PDA

View Full Version : RRS plate with Arca Swiss QR clamp

Songyun
1-Jan-2008, 18:52
I just got an L bracket(RRS) for my D200, but I can only lock it half way on the QR clamp. Does anyone have same problem? I don't want to adjust the QR clamp as my Arca rail is locked very well with the QR clamp.

vinny
1-Jan-2008, 21:18
I use an RRS plate for my 67II and generic plates for everything else. Sometimes adjustments to the knurled wheel on my flip lock release needs to be tightened but never loosened. Maybe it's because your analog gear doesn't like........

Songyun
1-Jan-2008, 22:05
Maybe it's because your analog gear doesn't like........
:D :D :D

Brian Ellis
1-Jan-2008, 22:18
I have the RRS L bracket on my Canon 5D digital camera and use it with my RRS ball head that has an Arca style clamp rather than the RRS clamp. It works fine. I don't know if this explains your problem or not but FWIW when I ordered the RRS ball head to use with my digital camera I was told that the RRS clamp isn't compatible with Arca plates, which is why I ended up with the Arca style clamp instead of the RRS clamp on my RRS ball head. If you don't get an answer here I'd suggest calling RRS. They've always been very helpful when I've called.

Songyun
4-Jan-2008, 11:41
Thanks Brain, I will call them next week.

FpJohn
5-Jan-2008, 17:36
The knob/screw clamps are universal should you choose to use one. 'not as convenient of course.

yours
Frank

Songyun
8-Jan-2008, 16:14
By the way, Did anyone try Kirk QR plate? How does Kirk plate fit with Arca QR clamp?

Songyun
9-Jan-2008, 09:35
Called both RRS and Kirk a moment ago, the answer is adjust the dial on the clamp. :(
My quick release plate from China fits perfectly though.

Songyun
19-Jan-2008, 21:26
use a photo of my friend, it shows that the RRS plate is just a little bit thick.
Anyone has similar experience with Kirk plate? I am looking for a long QR plate, like the kirk's, but I just hesitate to buy one now.

Jeff Keller
22-Jan-2008, 10:06
I use a RRS lever clamp and have found that most but not all Kirk QR plates work fine with it. The one which didn't was too loose (I believe it was an LP67). Strangely I also had one RRS QR plate which was too loose. A no-name generic QR plate was too wide.

By the way, Did anyone try Kirk QR plate? How does Kirk plate fit with Arca QR clamp?

james zhou
30-Jan-2008, 19:47
RRS plates are a bit wider than arca swiss plates. Their clamp is designed to lock RRS plate. So you can use RRS on an arca head, but not the other way around. I brought the expensive camera rotating devise just released from RRS, and found out that I have to use RRS plates with their clamps. If I use an Arca plate, it WILL NOT LOCK TIGHT!

Songyun
30-Jan-2008, 20:49
RRS plates are a bit wider than arca swiss plates. Their clamp is designed to lock RRS plate. So you can use RRS on an arca head, but not the other way around. I brought the expensive camera rotating devise just released from RRS, and found out that I have to use RRS plates with their clamps. If I use an Arca plate, it WILL NOT LOCK TIGHT!
I found this is very sad, the original arca type clamp is like linux, open source. That is one of the advantage of this system. Now everyone is trying to put their mark on the system. This system is losing advantage now.

David A. Goldfarb
30-Jan-2008, 20:56
RRS says on their website that lever lock clamps aren't recommended for Arca-Swiss cameras, and I suspect that goes as well for A-S plates. Screw-lock clamps should lock tight with any plate.

gregstidham
31-Jan-2008, 06:42
I have a RRS plate for my Linhof Technika IV. It doesn't mate up perfectly with my Acratech head, but my Arca-Swiss plate fits the Acratech head wonderfully. I wish I had read the fine print about RRS plates.

mdd99
20-Feb-2008, 19:29
I've had several RRS and Kirk Arca-style clamps, and they've all fit snugly. Make sure there's a return privilege in case they don't fit well.