PDA

View Full Version : Sending to lab for print

Ben R
31-Dec-2007, 08:04
When I'm sending B&W files for print is there any advantage to keeping them in 16 bit and RGB mode? I'm sending by email and the sizes are big, 80 meg plus.

Ralph Barker
31-Dec-2007, 10:16
I'd suggest talking to the printer regarding their preferred format. Also, check to see if they have FTP access. Many e-mail servers choke/reject files of that size.

Lenny Eiger
3-Jan-2008, 17:24
When I'm sending B&W files for print is there any advantage to keeping them in 16 bit and RGB mode? I'm sending by email and the sizes are big, 80 meg plus.

80 megs is a tiny file. Shouldn't give anyone any trouble. Email isn't the right way, however, ftp is. There are inexpensive and free email clients. I would suggest going to versiontracker.com, type in ftp in the search box for your platform and pick one that looks good.

You only need 16 bit if they are going to do modifications. If they are printing your file straight out, then it doesn't matter.

I would also hope you wouldn't send b&w to a lab, unless they really know what they are doing. There are a number of top printers, some of them right on this forum (yes, myself included), that can do wonderful b&w printing, with real b&w inks, vs color inks. It's not the same...

Lenny
EigerStudios