PDA

View Full Version : (6) 5x7 film holders for $13!!!...but...

Nate Battles
3-Jan-2008, 16:47
I found some film holders on Craigslist (i'm liking it more than eBay everyday), but they need some repair. The tape is coming off or non-existent. Plus some of the dark slides are stuck. BTW, did I mention I got 6 graflex 5x7 film holders for $13 w/ shipping!!!

1) what tape should I use?

2) how should I go about getting them unstuck? Could I soak them in lighter fluid or mineral spirits?

Thank you!!

John Schneider
3-Jan-2008, 17:26
I use bookbinder's or ripstop nylon repair tape. Lighter fluid is a bit too flammable for my tastes; I prefer kerosene, although mineral spirits should also work fine.

Tony Karnezis
3-Jan-2008, 17:30
Nate, I don't know what kind of tape to use, but as for the dark slides, check out these threads:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=22728
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=16849

I had the same problem with my newly-acquired, bargain 5x7 holders. I thoroughly cleaned the dark slides with 409. Then I scrubbed the tracks with a toothbrush, scrubbed the edges of the dark slides really well with a green nylon scouring pad and lubricated the edges and the tracks with Pledge on a Bounce sheet. Even the dark slides that would barely budge now slide with ease.

Tony Karnezis
3-Jan-2008, 18:06
Nate, did you mean that your dark slides won't even come out of the holders? If so, my earlier post is obviously relevant only once you finally remove the dark slides.

vinny
3-Jan-2008, 18:46
calumet sells rolls of film holder hinge tape. do a search

Walter Calahan
3-Jan-2008, 18:59
I order a roll of film holder hinge tape from Calumet nearly a year ago. Still hasn't shown up. Calumet said they are waiting on their supplier.

Get some bookbinders tape.

Nate Battles
4-Jan-2008, 06:10
No, the dark slides won't even come out. They are stuck and won't budge. That's why I was wondering if I could try to soak them (the entire film holder+dark slide) in mineral spirits or something for a while. Thanks for the info on the tape.