PDA

View Full Version : Robert Turner's lens?

Michal Makowski
8-Dec-2007, 01:50
I have spotted Robert Turner's picture on his website. I think it is rodenstock lens, but I wonder which one?
Michal

http://www.robertturnerphoto.com/bio.htm

Ted Harris
8-Dec-2007, 06:42
You can click on the picture to enlarge it. The enlarged picture shows a red stripe meaning it is a Sironar-S lens. The camera is a Toyo AII/X so fromt he size of the front element relative to the lens board and the camera it is likely either a 240-300-360 "S" lens. You'd have to be able to read the side of the lens to tell more as they look pretty close in pictures.

Michal Makowski
8-Dec-2007, 14:25
I have watched enlarged version. I know it has to be no. 3 shutter. 360 is to long for Toyo AX/AII. So the choice is between 240 and 300. Am I right?

Oren Grad
8-Dec-2007, 15:40
Taking into account the limited bellows extension of the camera on the one hand, and the apparent diameter of the lens relative to the Toyo lensboard on the other, I'd guess that it's the 300 Apo-Sironar-S.

Ted Harris
8-Dec-2007, 17:38
My bad! Not thinking this am when I added in the 360. Another look at the picture and I'll vote for the 300 as well since he has the rear extension pretty far or all the way out

Ron Bose
8-Dec-2007, 17:46
Guys,
Bear in mind, that this photograph was set up to be a portrait for his profile.

It doesn't have to be a 'legal' set up.

I've seen so called action shots of 1930's studio photographers in the throes of a star-shoot. The camera set up would have been impossible with the lighting, bellows draw and distance from the subject.

;-)

Sheldon N
8-Dec-2007, 21:28
Maybe he just rented the lens to get his picture taken with it, then secretly went back to shooting with something lighter. :)

Frank Petronio
8-Dec-2007, 23:46
Why does anyone care?

Kirk Gittings
8-Dec-2007, 23:51
Nice shirt. I want to know who's his tailor?

Bill_1856
9-Dec-2007, 08:13
Looks like a MICHAEL FATALI wannabee to me. Wonder if they use the same printer to do all the real work for them while they flit from one oversaturated shoot to the next? (Wink wink, nod nod!)

Michal Makowski
9-Dec-2007, 15:16
And off course he said that he is not using any filters :D

Michal Makowski
9-Dec-2007, 15:19
Looks like a MICHAEL FATALI wannabee to me. Wonder if they use the same printer to do all the real work for them while they flit from one oversaturated shoot to the next? (Wink wink, nod nod!)
Fatali is doing all his work in the darkroom ;)