PDA

View Full Version : low "noise" for low $$$$??

windhorse
6-Jan-2008, 08:03
If you were me and wanted to shoot environmental portraits in subdued natural light at 400ASA with a digital system without blowing your life savings where would you start looking?

Aender Brepsom
6-Jan-2008, 08:58
Canon EOS 5D

(but I guess this has nothing to do with LF anymore...)

Alan Davenport
6-Jan-2008, 09:19

Ted Harris
6-Jan-2008, 11:52
First off depends on what you consider blowing your life savings. 5D mentioned above is one option. I think the Fuji Finepix S5 is a better option as it has much lower noise levels IMO and gives you the best skin tone renditions without any work in PS. Of course, for either of these we are talking $1800 to $2500 and don't know if that is in your range.

Kirk Gittings
6-Jan-2008, 14:00
The 5D is considered by many the gold standard for low noise, but frankly 400 ASA is not a stretch these days in terms of noise for any good DSLR, even like a Canon 40D or the newer Nikons. Really by my testing, noise becomes a factor with the 5D at much higher ASAs. I accidentally shot half a job the other day with the 5D at ASA 1200 and thought I would have to redo it. No way. The files looked great. For thought, I haven't tested this, but according to many knowledgeable sources, the good DSLRs do better at high ASAs than medium format digital backs.

jetcode
6-Jan-2008, 14:20
ASAs. I accidentally shot half a job the other day with the 5D at ASA 1200 and thoughbut according to many knowledgeable sources, the good DSLRs do better at high ASAs than medium format digital backs.

I believe this is due to the element (pixel) size for the sensor. The noise floor is lower on a 5D then say a 20D which has smaller elements. This leaves me to believe that the medium format backs you are referring to are larger arrays based on smaller (more noisy) sensor elements.

John Sarsgard
6-Jan-2008, 15:54
I bought a 5d for just this application in mid 2006. It was destroyed in a fire in December 2006. In January 2007 I bought another one. I am very pleased with it. I shoot all the time at 1200-1600, and H (3200) when really necessary. Yes, there is noise, but you'd have to spend lots more to do better. I wouldn't be using it in the middle of a war in a desert or a jungle, but it's very solid and has never disappointed.

Armin Seeholzer
6-Jan-2008, 16:59
Skintones Fuji S 5 handles also more contrast then others in the same price range, noise starts a bit at 1600 ASA!
Good luck, Armin Seeholzer