PDA

View Full Version : Archival issues with PMK Pyro

Robbie Shymanski
10-Jan-2008, 17:47
I guess my basic question is if there are long term archival issues processing black & white negatives in PMK. The main issues I see is not being able to use a hypo clearing agent. I guess I would have to test the negatives how well the washing and dip back into the used developer removes hypo traces.

And before anyone tells me to consult Hutchings, I am waiting for a copy on inter-library loan.

Brook Martin
10-Jan-2008, 18:34
Just my opinion, but PMK will work just fine or even better with a hypo clear treatment. Skip the after bath.

Kirk Gittings
10-Jan-2008, 18:42
Robbie, Is this for the HABS work? We should consult them. They have very particular ideas about pretty much everything in the processing.

Glenn Thoreson
10-Jan-2008, 18:43
Hutchings has rescinded his advice on dunking in the used developer. I never did it anyway. I guess my curiosty makes me ask, why do you say you can't use hypo clear? It's just sodium sulphite, which is part of the PMK anyway, and a little sulfate.

Peter Lewin
11-Jan-2008, 06:54
This is as much a question as a response: since Hutchings recommends a 20-30 minute wash to optimize the stain, is there any reason to think that film washed for that length of time will not be archival, even without hypo clear? In addition, since PMK is self-hardening, I will assume that most (as I) use non-hardening fixer, which washes out more easily in the base case.

domenico Foschi
11-Jan-2008, 10:03
This is as much a question as a response: since Hutchings recommends a 20-30 minute wash to optimize the stain, is there any reason to think that film washed for that length of time will not be archival, even without hypo clear? In addition, since PMK is self-hardening, I will assume that most (as I) use non-hardening fixer, which washes out more easily in the base case.

Correct.
As a side, unrelated note.
Some time ago I mistakenly washed a batch of negatives in hot scolding water, no reticulation appeared, which still puzzles me.

bob carnie
11-Jan-2008, 12:54
Domenico

If you put that film immediately into cold water the emulsion would have reticulated.
Much like placing your gonads in ice cold water, major shrinkage.

Bob

Correct.
As a side, unrelated note.
Some time ago I mistakenly washed a batch of negatives in hot scolding water, no reticulation appeared, which still puzzles me.

Ed Lajoie
22-Mar-2008, 12:12
Hutchings has rescinded his advice on dunking in the used developer. I never did it anyway. I guess my curiosty makes me ask, why do you say you can't use hypo clear? It's just sodium sulphite, which is part of the PMK anyway, and a little sulfate.

Thanks, Glenn. I didn't realize Hutchings had changed this part of the process. It never made much sense to me anyway. I use the T-4 fixer from Photogaphers' Formulary and a Gravity Works washer. This combo, I feel, obviates the need for any hypo clearing agent. What do most of you use for your pre-soak? I've found that a little sodium bisulfate works the best.

Jim MacKenzie
23-Mar-2008, 08:36
Even better: use an alkaline fix and then you don't need a hypo clearing agent.

I use Photographer's Formulary TF-4 with all my films (whether I use PMK or not). I give a 15-minute wash (because I'm paranoid; apparently 5 minutes are enough) and then I'm done.