View Full Version : (6) 5x7 film holders for $13!!!...but...

Nate Battles
3-Jan-2008, 16:47
I found some film holders on Craigslist (i'm liking it more than eBay everyday), but they need some repair. The tape is coming off or non-existent. Plus some of the dark slides are stuck. BTW, did I mention I got 6 graflex 5x7 film holders for $13 w/ shipping!!!

1) what tape should I use?

2) how should I go about getting them unstuck? Could I soak them in lighter fluid or mineral spirits?

Thank you!!

John Schneider
3-Jan-2008, 17:26
I use bookbinder's or ripstop nylon repair tape. Lighter fluid is a bit too flammable for my tastes; I prefer kerosene, although mineral spirits should also work fine.

Tony Karnezis
3-Jan-2008, 17:30
Nate, I don't know what kind of tape to use, but as for the dark slides, check out these threads:

I had the same problem with my newly-acquired, bargain 5x7 holders. I thoroughly cleaned the dark slides with 409. Then I scrubbed the tracks with a toothbrush, scrubbed the edges of the dark slides really well with a green nylon scouring pad and lubricated the edges and the tracks with Pledge on a Bounce sheet. Even the dark slides that would barely budge now slide with ease.

Tony Karnezis
3-Jan-2008, 18:06
Nate, did you mean that your dark slides won't even come out of the holders? If so, my earlier post is obviously relevant only once you finally remove the dark slides.

3-Jan-2008, 18:46
calumet sells rolls of film holder hinge tape. do a search

Walter Calahan
3-Jan-2008, 18:59
I order a roll of film holder hinge tape from Calumet nearly a year ago. Still hasn't shown up. Calumet said they are waiting on their supplier.

Get some bookbinders tape.

Nate Battles
4-Jan-2008, 06:10
No, the dark slides won't even come out. They are stuck and won't budge. That's why I was wondering if I could try to soak them (the entire film holder+dark slide) in mineral spirits or something for a while. Thanks for the info on the tape.