PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Ft. Collins

Norm Buchanan
12-Dec-2007, 12:02
Hope this is the right category for my post. My wife and I are taking positions at CSU in Ft. Collins this spring and I am looking to get my photography resources in line for when we arrive. While I can hardly wait to get into the beautiful western landscape, I will miss many of the resources that the Chicago area has to offer. I guess what I am looking for are camera shops that deal in MF/LF gear, new and used, and possibly a local lab for handling my transparency developing (35mm-4x5). I figure for paper/ink/film/chemistry I will use online resources but I am always nervous about shipping film for developing.

I would also really like to take some courses/classes or attend some workshops on things like portraiture, lighting, printing, etcetera. Lastly I would be very interested in any local LF groups or outings in the area so I can meet some people who share my passion.

Thanks,
N.

davidb
12-Dec-2007, 12:07
Hey Norm,
my sister in law used to live there. It is a great town. Downtown is a wonderful place. You might check in at the Center for Fine Art Photography (http://www.c4fap.org/) as they might lead you to a LF group.

I spent a lot of time up there and there is much to photograph. Especially with fresh eyes. I am unaware of any decent photo shops so you might have to rely on mail order.

It is a great place. My wife and I thought about moving there as well.

steve simmons
12-Dec-2007, 12:55
Here is something that might interest you

http://foto3-2008.info

Right in Ft. Collins and addresses many of your concerns.

steve simmons

Keith Pitman
12-Dec-2007, 15:14
I don't know that you'll find much in photo stores or labs in Ft. Collins, but Reed Photo in Denver and Photocraft in Boulder (http://pcraft.com) are good for lab work. There really are not any stores that stock large format gear in Denver, although a few occasionally have used items. You'll do better shopping on line and via mail order. For area galleries, get a copy of Artscape. There are some good photo galleries in the Denver area, as well as the Center in Ft. Collins.

John Kasaian
12-Dec-2007, 16:22
Richard Boulware is a fine LF photographer out of Denver who has posted here in the past. Like many accomplished 'togs who have "made it" he is a real gentleman and generous with his knowlege--you might want to look him up as I'm sure he'd be familiar with what's available in CO.

Rich Long
30-Dec-2007, 14:51
Norm, there at least a half-dozen Colorado LF photographers active over at the Rocky Mountain section of NaturePhotographers.net. If you happen to be in the area on January 19, the group is having an annual get-together in Denver that evening. Come join us!

Norm Buchanan
30-Dec-2007, 16:06
Norm, there at least a half-dozen Colorado LF photographers active over at the Rocky Mountain section of NaturePhotographers.net. If you happen to be in the area on January 19, the group is having an annual get-together in Denver that evening. Come join us!

Thanks for the invite Rich! Unfortunately I won't be getting to Colorado until late February. I'd definitely love to meet up with members of the group at a later date though.

Thanks again,
N.

Ted Harris
30-Dec-2007, 18:29
CSU itself has well equipped facilities and some strong photo offerings. We will be using their darkroom facilities for some of the Foto3 Workshops and their students will be assisting at the Conference. Gary Hubergeste is the Chair of the Photography Department, look him up.

Glenn Thoreson
30-Dec-2007, 21:37
You won't have far to go to attend the Foto3 conference. Lucky you. Collins used to be a really nice town. I imagine it still is. Enjoy!

Stephen Willard
31-Dec-2007, 22:58
I live in Fort Collins, and it is a great town. The downtown section called "old town" is amazing, but it is very pricey to live in or near there. There is no photo shops to speak of. I either get my LF supplies and gear on line, Denver Pro Photo, or ABC Moulding in Denver. The later two will deliver to your door in Fort Collins.

I develope my own LF film so I cannot recommend a place for LF film processing, but I believe Fineprint in Fort Collins will develop your 4x5 film for you. They are a national lab and are used by many professionals throughout the country. For your 35mm and MF film I highly recommend Photo Imagecenter. They do amazing work for those formats. They go to great efforts to insure there equipment and chemistry is properly calibrated.

The Center for Fine Art Photography is primarily a contemporary artsy digital haunt. So if your into digital and that stuff then that is the place for you.

There are a tons of wilderness areas just west of Fort Collins including RMNP with foothills, subalpine, and alpine ecosystems to photograph if that is your thing. To the north and east there is the high plains as well. The geography here is very diverse for landscapes. If you like cityscapes then there is Denver and Fort Collins to a lesser extent.

There is a llama farm 10 miles west of Fort Collins that rents packing/trekking llamas for carrying camping gear and camera equipment into the backcountry. I rent the same two llamas every year for the entire season from them to pack cameras, film, food, and camping gear into the Colorado Mountains. Last summer we (my llamas and I) spent 50 consecutive days in the backcountry together. We had lots of fun, but also lots of work.

Well I hope that helps, and I do welcome you to Fort Collins. I do not believe you will regret moving here.

Norm Buchanan
1-Jan-2008, 08:34
Thanks Stephen and all who have given so much information. I can hardly wait to get there!

mrladewig
2-Jan-2008, 16:46
There are plenty of places nearby for developing in Denver/Boulder. You might talk with Brent Doerzman at Qube Visual. He shoots large format and is a very pleasant individual to speak with. I've had Qube do some development work for me and have been happy with the results. BTW, Qube is hosting the NPN - RMNP shindig on the 19th, which I'll also be attending.

Denver Pro Photo is the only shop I've heard of for LF gear. I've ordered my stuff from Badger or B&H, though I can get film in Colorado Springs from a couple places.

Mel-

Les De Moss
4-May-2009, 14:04
DigiGraphics is a full service professional lab in Fort Collins. We work extensively with the instructors, professors and students enrolled in CSU's photography program. We are 1/2 mile south of the campus.

We are the only lab north of Denver running rack & tank processes for E6, C41 and E6 up to 8x10" sheet sizes. Our client base is nationwide.

Visit our website for more information: www.digi-graphics.com. or call us at 970.482.8595.

Welcome to Fort Collins!

Les De Moss
Founder
DigiGraphics
Established 1977

Les De Moss
4-May-2009, 14:06
Correction: E6, C41 and BW films up to 8x10"