PDA

View Full Version : Linhof 3 way levelling head question?

kev curry
7-Dec-2007, 03:53
Would it not be a hassle mounting the camera to the head If it doesn't have a QR plate?
I'm imagining it would be as problematic as trying to spin a camera onto a tripod thread without the head in place, if you see what I mean? I'm sure I'm missing something here?

Cheers
kev

David Millard
7-Dec-2007, 05:25
Greetings Kev -
The screws (3/8" or 1/4") are free, not fixed as on a tripod. It's very quick and easy to secure a camera on the head (no more trouble than screwing the clamp shut on an Arca style quick-release).
Regards,
David

Matus Kalisky
7-Dec-2007, 05:29
I have a Linhof 3D head and I have to say it is no problem to mount a camera (Tachihara 4x5 on it). The circular top plate is rubberized and once the camera is mounted there is no chace for it to rorate. You screw the mounting screw, not the camera.

I do not plan to get a QR for it. The mounting screw has a star-like shape and is large enough. I usually tillt the mounting plate first to have better access.

Just a little warning - make sure which mounting screw size you need there are both 3/8 and 1/4 available. I bought the head with a "wrong" one and had to order another screw separately (was about $30 or so)

See the attachement.

kev curry
7-Dec-2007, 05:38
Thanks David. Now could I really part with that sort of cash?
My thinking is it will be the first and last head I'll ever purchase!
Regards
kev

kev curry
7-Dec-2007, 05:47
Ahh... bad luck! Will make sure that I avoid that problem. Thanks for the incite Matus!
Best
kev

photographs42
7-Dec-2007, 07:49
........My thinking is it will be the first and last head I'll ever purchase!
Regards
kev

Kev,
Ha, you must be young! It doesn’t work that way. Once afflicted with the “Photography Disease” you will be unable to own just one of anything photographic.
Jerome :rolleyes:

kev curry
7-Dec-2007, 08:17
Jerome just a bairn at the tender age of 40!
I fear your probably right. This time last year I entered the world of LF holding a lovely little wooden Tachi and thought, this is the 'only' one for me, but just the other day almost a year later to the day, I picked up a lovely Tech V and I'm thinking.....Now... this is the 'one' for me! If I go ahead with the 3way head I'm 'sure' that will be it. It better had be at that blinking price!
I'm expecting it to last till I retire and I don't plan retiring till I'm at least 85!!
'Bairn' - old Scots word meaning child:D

Cheerfully
kev

Frank Petronio
7-Dec-2007, 09:18
Oh you can find a used Linhof head at a reasonable price. But yes, it is the best head I've ever owned, a good match for a 4x5 Technika.

(Scary thing is that with the Carbon Gitzo it is worth more than my cameras.)

kev curry
7-Dec-2007, 10:01
I happened to stumble on that very same bit of CRAZY arithmetic earlier! If someone told me 12 months ago I'd be spending that amount of bucks for camera support I would'av had a good gas..........:eek:

Still in recovery from the shock!
kev

Brian Ellis
7-Dec-2007, 13:34
"I bought the head with a "wrong" one and had to order another screw separately (was about $30 or so)"

Ah, $30 for a screw. Welcome to the wonderful world of Linhof. It must have been a Linhof Aufschweiden Spritzelbaden screw, that's the one with the Linhof crest of arms embedded in the cross hairs and the special geared threads. Did you have Marflex install it?

kev curry
8-Dec-2007, 03:16
Think I might super glue that "Linhof Aufschweiden Spritzelbaden screw" in!

Frank Petronio
8-Dec-2007, 06:42
if you remember to tilt the top down after you use it, you'll "lock" the screw in place and it can't unscrew itself and fall out.

In Linhof's defense, it is one really nice screw. It may, in fact, be the best screw I've ever experienced in my entire life. And once you get into Linhof, you get experienced ;-)

kev curry
8-Dec-2007, 06:52
Am gonna cut and paste your advice onto Gitzo's leg!

Rafael Macia
21-Dec-2007, 16:24
The head you are interested in has to be one of the finest heads ever designed. I own two 3663's.
Mind you, .....It is a knuckle breaker, because there is no friction control. Loosen a setting and the rig will fly down if you do not hold it. Why it is great, is the toggle levers which tighten the head. They are just such a pleasure to use, and they stay where tightened, never drifting.
I use mine with an Arca Quick Release holder. I would recommend some kind of Quick release device. The Linhof is good, but I like the arca better. One plate on the base, and one on the drop bed. You can slide back an forth balancing the weight of the rig, on your tripod, when you are using a long lens.
For instance; with my 360 I am under the drop bed, attached to the front Arca plate. With the normal or wide, I am attached to the body plate. Understand?

good luck

Rafael

Ron Bose
22-Dec-2007, 08:49
I'm a self-confessed tripod collector. The best head I own is the Linhof.

I have an RRS arca-style clamp screwed to the top of it and it works very, very well.

The RRS B35 plate was attached to a Gandolfi Variant 4x5, it now on my new Chamonix 45.

All of this on a Linhof twin-shank or one of the Ries tripods make this an excellent support !

kev curry
22-Dec-2007, 10:31
I'm very pleased with the new head, it seems so far to handle a 6lb+ Metal Field effortlessly, being rock solid at any angle with bellows at full extension and with minimal tightening of the levers. Although very secure, I'm not entirely sure if I'm comfortable using it without a QR system. I'm slowly getting used to mounting the camera straight onto the head, but I'm concerned that I might in time -throw in a little haste- thread the "Linhof Aufschweiden Spritzelbaden screw" or 'possibly' worse the screw mount on the Tech! Maybe look into a QR plate. Will see how things go as I move along.

kev

kev curry
22-Dec-2007, 10:39
"Just a little warning - make sure which mounting screw size you need there are both 3/8 and 1/4 available. I bought the head with a "wrong" one and had to order another screw separately (was about $30 or so)"

Matus I didn't have any problems I was supplied with both size screws.
kev