download these files.

I usually don't use a Mac, so that is about all I know (I learned it from a friend who is a Mac user). The best part is that it is part of the OS and is free.

Thanks for the trick Bob. Honestly,I'm not sure to do it properly,but I'll try.
And also could be an option a external hard disk and keep the mac's disk "clean". Anyway,there are technicians close to my flat; if I get stack I'll go for help.
I hope to start a.s.a.p. to give feedback everybody. Cheers!