PDA

View Full Version : Manufacture prices for matboard

Stephen Willard
2-Jan-2008, 23:10
I have recently stumbled upon a company that supplies matboard at manufacturing prices. They manufacture their own matts so you are buying directly from the manufacturer and bypassing the wholesale distributor. You have to buy it by the case of 25 sheets. They carry PH neutral lignin-free material for color photography at very very good prices. With shipping included it is about half of what I pay for buffered acid free matboard and about a third of what I pay form PH neutral materials form a wholesale distributor in Denver. You also get the PH neutral lignin-free matboard in colors which I have never been able to do.

Their website is www.bdmatboard.com

They only sell 4-ply matboard in 32x40 at $2.95/sh or 40x60 at $7.50/sh.

I ordered three sheets of 11x14 sample and made a simple frame. The board is very stiff which makes it easier to handle when cut and making beveled cuts is much easier than the matboard I am currently using. It appears to be very high quality stuff.

My question is there anyone who is using or has used this matboard? Can you comment on your experiences with it? Does it hold up well? Does in warp easily with humidity changes?

Thanks for any consideratins...

domenico Foschi
2-Jan-2008, 23:49
Pity they don't carry 8 ply.
I am curious to know how much did you pay in shipping.
Even if it's 4 ply, still, 25 sheets are pretty heavy.
Does the exposed surface show any texture?
The price is sure great.
I buy at LArson and Juhl and their prices are good as well.
A box of 25 rag 32x40 goes roughly for $7.00 a sheet, I find it convenient because their distribution center is 2 miles from my house, so no need for shipping.
If you buy less then 25 sheets then it will go to about $13.00 a sheet.
The real pain comes when I buy 8 ply at almost $30 a sheet, auch!!

Stephen Willard
3-Jan-2008, 00:08
domenico, are we comparing apples to apples here. Is your stuff PH neutral lignin-free because that stuff is more expensive than buffered acid free matboard. With shipping to my house it cost about $4.11 a sheet compared to $9.35. You can figure out shipping for yourself by placing an order with BD Matboard without actually confirming the order at the end.

I miss quoted the price above. The price I noted above for $2.95 is for buffered board. PH neutral it is $0.50 more, but the $4.11 with shipping includes the additional $0.50.

Stephen Willard
3-Jan-2008, 00:15
One more thing. The sample I have has real fine texture to it which I really like.

domenico Foschi
3-Jan-2008, 00:32
Stephen, to answer to your question I buy Crescent Museum Board in both 4 and 8 ply.
Acid and Lignin free, neutral PH, don't remember the exactly the PH.

Jim Becia
3-Jan-2008, 06:56
I have recently stumbled upon a company that supplies matboard at manufacturing prices. They manufacture their own matts so you are buying directly from the manufacturer and bypassing the wholesale distributor. You have to buy it by the case of 25 sheets. They carry PH neutral lignin-free material for color photography at very very good prices. With shipping included it is about half of what I pay for buffered acid free matboard and about a third of what I pay form PH neutral materials form a wholesale distributor in Denver. You also get the PH neutral lignin-free matboard in colors which I have never been able to do.

Their website is www.bdmatboard.com

They only sell 4-ply matboard in 32x40 at $2.95/sh or 40x60 at $7.50/sh.

I ordered three sheets of 11x14 sample and made a simple frame. The board is very stiff which makes it easier to handle when cut and making beveled cuts is much easier than the matboard I am currently using. It appears to be very high quality stuff.

My question is there anyone who is using or has used this matboard? Can you comment on your experiences with it? Does it hold up well? Does in warp easily with humidity changes?

Thanks for any consideratins...

As a frame shop owner of nearly 16 years, I am going to guess that these mats are not the quality that you might think. These are what I call basically a paper mat that is buffered. Over time the cover sheet (if it's a color other than white) will fade and discolor. The bevel cut will also discolor and darken, and there is the possibility of staining from the mat. Mats of the caliber of Bainbridge Artcare, Bainbridge Rag, Crescent Rag, Artique (Larson Julh's own brand) are head and shoulders in quailty above this paper mat. I have reframed many a piece of art where I had to replace acid free paper mats because of fading and discoloration. I have been using the Artique line for the past several years for my photographs and have been pleased. If you have an account with LJ, the mats run about $5.50/sheet. I happen to use a white that is nice and smooth and have been very happy with it. I don't think that warping would be much different in mats, any mat will warp under the right (or wrong) circumstances. Jim

BDmatboard
3-Jan-2008, 15:16
Hello,

We here at BDmatboard would like to establish who we are, and what we do.

BDmatboard sheets are made in the U.S.A. from the highest quality pH neutral, buffered paperboard core, and 100% recycled-content facing papers to produce an excellent quality paper mat product.

BDmatboard Whitecore sheets are pH neutral, buffered and lignin-free.

BDmatboard manufactures a solid, full 4-ply sheet of matboard that cuts easily and cleanly for professionals.

A wide variety of colors and textures are available to fit the decorative needs of many framing projects.

If you would like to know more, please email us at info@bdmatboard.com

Also, good until 1/31/08 is 15% off any order when code # jcou15 is used!

:D

Glenn Thoreson
4-Jan-2008, 18:05
Woohoo! Pre-cut mats for us small volume users out here in the sticks, where we can't buy anything. At a reasonable cost, too. :D

Doug Dolde
20-Aug-2009, 13:52
Frame Destination has pretty good pricing on precut mats. I like their 8 ply Bainbridge Alpharag precuts, lots of appropriate sizes.

http://www.framedestination.com/