PDA

View Full Version : A Christmas Gift

Merg Ross
23-Dec-2007, 09:46
As the season for gifting is upon us, I often recall a Christmas past. It was 1954 and my special gift was a brand new 4x5 Agfa film holder. I was thirteen years old. The gift complemented the five used holders that my father had procured for me from Brooks Camera store in San Francisco. Now I had the opportunity to expose a dozen sheets of film!

The day after Christmas that year, as we did for several years, my dad, his pal Brett Weston, and I headed over the Sierra to photograph and camp along the eastern slope. A dozen sheets of film and a seven day trip; I became very selective, a lesson that has served me well to this day. All done in anticipation of returning home to make contact prints on Varigam paper.

So, perhaps there are some fortunate thirteen year olds who will receive a new 4x5 film holder this season. I wonder.

Wishing all of you the best of holidays and a healthy and productive 2008!

Merg

PViapiano
23-Dec-2007, 10:16
Merg...

Wonderful story...in this new world of 1,000s of images on a single card, it would benefit young photographers so much to understand that quality and singularity of vision matters more than vulgar quantity.

To be a photographer is to enjoy, engage and be in the world firstly, and then to express one's feelings about that world through your art.

Have a happy holiday!

Martin Miller
23-Dec-2007, 10:17
What a great story! Thanks for sharing it.

Happy Holidays!

David Karp
23-Dec-2007, 10:46
Great story. Please keep them coming.

Brian Ellis
23-Dec-2007, 12:18
Thanks Merg, that's a great story. Today the gift is more likely a flash card than a film holder but that's fine, the world moves on and the kid who gets the flash card may end up being just as inspired to make great photographs as you were. Hope you have a Merry Christmas.

billschwab
23-Dec-2007, 12:23
I love hearing stories like this. Please do tell more of those trips!

Best to you, Bill

Ralph Barker
23-Dec-2007, 12:23
What?! No illustration with a scan of one of those wonderful 1954 negatives? ;)

Seriously, Merg, great story, and one with a great underlying message.

Rick Moore
23-Dec-2007, 12:37
Please keep sharing your memories with us. You have a very special perspective on a time that fascinates many of us.

David Karp
23-Dec-2007, 12:51
Merg,

How many sheets did your Dad and Brett expose during that trip? (If you paid any attention!)

Merg Ross
23-Dec-2007, 13:14
Dave, this was a car trip, or I should say a pickup truck trip. Most often we were in Brett's truck with a camper shell and usualy half frozen. As weight and bulk were of little concern, there was room for plenty of holders. Dad and Brett each had at least 50 8x10 holders and a typical day was 12 to 15 exposures. Brett sometimes supplemented his black and white shooting with a few Ektachrome shots, with the hope of a commercial sale. He was never excited with the color though, and called it Ektacrap.

Thanks for asking, better stop before I am overcome with nostalgia!

Eric Biggerstaff
23-Dec-2007, 13:34
Merg,

As always, thank you for the story, I always enjoy them.

Hope you and your family have a very merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Eric

PaulRicciardi
23-Dec-2007, 13:39
What a great story! I can relate, at 18 years old I take 2 film holders with me, so 4 shots. I'm probably going to add another 6 or so but I'm waiting til after the holidays to see if maybe one or two shows up.

Capocheny
23-Dec-2007, 15:04
Hi Merg,

Wonderful... it's always good to read a heartwarming story! :)

Have a wonderful holiday season and all the best to you and your family in 2008.

Cheers

John Kasaian
23-Dec-2007, 15:10
What a great story! Thank you Merg, and a merry Cristmas to you and your family!

tim810
23-Dec-2007, 21:33
I just picked up 2 more holders for my 810 last Friday bringing my total up to 8. This week I am going to NY City to take some photos and am excited to have 16 possible shots, although I am extremely picky and enjoy waiting for exactly what I want. This is one of the main reasons I use 810. Having that patience to wait for an image that you want rather than sifting through 100 disappointments to get what you want is much more rewarding.

Anyway, thank you for the great story. I hope someday to give my child the opportunity to learn patience in this manner.

Merry Christmas
Tim

Merg Ross
24-Dec-2007, 22:04
Thank you for the kind sentiments, and best wishes to all of you for 2008.

As an aside, I have just returned home from visiting my old friend, a chemist and photographer, who made Amidol for Brett Weston. That is a story for another time.

All best,
Merg

David Karp
24-Dec-2007, 22:27
Don't wait too long. I really enjoy these stories.

Merry Christmas.

Bill_1856
25-Dec-2007, 07:35
I Googled Merg Ross photographs, but didn't come up with anything. Where would I find your work on line?

Merg Ross
25-Dec-2007, 08:41
Bill, I plan to launch my website in January, after years of coaxing. My daughter is working on it. I will post here when it is up. Thanks.

Luca Merlo
25-Dec-2007, 11:20
Ciao Merg. A wonderful story. I believe you have many things to tell us and I hope the site will be up and running very soon so we can read some more stories. I wish you and your family a happy 2008. Ciao from Italy