PDA

View Full Version : Gossen Sinar Six

Northwest
14-Dec-2007, 02:26
Does anyone know much about the Sinar Six? They were designed to use a PX625 mercury oxide battery, which is no longer available. There are a number of modern alternatives, some of which (e.g. the alkaline PX625) won't work satisfactorily.

I emailed Gossen twice, but they didn't bother to respond.

Does anyone know of a battery that will work?
Has anyone used a silver oxide replacement for the PX625?
Is the WeinCell MRB625 the best option?

If anyone has any experience with the Sinar Six and a replacement battery (especially the WeinCell), I'd appreciate any information you have.

Martin Miksch
14-Dec-2007, 06:17
I dont know the Sinar Six, but I have an old LunasixIII and I ordered an adapter from Gossen, modern batteries fit now and there is some diode or other elecronical stuff inside to bring the voltage to the proper level.
Regards
Martin

Gene McCluney
14-Dec-2007, 08:59
Does anyone know much about the Sinar Six? They were designed to use a PX625 mercury oxide battery, which is no longer available. There are a number of modern alternatives, some of which (e.g. the alkaline PX625) won't work satisfactorily.

I emailed Gossen twice, but they didn't bother to respond.

Does anyone know of a battery that will work?
Has anyone used a silver oxide replacement for the PX625?
Is the WeinCell MRB625 the best option?

If anyone has any experience with the Sinar Six and a replacement battery (especially the WeinCell), I'd appreciate any information you have.

If you are wanting a battery that fits and works with exactly the same voltage as the meter was designed for, the WeinCell is your only choice, unless you want to try and fit hearing aid batteries (which use the same battery as the WeinCell but are smaller and will not be a snug fit.)

venchka
14-Dec-2007, 09:26
Wein cells work in my Gossen Luna-Pro. They last about a year, most of that time sitting in my bag.

Michael Graves
14-Dec-2007, 10:26
Freestyle sells the Varta with the correct voltage. I just purchased a set for my Gossen Luna Pro, that I use as a back up meter.

Northwest
14-Dec-2007, 15:33
Thanks everyone for the information.

Martin, did you order the adapter from Gossen in Europe or through Bogen? How much was it?

I had heard about the adapter, but as I said, I couldn't get Gossen (Eur) to respond.

venchka
14-Dec-2007, 15:55
Try B&H in New York. Last I heard they had it in stock.

CG
14-Dec-2007, 16:27
You might contact:

Quality Light Metric Co.
7095 Hollywood Blvd. No. 550
Hollywood
CA 90028

Tel: 323 467 2265
Fax: 323 467 2284

I keep reading very positive info on them. Evidently they are top of the heap in light meter repair and calibration. Maybe they might know whats best for a SinarSix.

C

Martin Miksch
14-Dec-2007, 17:21
I got it here in Europe from a reseller, price was about 30 or 40 bucks, new batterie included^^
Regards
Martin

Northwest
18-Dec-2007, 15:36
Martin, CG, and Venchka:

Once again, thanks to everyone for their input.

Venchka, I checked B&H and they do indeed have an adapter, but it doesn't fit the Sinar Six. The SS I have only takes a single battery, and the adapter is too deep to fit in the meter. A single PX625 fits perfectly. So...

CG. Thanks for the tip about Quality Light Metric. I contacted them and the person I spoke to was very nice and eager to help, but I'm afraid the Sinar Six is a little too old and uncommon.

Martin, B&H carries the adapter ($36.95), but as I said above it doesn't work with the SS. For anyone who has a Gossen meter that will take the adapter, it is available in the States. B&H has it in stock.

The answer appears to be the WeinCell MRB625 (about $4.50). It's worth a try.

Daniel Unkefer
18-Dec-2007, 18:16
I have a European 4x5 Norma Sinarsix w/4x5 Meter Cassette, which "split" into two pieces, and now needs a more permanent battery solution. Since it's already "open" (I used it for five years, held together with Lowell Gaffer Tape) I have eight of the "Schotky" Diodes from ebay which squelch the voltage down to the requisite 1.35V. All I need do, is solder the sucker in there, and then recover the outer casing with tape, including attaching the meter to the meter cassette, and I'm good to go for a while :)

Northwest
18-Dec-2007, 19:20
Daniel -- the WeinCell is reputed to work and its voltage is 1.35V.
http://www.weincell.com/

venchka
19-Dec-2007, 07:35
The Wein Cells are working fine for me in a Luna-Pro and a Canonet QL17. In a few years, when my stash of PX625 cells run out, I will find out if they work fine in my Leica bodies.

Good luck.

Frank R
19-Dec-2007, 07:55
I sent a Sinar Six to Quality Light and Metric a couple years ago because it did not function at all. They gave me a free estimate.

It turns out a replacement cell was no longer available, so they chose not to repair it.

Very nice people.

Bob Salomon
19-Dec-2007, 07:58
Why not ask Sinar - the company that actually sold it?

Daniel.E
23-Dec-2015, 10:32
Has anybody tried the WeinCell MRB625? I got a Sinar Six and really would like to use it.

plaubel
23-Dec-2015, 11:25
Next time I try to recharge my Gossen quicksilver batterie, because every normal batterie like Mignon AAA is rechargeable,even twice, but I don't know what will happen to the Mallory...