PDA

View Full Version : Lee-style IR-cut filter?

Matt Blaze
15-Dec-2007, 23:38
I recently got a BetterLight scanning back, which I'm still just getting the hang of using in the studio and in the field. The sensor is very IR sensitive, and so requires the use of an IR-cut filter. BetterLight includes a pair of 3x3 glass filters with the back for this purpose.

Does anyone know of a (preferably reasonably priced) source for a 4x4 (Lee compatible) IR-cut filter suitable for use on the front of the lens? I've sometimes found mounting the 3x3 glass filter to the back of the lens with rubber bands to be a bit awkward, especially in the field and extra-especially if I want to remove it to shoot with film for the same shot. I'd like to have the option of putting the IR-cut filter on the front of the lens in a Lee slot.

Lee doesn't seem to make one and the usual suppliers (B&H, etc) don't appear to have anything suitable.

Thanks

-matt

Gene McCluney
16-Dec-2007, 08:51
I recently got a BetterLight scanning back, which I'm still just getting the hang of using in the studio and in the field. The sensor is very IR sensitive, and so requires the use of an IR-cut filter. BetterLight includes a pair of 3x3 glass filters with the back for this purpose.

Does anyone know of a (preferably reasonably priced) source for a 4x4 (Lee compatible) IR-cut filter suitable for use on the front of the lens? I've sometimes found mounting the 3x3 glass filter to the back of the lens with rubber bands to be a bit awkward, especially in the field and extra-especially if I want to remove it to shoot with film for the same shot. I'd like to have the option of putting the IR-cut filter on the front of the lens in a Lee slot.

Lee doesn't seem to make one and the usual suppliers (B&H, etc) don't appear to have anything suitable.

Thanks

-matt

Betterlight is a very customer friendly small company. I would suggest calling them. I am sure they know of all the IR-cut filters available suitable for their backs.

ostreet
16-Dec-2007, 09:25
Betterlight lists 4x4 as well as 77mm screw-in filters for sale on their website. Check the "Accessories" section. Also, if you haven't already joined the Betterlight user forum you should do so. There is a lot of information and helpful advice there.

Eric

Matt Blaze
16-Dec-2007, 10:49
Ah, indeed they do! I feel very dumb for not noticing that. It didn't occur to me to look under "replacement parts", since I never had a 4x4 filter to begin with.

I'll call them next week, but let me ask here as well: has anyone here used their 4x4 2mm filter in a Lee holder?

Thanks

-matt

ostreet
16-Dec-2007, 12:15
Apparently, some have successfully used the Lee Gel-Snap filter holder to hold the 2mm Daylight filter. Others have used custom made DIY filter holders. There was some talk about interested Betterlight owners getting together to have a custom filter holder manufactured, but I'm not sure what came of it. I think a Lee filter holder should be fairly easy to modify to accept the IR filters if the fit is a little too tight, but haven't attempted it yet. I use the Betterlight exclusively in the studio for art repro and use a rubberband with a bit of tape to secure my filters. Someone on the forum suggested a filter holder he found at Calumet (item # XB6550). Of course, there is always the option to use the screw-in filters. On the bright side, the screw-in filters are half the price of the 4x4s!

Eric