PDA

View Full Version : blocking wind.

false_Aesthetic
10-Jan-2008, 11:49
Hey,

Now that I've switched to a bigger camera I'm finding that my bellows are catching a decent amount of wind and causing a bit of camera shake on longer exposures (20min+).

I've got the tripod locked down and a bag hanging from the center column but its not enough. I'm thinking I need something to block the wind from hitting the camera itself.

So far I've thought about getting a C-stand and hooking up an umbrella to it. I'm wondering if anyone had figured out something that's a portable and effective wind blocker.

T

Kirk Gittings
10-Jan-2008, 12:01
see this thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=20467

Kevin Crisp
10-Jan-2008, 12:09
I've had good luck with a golf umbrella. When it gets really bad I put the truck (Explorer) into the wind and lift the gate up all the way. Stuffing something under the bellows helps to stiffen it up. If it is still too much wind I think about what else I can do that day.

Ed Richards
10-Jan-2008, 12:38
Unless the bag is resting on the ground, it may be making the movement worse. I also go with the big golf umbrella.

Eric Woodbury
10-Jan-2008, 13:27
A van blocks wind. Sometimes that isn't even enough, as there is turbulence in the wake. If the wind is sporadic and you're exposing for 20 min, then when the camera moves, hold the darkslide in front of the lens until the camera settles.

Daniel_Buck
10-Jan-2008, 14:02
I had a buddy hold a large bounce card just behind the camera, that seemed to help, but in strong winds it's very difficult to hold such a object, since it's essentially a wind sail, haha! I would think a c-stand with an umbrella is asking for trouble, a gust of wind can catch the umbrella with surprising force. I would at least have someone there holding the umbrella on the stand, if you try that route.

something I've thought about, (if the camera is low enough) is to bring a tent along with you, and setup the camera inside the tent. I've never tried this, but from my experiences camping, the tent walls block almost all the wind movement inside the tent. If the camera were setup inside the tent shooting out the zip door, that might work pretty good.

Ed Richards
10-Jan-2008, 14:33
> I would at least have someone there holding the umbrella on the stand, if you try that route.

Absolutely - you have to hold the umbrella, and you better not be too skinny.:-)

Kirk Gittings
10-Jan-2008, 15:58
> I would at least have someone there holding the umbrella on the stand, if you try that route.

Absolutely - you have to hold the umbrella, and you better not be too skinny.:-)

This why I use a Light Disk. I can hold it at a slant so it directs the wind up and over the camera, but is relatively easy to hold since it is not square to the wind. I always have one with me, about an 18" for a 4x5. Also good for lens shade, fill light etc.

Hey its a good thing this thread wasn't called "breaking wind".......