PDA

View Full Version : Is there a simple meter for safe light measurement

otzi
2-Jan-2008, 22:27
Is there a meter of some sort that enables one to measure the frequency of a light to determine it's suitability for safe light use? Both for film and IR. Reading in a measurement that corresponds with film information.

To help with Jerry built lighting and reduce testing. For instance, to help identify the narrow band of green for inspection development.

If not, can a meter be built simply? And is there a light with dialable colour for various needs.

rippo
2-Jan-2008, 22:43
if i recall correctly, the 'narrow band of green' is not a frequency that film is less sensitive to. film likes green pretty well, at least the ortho or pan types. rather, our eyes are more sensitive to green, which means the film gets less exposure because we don't need as much light to check a negative as we would with some other color.

rather than getting some expensive color meter, wouldn't it be easier (and cheaper) just to do a ten minute fog test?

otzi
3-Jan-2008, 06:20
Of Course, but with todays technology I wondered why something as simple as a frequency meter couldn't be made.

Nick_3536
3-Jan-2008, 09:22
I'd get a cheap used color analyzer. It won't directly related to your film info but buy some Rosco filters at the right wavelength and use that to set things up.

Kirk Gittings
3-Jan-2008, 09:29
Why bother? Isn't this an exercise in taking a simple, cheap, quick and extremely accurate test (fog test) and making it more complex and expensive? Even if a meter could tell you the frequency would it tell you anything about the length of time or intensity that exposure to the light is safe?

Mark_S
3-Jan-2008, 11:10
Here is my method:

Go into the darkroom and turn on the safelights, and take out some of the material that you are concerned about, then place the paper on the easel or a countertop, put a coin on the paper, and go have a small cup of tea (I have found that beer also works). Come back about 10 mins after you have put the paper on the counter, and develop it and see if you can see the outline of the coin on the paper. If so, your safe light isn't, if no then the safe light is safe.

If you feel obliged to use a meter, then you can use a light meter in place of the coin, laying it on a sheet of your paper while you have your beer, however I have always found coins to be just as effective, less expensive and easier to find.

otzi
4-Jan-2008, 04:15
The intention was more to tailor a tight to the film rather than the other way. We are all too aware of safe light testing. I wasn't seeking to test but rather determine quickly if a given light source is suitable. Maybe not located in the darkroom. Even when buying a bulb a determination could be made prior to purchase.If plugged in that is.

Otherwise, yes the concept would be am exercise in duplication.