PDA

View Full Version : Avenger C Stand

SAShruby
28-Nov-2007, 21:52
I'm shopping for a light stands. Based on some reviews I came across this Avenger stand (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/289149-REG/Avenger_A225SCBK_Black_Turtle_Base_Century.html).

I recently bought Norman lights Li2500's and LH4000 Head. What do you think of this stand? I like the flexibility and price. There is also a possibility to buy Avenger (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=continueShopping&Q=) without arm for $121.95. Do I need arm or not?

Mark Woods
28-Nov-2007, 22:02
I'd look at Matthews, Norm's, and American for the C Stands. I own 20 and use them all on occasion, but not for light stands. I have stands for the lights. The C Stands hold all sorts of things, like mirrors, bead board, nets, flags, etc. I love them On set it's impossible to work without them. Think of placing a shadow right where you want it. BTW, Norm's are the cheapest, but if you don't know how to use them, they will frustrate you greatly. Mine are all Norm's. Good luck and knock yourself out.

vinny
28-Nov-2007, 22:23
Since you're in a large city with tons of film production going on, i'd check around for used gear on craigslist under photo/video equipment. As Mark said, c stands aren't made for lights but they are essential for grip gear. You can always buy the head/arm combo to add onto a regular light stand. Arri, Bogen, and others make lightweight "kit stands" out of aluminum that are cheaper and still reach to about 11ft but won't hold heavy gear offset to the side via arm/head. American studio equipment in Burbank, CA makes the best c stands and light stands period. It's what you'll find in most rental houses. http://www.americangrip.com

SAShruby
28-Nov-2007, 23:30
Well, my only concern is that if I put large softboxes on the light stand I don't want to see them bend like crescent moon and flim over. Those softboxes will put center of gravity way out of vertical axis of the stand.

Also, I'd like to have an option to set up light stand on uneven ground, i.e. on the hill.
What about this one (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/407392-REG/Dyna_Lite_0473_Black_Heavy_Duty_Light.html)?

Frank Petronio
28-Nov-2007, 23:32
Google... BOOMS

SAShruby
28-Nov-2007, 23:44
Google... BOOMS

Well there are:

C stands, Bogen, Gioto, Pic, Norman, Dyna-lite, Broncolor, Comet, Lowel, Photogenic, SP-Systems, Speedotron, Matthews, Avenger, American Grip, Other noname ebay brands like Amvona etc.

Lots of choices.:eek: :cool:

SAShruby
29-Nov-2007, 00:11
Another question.

What is boom arm good for? How often I'd use such a thing?

Michael Graves
29-Nov-2007, 04:51
Another question.

What is boom arm good for? How often I'd use such a thing?

I'm with Frank. I bought a boom arm last year for a hair light stand and wound up ordering another one after I discovered that the hairlight would never displace the light box. A boom is a counterweighted arm that fits across the top of your light stand. You can adjust angles and extension quite easily and the counterweight balances nicely. I use a canvas bag filled with BBs instead of the bracketed one. Four 3lb cannisters fit in nicely. I can take out a cannister if I want to use just a Speedo 102, and add it back when I have the softbox. Not only that, but I made a strap for my Berlebach with a clip to hold the bag. So on a windy day, I take that bag with me and use it to add support to the tripod.

Robert Ley
29-Nov-2007, 06:48
Peter,

Check out this stand http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/152015-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_3398B_3398B_Boom_Stand.html
I have two of these stand/booms and they work great are very sturdy and handle a fairly heavy medium hot light softbox with ease.
Cheers,
Robert

Frank Petronio
29-Nov-2007, 09:24
The medium to large PHOTO stands (not the CINE stuff) will hold any professional strobe head with a medium 30x40 inch soft box all day long.

http://www.lowel.com/stands_poles.html

This is the ultimate one you want (it even has a leg leveler):

Lowel Grand Stand
Max. Height: 10.5' (3.1 m)
Folded Length: 43" (1.1 m)
Max. Base Diameter: 4'5" (1.35 m)
Min. Tube Diameter / Max. Tube Diameter: 1" (2.54 cm) / 1 3/8" (3.51 cm)
Weight: 6.75 lbs (3 kg)
Legs/Number of Risers: Double-strut leg brace, tubular legs with holes for casters or anchors. 2 Risers.
U.S. List Price: $205.00
Recommended Uses & Notes: Variflector, larger/heavier lights, Big Boom. Extra wide base, one leg extends longer for use on uneven ground, gray anodized stand with air-cushioned sections & direct screw clamping.

A C stand is still much heavier, shorter, and less appropriate than a good light stand for what you need.

Most professional photographers "get by" with far lighter stands actually. $50-$80 stands do the majority of the work in most studios.

Cine quality stuff is wonderful and robust, but it is also $$$ and heavy. Movie sets have trucks dedicated to hauling grip equipment.

For my work I need to be able to fly with it... in a normal checked airline safe bag.

A boom allows you to put the light up and over something, and the counterbalance makes it stable. You can find simple short boom arms or complex geared ones that you can control from the balance end.

My suggestion? Get 3-4 medium sized Bogen/Lowel/Pic stands and go from there. You will always need and use those stands.

SAShruby
29-Nov-2007, 15:10
Thanks. I will consider all suggestions.

Harold_4074
30-Nov-2007, 13:15
I will consider all suggestions.

Ok, then in that spirit I will suggest--for studio use--the Manfrotto castered stands that used to be sold by Calumet as their "heavy duty stands". A big softbox is awkward enough, without having to pick up the feet of the stand to move it.

I bought one of the Calumet booms when they were on sale a few months ago, and was disappointed to find that it is a Chinese-manufactured knock-off of the basic Manfrotto. Probably a good enough value for the money, but definitely not the quality level of the older Calumet stands.

And one other thing---if you can, go for air-cushioned stands. Norman equipment is known for being tough and reliable, but not exactly light.

The steel cine stands with casters are really wonderful (particularly for hair lights and fresnel spots) because they are stable up high, and the center column can go down between the leg braces for a lower placement. But they are big, heavy, and expensive!