PDA

View Full Version : New at LF.. Lens shutter speed ?

Eamonn Doyle
2-Jan-2008, 08:29
I bought an old Raptar 302mm f4.5 lens for my 10x8 camera. The fastest shutter speed is 1/50 sec .. is this normal or is it common to get faster shutter speeds on lenses like these ? I'm worried the shutter won't be fast enough for portrait work. Thanks !! Eamonn / Dublin

Nick_3536
2-Jan-2008, 09:07
If you're using a flash then it won't matter.

Big shutters are slow. Even a modern 3 shutter would only get you 1/125th and that wouldn't get you F/4.5

lenser
2-Jan-2008, 09:19
As Nick says, with electronic flash, it doesn't matter since they fire for only thousandths of a second. It would only be an issue if you are "dragging the shutter" to also record ambient light as well as the flash. Just prepare your subject to stay still after the flash goes off.

Don't forget that in the beginning, a subject had to sit still for several minutes...yes minutes for enough light to record on the daguerotype, ambrotype, tin type and other extremely slow processes. Admittedly, they were actually clamped into position so they couldn't move.

Having someone in place for even two or three seconds isn't impossible if you pose them where they are comfortable and braced against a wall, arms folded on a table, fully reclined on a couch, etc.

Most of the time, you'll be shooting at a much faster speed, say around 1/4 to 1/30 second, and that is quite easy for someone to hold a pose in those ranges. Just let them know you are about to shoot so they can relax into the pose and be ready for you.

Good luck.

Tim

Brook Martin
2-Jan-2008, 09:40
You will probably have more trouble keeping the subject in focus due to the shallow depth of field than anything related to shutter speeds shorter that say a 1/10th of a second if you are shooting wide open and at portrait distances w/ a 12" lens. Practice will make perfect!

Eamonn Doyle
2-Jan-2008, 10:33
Thanks very much for the advice everyone .. Would anyone be able to tell me how to sync my flash units up to a lens like that [Raptar 302mm].. it has X any M settings.. with only one connection which I presumed was for a cable shutter trigger ?
Thanks again for your help !!
Eamonn

Nick_3536
2-Jan-2008, 10:45
X is modern flash
M is bulb.

lenser
2-Jan-2008, 10:49
X is for electronic flash, M is for flash bulbs. Depending on the shutter, there are several different flash sync cord types to fit the sync post of posts. If you can post a detailed photo of the shutter(specifically of the sync post), that would help to determine what you need.

Eamonn Doyle
2-Jan-2008, 13:51

Hi Tim.. I've attached a pic for you. Hope you have the right detail there? Any thoughts ? There's only one connection there so I'm presuming that's the sync post ?
Thanks !
Eamonn

jss
2-Jan-2008, 14:02
eamonn,

the two pins are the sync connection called a bi-post. to use a modern flash you will need an adapter cable. the most common is by paramount cords. if you go to their site, you will see their #13 on the third row. that end will go to your shutter. the other end of the cord will need to be compatible with your flash. your local camera shop may have such cords.

the second picture is for the cable release.

http://www.paramountcords.com/synccords.asp

Eamonn Doyle
2-Jan-2008, 14:39
Thanks a million for that Tim.. Much appreciated !
Eamonn

Toyon
2-Jan-2008, 15:13
It's very unlikely you'll get 1/50 from your shutter. 1/20 - 1/30 is more likely.

lenser
2-Jan-2008, 15:43
Hi, again Eamonn. JSS has it exactly right. The bi-post arrangement in the farther shot is the sync system and requires a special cord. Those posts are electrical contacts and they look corroded, so a bit of careful cleaning may be needed to insure contact. Use a light abrasive such as emery paper, not anything liquid. I have two older lenses with similar shutters and have found that the posts seem to be polarized...that is, the cord only works properly when oriented in one direction. You may need to try it both ways to determine which is the correct direction. Or, then again, my shutters may just be eccentric.

The threaded post is for the cable release and looks to be threaded on the inside so it will likely take a modern cable release. It may take a "long throw" type of release, meaning that the plunger pin needs to be a long one in order to strike the release lever inside the shutter.

You might find the special sync cord through Calumet. They would also have the pro style release that you want.

If you need servicing on the shutter, you might look at Carol Miller at www.lutot'scamerarepair.com. She does a terrific CLA for very reasonable money and will send back a chart comparing the listed speeds against the actual achieved speeds so you can be more precise in your exposures. I can't say enough good things about the work she has done on several of my lenses.

Carol's site also has some awesome links to find products and services for modern and vintage equipment. If you have trouble finding the sync cord or cable releases, chances are someone in her links list will be able to help.

Happy shooting.

Tim

lenser
2-Jan-2008, 15:44
Missspelling on the site....it'swww.flutot'scamerarepair.com.

Sorry

Bob Gentile
2-Jan-2008, 22:05
"... If you need servicing on the shutter... Carol Miller... does a terrific CLA for very reasonable money and will send back a chart comparing the listed speeds against the actual achieved speeds so you can be more precise in your exposures. I can't say enough good things about the work she has done on several of my lenses..."
Word up! She's competent, thorough, honest, and one helluva human being on top of all that. The world could sure use more people like Carol.

lenser
2-Jan-2008, 22:43
Ditto squared, Bob!!!!!!!

Eamonn Doyle
3-Jan-2008, 13:05
Thanks again everyone.. I got the cord for the shutter and ordered the bi post lead from paramount today !
Is it common that I'll have a problem with my shutter speeds then .. as Toyon is suggesting... "It's very unlikely you'll get 1/50 from your shutter. 1/20 - 1/30 is more likely."
Thanks again..
Eamonn

BrianShaw
3-Jan-2008, 13:17
Missspelling on the site....it'swww.flutot'scamerarepair.com.

Sorry

no apostrophe!

lenser
3-Jan-2008, 16:52
Sorry, Brian. My little finger just likes to hit that apostrophe key. Nasty habit. I guess I'm too possessive (groan!!!!).

Eamonn,

Older and larger shutters have a tendency to "relax" their spring tension over the years. It seems the bigger the shutter, the more this happens. That's why a great CLA person like Carol is so valuable. You need to consider establishing what the actual speeds are now by the use of a shutter speed tester and if they are too far off, have the CLA done so you know how reliable the shutter is.

I've bought some older lenses where the same speed varies all over the map when tested several times and became stable if not dead on the marked time, once the CLA was completed. This is due to the tension relaxing, gummy lubricants (from age) and dirt. All cured by Carol or another CLA service.

Tim

Bob Gentile
4-Jan-2008, 12:02
"... My little finger just likes to hit that apostrophe key. Nasty habit. I guess I'm too possessive (groan!!!!)..."
Ouch!